GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock Block Limits

USA

Ready to race!
Just joined and have done some reading here. 1st let me say this is a informative and civil forum. Thank you. The FB group is another story. I am reading that the stock block handles 500 whp and I did not get the TQ info. But what about the DSG trans? What limit does it have also? On a side note car with 10 miles on it needs to be broke in. What mileage is considered broke in. Thanks in advance.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Somewhat accepted ranges are 450whp and about the same for wtq. Many will claim hp doesn’t break engines it’s the tq, they’re kinda right.

Tuned dsg’s supposedly can handle up to 600 ft lbs without clutch pack upgrades, although that seems optimistic to me. They are pretty stout though and many are running over, well over, 400 wtq without issues, at least so far

There is some concern with stock lifters, valves, in the head over 425 whp

Personally I believe in “hard” break ins. Never had an issue on any of my cars doing it, others will argue including the owners manual. I just do maintenance much earlier than most, change fluids regularly early

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I've always done a few heat cycles then hard break in as well. Worked well on my mx bikes as well as my three new Volkswagens I've bought. Very minimal oil consumption confirms that it works. In my eyes at least

USA

Ready to race!
Somewhat accepted ranges are 450whp and about the same for wtq. Many will claim hp doesn’t break engines it’s the tq, they’re kinda right.

Tuned dsg’s supposedly can handle up to 600 ft lbs without clutch pack upgrades, although that seems optimistic to me. They are pretty stout though and many are running over, well over, 400 wtq without issues, at least so far

There is some concern with stock lifters, valves, in the head over 425 whp

Personally I believe in “hard” break ins. Never had an issue on any of my cars doing it, others will argue including the owners manual. I just do maintenance much earlier than most, change fluids regularly early
Great answer. Thank you for giving an idea where this engine stands.

I've always done a few heat cycles then hard break in as well. Worked well on my mx bikes as well as my three new Volkswagens I've bought. Very minimal oil consumption confirms that it works. In my eyes at least
Sounds about right. Thank you

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Great answer. Thank you for giving an idea where this engine stands.

Sounds about right. Thank you

Sure bud, no problem.

I know that boss500 kit guys with fueling, see around 410-450whp and 400-430wtq and don’t seem to have issues assuming the tunes dialed in. The boss600 with fueling, guys see more hp but usually just a little less tq, those guys seem to be pushing the limits of the head with the extra 25-60hp. Basically they seem to think it’s fine on a street car, not alway being wot, but on a purpose built car that they’re beating seem to suggest upgrading the valve train. The few I know of are on stock dsg’s just tuned/tcu’s

I’m looking at doing one of those 2 kits so I’ve been absorbing everything I can also :)

USA

Ready to race!
Sure bud, no problem.

I know that boss500 kit guys with fueling, see around 410-450whp and 400-430wtq and don’t seem to have issues assuming the tunes dialed in. The boss600 with fueling, guys see more hp but usually just a little less tq, those guys seem to be pushing the limits of the head with the extra 25-60hp. Basically they seem to think it’s fine on a street car, not alway being wot, but on a purpose built car that they’re beating seem to suggest upgrading the valve train. The few I know of are on stock dsg’s just tuned/tcu’s

I’m looking at doing one of those 2 kits so I’ve been absorbing everything I can also :)
Keep us in the loop with which kit you get. I am reading and reading with so much to learn. Just not enough time. But I am trying. I want to do this once. Not buy and swap parts for more parts.

madelinot

Ready to race!
I'm in the same boat. I'm actually waiting on Unitronic to release their big turbo kit to decide which direction I will go. CTS really looks attractive, especially once they release their fueling kit. Waiting until next spring...