GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Warranty & exhaust changes

KINLIN89

Hi Folks just looking for second opinions...

Really tempted to get the GTI rear valance for my GTD and then change the exhaust at the rear to get a GTI style one. I have the sport actuation exhaust so there is no rear exhaust box and just looks like pipe work which is pretty easy to change then to a GTI style exhaust set up and tips, my worry is about VW warranty as my car is only a few months old? been speaking to my local VW garage where I bought the car and they said as I understand they can’t give a definitive yes or no whether it will void warranty, on the off chance a change in back pressure should bring up a light or fault or any other exhaust related problems then I would be liable but surly if I am only changing the pipe work it shouldn’t affect anything??

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
When I put my Remus axle back on I asked the dealer first and they said absolutely no issues with warrant apart from exhaust components as it needs to be cut due to it being a single piece.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
I will tell you what I tell everyone, and what my dealer's warranty administrator would tell you. Any modification does not void a warranty out of the gate, never. But, should something fail, and should that something be even remotely related to your mod, you can kiss the warranty goodbye. Mods open you up to scrutiny and can lead you down the path we never want to walk.

I plan to delete my resonator(as soon as I find a reputable fabricator) and just for shits and giggles I called my warranty admin at his desk. I told him my plans, and he said that if anything happened to my emissions systems or exhaust system, and I didn't take it to my dealer(I can get away with murder there), I could have my emissions and power-train voided. The good thing for us is many VW service shops are slow since dieselgate, and are hard pressed to turn work away. So as long as your GFF log and flash counter are normal on the dealers end, most likely you won't have any issues.

As a tech I would only flag cars or request a vehicle be returned to factory hardware if it kept me from running a GFF test plan or installing the part that was needed. If my test plan was bunk, I didn't get paid. If the test plan asked me "is the vehicle's ______ system intact and utilizing factory hardware" I wouldn't lie.

Comes down to the dealer, the technician that gets your car, and the nature of the mod. An exhaust doesn't show up on a GFF log, as a tech I wouldn't bat an eyelash at it, unless promoted to do so. Only twice did mods stop me from completely warranty work, one was an intake, and the other car was a stage 3 with a fried ECM. Guy jumped his battery terminals backwards and took out the ECM. The stage 3 tune had absolutely nothing to do with it, but the car had non-factory software levels and VW said sorry, your SOL. GTI had 4k miles on it and the dude had to buy and ECM, which when I installed it had factory software levels. Needless to say the thing ran like garbage untill he could get his APR flash again hahaha.

KINLIN89

So realistically there wouldn't be any real faults that could be related to my exhaust modifications, even worse case scenario? As in the GTD with sound pack it's only pipe work at the rear anyway?? Sorry for being stupid I just wanna be 100% sure before I do it lol