GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

N80 Purge Valve

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Anyone yet have the pleasure of replacing their N80 EVAP purge valve?

rejectri

Ready to race!
nope but I am pretty sure that’s what is causing my “very small evap leak” CEL- let me know how it goes

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
nope but I am pretty sure that’s what is causing my “very small evap leak” CEL- let me know how it goes
You could be right. Will do.

Not on my MK7 but I did have to change it on my MK5 back when I had it. I hope this doesn't become a common issue on the MK7.
Hope so too.

I had a P0441, "Incorrect Flow" as a pending fault (not yet a Christmas light on the dash).

The fuel cap was the first thing to check. No change.

Tried clearing all codes through Vagcom and waited 2 days and confirmed emissions readiness was back (fuel, EVAP, EGR, etc). P0441 was again pending.

Last thing was running the Vagcom output test 2 times on the EVAP valve. Returned a "Finished-Timeout" both times. Couldn't find much on the wobderweb about timeout result. Now waiting for readiness again to see if the code returns. But ordered the N80 in any event. Just $25 from a local dealer.

Crud_muffin

Ready to race!
Car(s)
e-Golf
Just an update and hopefully some helpful links. Possibly this can be used to diagnose a faulty N80 valve for our cars.

P0441 didn't come back even as pending and EVAP has been in 'ready' under emissions for 2 days. Not expecting it back. Still want to figure out why and test if possible. Found this helpful thread from an Audi TT forum discussing the N80 related fault code. Link below. It discusses how to make use of the Vagcom output test (much appreciated).

The output test apparently sends repeated signals to the N80 valve to purge the line. This will allow a person to check if the line is flowing correctly. But it involves hooking up something to measure the flow. In this case, a vacuum bleeder from Harbor Freight was used with a flexible brake line hose.

First was determined that the valve could maintain 10 psi pressure for an extended time. That involved simply connecting the test line from the bleeder tool to the side that normally is connected on the canister end. Picture below.

After confirming that, the output test through Vagcom was done (image below). It was determined that the system was both opening the valve (electronic clicking) and pulling the air through properly (measured on the bleeder tool gauge).

All in all, the test indicates the valve is maintaining pressure and purging upon command.

But where did the code come from? A video from Charles, Humble Mechanic, on YouTube seems to shed light. Link below. In it he explains that the charcoal canister can be the source of what plugs up the N80 valve and that it happens when filling the gas tank too full. In this instance, the gas wasn't ever pumped beyond the first 'click' from handle at the gas station, but just before the P0441 I did refuel after only using 1 gallon from the previous fill-up (just before a road trip). Based on his explanation, charcoal could have been introduced into the EVAP system and subsequently the N80 valve. Will continue to monitor. Hope this helps someone!

Note: As Charles answered in the video comments, if the N80 was in fact clogged by charcoal, a person may consider also replacing the charcoal canister too.

http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=206130
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IWzZzZb6B8&t=1s

Attachments

• Vacuum.jpg
    Vacuum.jpg
    979.8 KB · Views: 1,440
  • VCDS2.jpg
    VCDS2.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,431