GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SRE (Sachs) clutch kits 580ft-lbs DMF for <$700

gti5notrkt1

Passed Driver's Ed
Anyone installed either of these two SRE Sachs clutch kits in an R? The performance one is rated (apparently very conservatively) at 410 ft-lbs and I believe it's the basis for the HOD 6GT/HS Tuning RSR kits. The other one is the racing version with a 4-puck disc rated at 580 ft-lbs. Costs for the pressure plate and disc kits run from $650-700 shipped to the US direct from Sachs.

'Performance'
https://www.sachsperformance.com/en/clutch-kit/performance-clutch-sachs/performance-clutch-kit-002352-999502

'Racing'
https://www.sachsperformance.com/en/clutch-kit/performance-clutch-sachs/performance-clutch-kit-002352-999505

Thanks,
Jon

TheProfessional

Go Kart Newbie
I think somebody has the SRE performance version (Emmanuelle Design is a US distributor). That the first I have seen of the racing version. I like that it can be used with the stock flywheel. Pretty confident I would go with that if I decide to do the clutch.

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
That pucked clutch version has terrible street manners, it is literally an on/off switch and it has a very high release like usual from all the Sachs kits.

We have used the SRE kit which has a 15% holding capacity over stock.

I do not recommend either of these kits if you want a nice street able clutch to hold stage 2+ power. The SRE for the Golf R uses a slightly modified factory pressure plate, there isn't enough room to make further changes while retaining the factory DMF.

We are a Sachs performance and Sachs Racing Distributor too but definitely don't recommend the pucked version, and do recommend the SRE if you plan to go stage 1 high torque, but entirely unsure of longevity and the ability to withstand long term abuse of high torque stage 2. That SRE clutch is only rated to 580nm which is roughly 408 lb ft at the crank. These cars make roughly that to the wheels stage 2, so be aware.

That pucked clutch version has terrible street manners, it is literally an on/off switch and it has a very high release like usual from all the Sachs kits.

We have used the SRE kit which has a 15% holding capacity over stock.

I do not recommend either of these kits if you want a nice street able clutch to hold stage 2+ power. The SRE for the Golf R uses a slightly modified factory pressure plate, there isn't enough room to make further changes while retaining the factory DMF.

We are a Sachs performance and Sachs Racing Distributor too but definitely don't recommend the pucked version, and do recommend the SRE if you plan to go stage 1 high torque, but entirely unsure of longevity and the ability to withstand long term abuse of high torque stage 2. That SRE clutch is only rated to 580nm which is roughly 408 lb ft at the crank. These cars make roughly that to the wheels stage 2, so be aware.

Sachs Performance is not SRE, they are simply a distributor. So the 15% increase kit is just a modified stock PP that is not endorsed by SRE. The second kit that the OP posted is a soon-to-be-released option with a re-engineered PP directly from SRE. I anticipate this being a very street friendly clutch that will have no issues with stock turbo power levels.

In terms of power ratings, keep in mind those are directly from the manufacturer. Many of the Sachs discs that others rebrand into their kits are only rated to 300 lb ft, so a 400 ft lb rating from Sachs is going to be very conservative. We have multiple GTI customers running the Stage 1 kit on IS38 setups, with no slippage.

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
Sachs Performance is not SRE, they are simply a distributor. So the 15% increase kit is just a modified stock PP that is not endorsed by SRE. The second kit that the OP posted is a soon-to-be-released option with a re-engineered PP directly from SRE. I anticipate this being a very street friendly clutch that will have no issues with stock turbo power levels.

In terms of power ratings, keep in mind those are directly from the manufacturer. Many of the Sachs discs that others rebrand into their kits are only rated to 300 lb ft, so a 400 ft lb rating from Sachs is going to be very conservative. We have multiple GTI customers running the Stage 1 kit on IS38 setups, with no slippage.

Right. I stand corrected I didn't mean to use the SRE terminology, meant just "performance" in which the +15% was branded before. When we used the +15% kits, there was no SRE kit in question, this was a recent addition and with the pre-order they did a few months ago.

I am curious to see how the SRE turns out, but if the SRE version is anything like the TTRS SRE clutch or the pucked SRE TDi clutches, I certainly won't enjoy driving it! :eek:

GTI's are vastly different in how the power is transferred to the ground, It is going to be harder to make a kit last on a Golf R. But we will find out. :D