GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I dropped it off at their shop and they're taking a look at it today.

I'm just worried there's going to be engine damage... I'd be the happiest dude alive if they call me back and tell me the radiator and hoses have been fixed and that's it. Now on the other hand, if they call back and tell me about a warped head gasket/cylinder head...

It has to get pretty hot to hurt the motor, you're probably OK.

I blew a motor up on 32psi of boost on pump gas during an extended WOT pull over a bridge. Stretched the head studs and pressurized the block, blew out a freeze plug.

Had to drive it for a few miles with no coolant to find somewhere to pull over.

New ARPs and a new head gasket, the rest of it was fine. No water pump or head issues.

ashiun

Ready to race!
It has to get pretty hot to hurt the motor, you're probably OK.

I blew a motor up on 32psi of boost on pump gas during an extended WOT pull over a bridge. Stretched the head studs and pressurized the block, blew out a freeze plug.

Had to drive it for a few miles with no coolant to find somewhere to pull over.

New ARPs and a new head gasket, the rest of it was fine. No water pump or head issues.

ARPs?

That sounds pretty scary actually lol:eek:
Similar to me, I did a WOT pull and got the coolant warning, and had to drive slowly for another 3 minutes to pull over. I wouldn'tbe surprised to find similar damages.

uberpolka

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
I dropped it off at their shop and they're taking a look at it today.

I'm just worried there's going to be engine damage... I'd be the happiest dude alive if they call me back and tell me the radiator and hoses have been fixed and that's it. Now on the other hand, if they call back and tell me about a warped head gasket/cylinder head...

Holy shit Dude. The IC only goes in one way. You don't even touch the radiator hoses during the install. Hope eventhing is ok.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
ARPs?

That sounds pretty scary actually lol:eek:
Similar to me, I did a WOT pull and got the coolant warning, and had to drive slowly for another 3 minutes to pull over. I wouldn'tbe surprised to find similar damages.

My situation was definitely a detonation event. I used to tune my own stuff and back then I couldn't leave a single horsepower on the table, so I either went FAST, blew up, or both.

The ARP studs were only stretched a few thousandths but apparently it was enough.

Don't ask me how the bottom end stayed together. It had standard Eagle rods and they held.

Replaced the stretched ARPs with ARP L19 tool steel studs and threw even more power at it.

Last edited:

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
Bms is showcasing a brand new intercooler for n54/n55 for $299 today on instagram. Hopefully the mk7 version will soon follow.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Bms is showcasing a brand new intercooler for n54/n55 for $299 today on instagram. Hopefully the mk7 version will soon follow.

299? Amazing

ashiun

Ready to race!
OK. Crisis averted. Radiator did come loose from the intercooler, and rubbed against a pulley/belt and popped the outlet hose. Supposedly it's the intercooler's fault, which I'm wiling to believe... I've heard of cases similar to this.

So, there you have it. The CTS Turbo may require a bit too much trimming and may not be the most secure if you're not careful. It works, but you're going to have to double down on connecting your condensor/radiator back onto it. We're going to make sure the connection is rock solid.

ashiun

Ready to race!
Mr. Frank Mabo from Mabotech been talking down on other intercoolers on a facebook page recently... he's claiming the Wagner IC is worse than stock and that he has data to back it up, whilst promoting his own upcoming intercooler.

He hasn't shared data yet so until then I'll consider it shameless self-promotion (this is on a member's post about getting his new Wagner IC Lol) and typical marketing hoo-ha.

Just thought you guys might've liked to know.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Mr. Frank Mabo from Mabotech been talking down on other intercoolers on a facebook page recently... he's claiming the Wagner IC is worse than stock and that he has data to back it up, whilst promoting his own upcoming intercooler.

He hasn't shared data yet so until then I'll consider it shameless self-promotion (this is on a member's post about getting his new Wagner IC Lol) and typical marketing hoo-ha.

Just thought you guys might've liked to know.

Idiot - will never purchase from people who bash other companies...extremely unprofessional

ashiun

Ready to race!
Idiot - will never purchase from people who bash other companies...extremely unprofessional

Yeah, maybe I'm just cranky this morning but he really rubbed me the wrong way. Some guy's just excitedly sharing his receiving the Wagner IC, and Mabo just comes in and posts: "That's actually WORSE than stock, but good luck there."

Come on lol, way to rain on his party with a lil uncalled for passive aggressiveness. You'd think he'd make his own post with all the relevant data if he wants to make a splash, not by telling someone the product he just bought is garbage.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Yeah, maybe I'm just cranky this morning but he really rubbed me the wrong way. Some guy's just excitedly sharing his receiving the Wagner IC, and Mabo just comes in and posts: "That's actually WORSE than stock, but good luck there."

Come on lol, way to rain on his party with a lil uncalled for passive aggressiveness. You'd think he'd make his own post with all the relevant data if he wants to make a splash, not by telling someone the product he just bought is garbage.

Lucky I’m not on his FB group

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs

I suggest not buying from Autrey and BMP then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk