GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How much does having only 5 speed matter as a DD?

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
Hi guys.

If I can't find a low mileage mk4 GLI, I'm probably gonna get a mk7 Golf 5 speed.

I don't mind that it's not as fast as the GTI, seats are not as bolstered, but the 5 speed manual...is it something you get used to or are you always wanting the 6 speed?

Any other reasons why I should go for the GTI besides the Golf?

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
For daily the 5mt is perfect! The gear ratios are just that you don't ever feel the need to skip a gear, but the car has enough torque that it doesn't feel like you need a gear in between just to keep up with anyone else, and 5th gear is even longer than the GTI's 6th gear so it's great for the highway. The only time I start wishing for a 6mt is when I'm really pushing the car on the track. When flat out the difference between 2nd and 3rd is too much, and I only shift into 4th at 110+ mph.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Ummm.everything he said.

Actually pretty enjoyable. Never miss the 6th gear. Honestly modern turbo engines are so torquey, don't need the extra gears. Don't track the car, so can't speak to that.

There's a few mods (short shifter, delay valve removal, clutch stop) to make it more direct and tactile, none of which I've done (except clutch stop)

17S

Another satisfied 5MT owner here... Sometimes I want a little lower of a 1st gear for launching (would probably spin the tires more than it already does), but a nice driver overall.

somerset9

Go Kart Newbie
That is all great to hear. I'll just have to wait until preowned Golfs start showing up.

A lot of mods I have planned for the Golf are ones I'd have done for the GTI anyway. Cup kit, sway bars, mounts, etc. 170 hp/180 lb ft is plenty for a DD. I'll miss the sweet plaid seats but won't matter too much when I'm behind the wheel :)

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
And I'm sure you've seen, but if you do ever feel like you're lacking on power, a $400 turbo + $470 JB4 and you'll be competing with stage 1 GTI's. There's no beating the mk7 1.8t for price to performance of a new car.

Attanasio666

And I'm sure you've seen, but if you do ever feel like you're lacking on power, a $400 turbo + $470 JB4 and you'll be competing with stage 1 GTI's. There's no beating the mk7 1.8t for price to performance of a new car.
From what I've seen is20 go for about 1000$ though but I get what you mean.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
From what I've seen is20 go for about 1000$ though but I get what you mean.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Those are IS38 which usually go for $800-$1000 used.
IS20 used go for around $400 & occasionally you can find a bargain in a junkyard or from a motivated seller.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
If you buy an IS20 for more than $400 you've done something wrong. There's no reason to get a new IS20 as long as you can find a used 722x version with no more than 10,000 or so miles.

Ouishank

5 Speed

The gear ratios are very wide. Since the ratios are so wide you have to rev the engine to 4.5k to 5k so when you shift to the next gear it doesn't fall too far out of the power band. I would prefer the 6 speed, but didn't want to spend the extra money for the GTI. The 1.8 does have decent power with the 5 speed.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Hi guys.

If I can't find a low mileage mk4 GLI, I'm probably gonna get a mk7 Golf 5 speed.

I don't mind that it's not as fast as the GTI, seats are not as bolstered, but the 5 speed manual...is it something you get used to or are you always wanting the 6 speed?

Any other reasons why I should go for the GTI besides the Golf?
I drove a 5 speed MK5 "Golf" for 9 years, never once did I wish I had a sixth gear.