GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Intercooler performance

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
There is a ton of data above and I'm pretty new to ICs.

Bottom line, which is the best based on the data above if IAT's aren't the only story here?

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
I'd consider an IC a recommended stage 1 modification and a required stage 2 modification.

The stock unit works well enough (unless you are throttling it) stock. Starts having issues at stage 1, and the cars ecu starts reducing power as low as 104F. (boost temp) Source: Forgemotorsports

Best IC? Lots of factors there.

1) I don't want to modify my car and don't want to spend hours installing an intercooler.
Forge twincooler is pretty much your only option.

2) I want a good intercooler that nobody can see, but don't like spending money.
Unitronic stock replacement. (pending more logs)

3) I want a good intercooler that shows off that I got an intercooler. CTS FMIC (up to stage2). [Note: Don't have a lot of data on the neuspeeds yet]

4) I want a good intercooler. Pretty much all the other stock replacements. IE comes with a water meth bung, which is a nice bonus.

Data is still being collected. There is not really a "best" intercooler. But based on your mod log, I'd go with an APR intercooler when you decide to jump to stage 2. (since everything else is APR)

Bawlti

Ready to race!
Hey guys, any data or feedback on the CTS direct-fit intercooler? (Not the FMIC one)

It's pretty big:

Last edited:

B95zP

Ready to race!
Hey guys, any data or feedback on the CTS direct-fit intercooler? (Not the FMIC one)

It's pretty big:

I wouldn't call it a direct-fit when you have to...
Using a cut-off disc on Dremel, trim the a/c condenser tabs in order to clear the radiator support by approx 1/4”-1/2” and reinstall a/c condenser.

Due to that I'd go elsewhere.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Last edited:

Venumous

Ready to race!
My buddy just installed the CTS stock replacement on his Stage 2 ED R and is happy with it.

moonluv810

Ready to race!

Bawlti

Ready to race!
I wouldn't call it a direct-fit when you have to...
Using a cut-off disc on Dremel, trim the a/c condenser tabs in order to clear the radiator support by approx 1/4”-1/2” and reinstall a/c condenser.
Due to that I'd go elsewhere.

Actually, I did bought it! Found a used one for a really cheap price, I couldn't pass on it. But I went through CTS instructions and I must say seeing an dremel tool in the recommended tools made me raise an eyebrow. I don't really care if I absolutely need to trim the A/C condenser tabs, but I would prefer not to. I will send an email to ask directly CTS.

My buddy just installed the CTS stock replacement on his Stage 2 ED R and is happy with it.

I haven't posted logs but it's working well on my is38 setup. Consistent pull to pull.

Nice thanks guys! I know the CTS ic is not as high end as the IE, but the quality, just like most CTS products I already have, looks pretty good.

By the way did you guys trim the a/c condenser tabs?

Last edited:

Torqued

Passed Driver's Ed
Here is a full 1/4 mile pull into 4th gear for Unitronic. 4 back to back runs basically, ambient is 62*F

Run 1, about 10 min before the others:
http://datazap.me/u/wy2sl0/map-6-additive-0?log=0&data=1-6

Run 2:
http://datazap.me/u/wy2sl0/map-6-additive?log=0&data=1-6

Right after, hot lap run 3:
http://datazap.me/u/wy2sl0/map-6-absolute-jb4?log=0&data=1-6

Thanks for the Unitronic data. I wish other data had back to back runs and through the gears. Hopefully they will run another sale soon.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
I had theirs on my Speed3 as well travis :)

That unitronic data is BEAUTIFUL! Updating the posts.

What mods wy2sl0? Hope you had fun at the track! Any good photos?

NM got mod list from JB4 thread. DP, JB4, panel, unitronic.

Last edited:

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
I had theirs on my Speed3 as well travis :)

That unitronic data is BEAUTIFUL! Updating the posts.

What mods wy2sl0? Hope you had fun at the track! Any good photos?

NM got mod list from JB4 thread. DP, JB4, panel, unitronic.

Thanks for keeping this thread up to date.
JB4+Panel+DP is right.
24psi peak to 18psi 6k, 17psi 6.5k absolute.

Clutch is slipping now more and more with the slicks so my times aren't that great. I will have to do the TTRS pretty soon. No pics sorry :-( Next time!

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
Waiting for some stage 2 R unitronic data. (will show a good idea of sizing for the IS38's)