Stock spark plugs with IS20

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
I got mine from ECS.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Google the part number 06K905601M and buy online. These are the NGK RS7 plugs. Got mine in a 4 pack from HS Tuning.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Cool, thanks, Sounds like they may have moved to the NGK's after 2015 for some reason. Many give the VW automatics a bad wrap, but I have yet to hear about one with issues or problems holding all the extra power we are throwing at them (knocks on wood!). Paddle shifting is great. At least we didn't get one of the weaker DSG's that have torque limitations that are lower than ours. It is a german engineered/made ZF tranny. ZF's have been proven over the years. They make trannys for Audi, Honda, BMW, Porsche, Ford, Mercedes, Bentley, RR, and many others. Essentially the market leader from what I understand.

It was a little sloppy stock after you add the power but just adding the dogbone mount alone made it shift a lot crisper and the shift speed is at least as fast as I can shift a manual if not faster.

Gawernator

Go Kart Champion
Where you all getting these plugs when I rang audi and asked for them they asked for my reg number I explained they are going in a golf gti(he sniggered) and he said with out a reg number he can't sell them as there are different types.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I got mine from ECS tuning like $50-55 for 4 shipped Beru RS7 plug. Also not sure what’s going on with that dealer. Just tell them the part number and quantity they can order anything. Never been hassled once at a porsche dealership.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Well need is a strong word, but is safer to have is a different story. You will probably be fine with stock plugs gaped to .024", but the RS7 plugs are only a tad more expensive and are guaranteed to be sufficient. APR did update their site to say that the stock plugs gapped are sufficient up to IS20 levels, but recommend swapping them for IS38 levels.

Last edited:

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
Well, for some insight. Here are my RS7 plugs after 20k. I didn't notice any glaring issues, other than the occasional stumble during idle, which made the car feel like it was stalling. It began after about 5k on the plugs.

They are shown as taken out of the motor, from passenger side to driver.

Slick99

Ready to race!
many of the gti owners r switching to brisk silver racing plugs as its much cheaper compare to rs7 plugs, m still confused which one to go for with rs3 coils.

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
Another 18k miles, another set of spark plugs.
IMG_20200413_213204[1].jpg

They (RS7 plugs) look maybe a bit better than the stock plugs did at this mileage, definitely sooty but not as burnt or black. I probably could have gone a while longer on these plugs, maybe I'll try waiting until ~25k miles next time.