GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Winter Tire Setup for 2017 Golf R

sebastian1

Passed Driver's Ed
Was looking up tirerack for a winter setup on my 2017 Golf R. I've never had to deal with tires on my previous cars especially for winter.

After some research, I am convinced I am going to change my 19 Pretoria Summer Performance tires for the winter here in Portland, OR.

Since we do not receive a lot of snow in the metro areas( the snow I'd be encountering would be on weekend ski trips) , I thought of going with the below setup:

O.Z. FORMULA HLT
17*8, 48mm offset Wheels and

Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3
225/45/R17 Winter Performance Tires.

Since I configured this on Tirerack for a Golf R, I'm guessing it should fit right clearing the brakes.

Let me know if I should be aware of anything else I should factor in and also if there's a better/cheaper choice I could make.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I'll just be doing the Pirelli sottozero's on my OEM 19 Prets(I bought the wheel and tire warranty with the car so potholes matter not). No sense in spending 1k on a seperate wheel/tire setup when I can get the tires for the cheaper. Plus if you're looking at getting a nice set of summer wheels its a lot to have 3 sets.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
I'll just be doing the Pirelli sottozero's on my OEM 19 Prets(I bought the wheel and tire warranty with the car so potholes matter not). No sense in spending 1k on a seperate wheel/tire setup when I can get the tires for the cheaper. Plus if you're looking at getting a nice set of summer wheels its a lot to have 3 sets.

Actually, getting a second set of snow wheel/tire package is cheaper.

19" snow tire set = $1200
Mounting and balance every year = $100 -$150

So, you spend about $1350 first year and extra $100-$150 every year on top of that. Also, possble damage when mounting/unmounting the tires, and the damage to the tires as well.

Also, 19" snow tire will not perform well compare to 17" and narrow snow tires.

I got my winter wheels/tires package from Tire Rack for $780 which will last at least 4-5 years without spending extra money.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Actually, getting a second set of snow wheel/tire package is cheaper.

19" snow tire set = $1200
Mounting and balance every year = $100 -$150

So, you spend about $1350 first year and extra $100-$150 every year on top of that. Also, possble damage when mounting/unmounting the tires, and the damage to the tires as well.

Also, 19" snow tire will not perform well compare to 17" and narrow snow tires.

I got my winter wheels/tires package from Tire Rack for $780 which will last at least 4-5 years without spending extra money.
No idea where you're looking but the 19" pirelli are only like $850 not $1200. I could easily spend that $850 on a 2nd set of wheels that I would never use and then have to find space for 3 sets of wheels.

Performance doesnt matter as the car is awd, i would go for all Seasons but they dont make them in 235/35/19.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Performance doesnt matter as the car is awd, i would go for all Seasons but they dont make them in 235/35/19.

Performance definitely still matters even on an AWD car.. I don't know where you are but where i am its mostly cold and slushy, with a few snowy days so getting a nice performance winter tire is well worth it IMO. I went down to 18" because it gives me more sidewall than the 19", would have gone with 17"s but i didn't like the look.

Very happy with my set of 18" 225-40-18 Pirelli Sottozero 3s, car was an absolute beast last winter and i'm looking forward to season #2 with them.

All in i think it was like $1200 for tires and rims, makes it super easy to swap them. Definitely wouldn't want to run 19s in the winter, roads get pretty bad.

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Performance definitely still matters even on an AWD car.. I don't know where you are but where i am its mostly cold and slushy, with a few snowy days so getting a nice performance winter tire is well worth it IMO. I went down to 18" because it gives me more sidewall than the 19", would have gone with 17"s but i didn't like the look.

Very happy with my set of 18" 225-40-18 Pirelli Sottozero 3s, car was an absolute beast last winter and i'm looking forward to season #2 with them.

All in i think it was like $1200 for tires and rims, makes it super easy to swap them. Definitely wouldn't want to run 19s in the winter, roads get pretty bad.
$1200 for a new setup vs $800 for tires. Hmmm thats an easy decision

nate704

Go Kart Champion
No idea where you're looking but the 19" pirelli are only like $850 not $1200. I could easily spend that $850 on a 2nd set of wheels that I would never use and then have to find space for 3 sets of wheels.

Go to Tire rack and search for the Pirelli Sottozero 3s. They are more than $260 per wheel, and shipping is more than $100.

Also, there are plenty of all season tires for 235/35R 19 size.

Also, AWD is useless without proper tires.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
My 2 cents: No all seasons for me -- I like running summer tires in the warm/hot months and true winter/snow tires when it's cold. I want grip when I launch and through the twisties; I like to stop and start with control even on hills in the snow, which is great fun for me to drive in. This winter, I'll throw good snow tires on my stock rims. If I had a few more bucks, I'd spring for some 18" Pretorias wrapped in slightly taller and narrower winter tires. If I had a few more bucks, I'd do this with 18" BBS RFs.

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I run 2nd hand OEM 17s for the winter, they are heavier but also usually beefier since the roads here tend to fall apart....

SLOWR

Ready to race!
I got a question about winter rims! Will 17 inch wheels clear the stock mk7 golf r brakes? If so will a 17x8 et45 wheel fit without issues. I'm just worried about the front brake clearance.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
I run 17" wheels with Michelin snow tires. Works great. I've run 18" snows before (and have a set that won't fit the R in my garage, but no one wants 235-45 R18 snows, apparently, as I've not been able to sell them) and they were just ok.

So yeah, you can use your stock wheels and run 18 or 19 inch snows and buy fancy wheels for the summer, but you will give up some snow performance IMO. Depends where you are, though. Portland is not terrible I guess; northern Vermont where I am is.

SLOWR

Ready to race!
Considering going with 17's or 18's with 225 winters. If our winter up here in Vancouver BC is bad as last year, then I will be needing winters.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
In general, I have found that actual winter tires are far superior to all-seasons in everything other than situations where, really, there is no winter.