GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New GTI owner wants R

mark5555

Was looking for an R or S3 for a few months

Found a cheap fully loaded GTI PP from main dealer

Turned out to be a bad car - exchanged at dealer for a regular (but newer) GTI as only R they had was another 10K

It's fast enough, but absolutely hating the lack of traction.

Any more power in a FWD is completely wasted IMO I'd just get annoyed with all the wheel spin.

I used to have an R32 and the 4WD was great in all weathers.

You lucky lot.

I'm jealous.

Wheres the crying eyes emoji when you need it

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
.... a test drive would have indicated a lack of traction would it not? Wheel spin? How are you completely defeating the traction control? Even when I push and hold down the ECS button and the car goes into Sport Mode and deactivates the driving assistance options, I get fuel cut off if my tires spin off the line.

mark5555

When I say wheelspin, I mean wheelspin followed by traction control intervention and loss of throttle. Either way an undesired loss of momentum.

As far as waiting, I only had 30 days to exchange car and there was little chance of finding an r at the right price before the ability to return disappeared.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
When I say wheelspin, I mean wheelspin followed by traction control intervention and loss of throttle. Either way an undesired loss of momentum.

As far as waiting, I only had 30 days to exchange car and there was little chance of finding an r at the right price before the ability to return disappeared.

I would have bought a old car or truck to drive temporarily.

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
.... a test drive would have indicated a lack of traction would it not? Wheel spin? How are you completely defeating the traction control? Even when I push and hold down the ECS button and the car goes into Sport Mode and deactivates the driving assistance options, I get fuel cut off if my tires spin off the line.
Use VCDS to turn off the torque limiter. No more fuel cut.

mark5555

I would have bought a old car or truck to drive temporarily.

To get my money back would have meant legal. I've got plenty going on in my life to not need that crap. Life's too short.

I'm just a little bitter as I'm going to have to stick it out with fwd for a while. 4wd rocks. Fwd sucks. Not sure how anyone can honestly dispute that. It's night and day.

ImolaR

Ready to race!
Maybe you should have looked into an Audi S1? Ive heard great things about those, AWD with ~220hp. Not sure about practicality or pricing though.

mark5555

Maybe you should have looked into an Audi S1? Ive heard great things about those, AWD with ~220hp. Not sure about practicality or pricing though.

S1 definitely too small. It's really not practical unless you are single. It was always between a golf 5dr or s3 fastback - but i was limited to vw within the dealer franchise after the return. Wasn't a huge choice tbh.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Sometimes you need to bite the bullet and pony up the money if you want something bad enough. I could have bought a GTI for $500 under "invoice" but instead bought an R when they were selling for MSRP. To me, not needing to worry about traction in the rain was worth it.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Tires, motor mounts, and driver mod.

Driver mod as just learn how to drive properly.:D You lose traction when you use the throttle as an on off switch. Front wheel drive W/BTCC cars don't have that issue and they don't have traction control to correct their driving technique. The GTI can handle over 300bhp without problems especially the PP with the differential but without that it if driven properly will shift.

Ay B

I'm in the same boat, pal. Got the GTI back in October. Not unhappy with it but after I got APR Stage 1 I realized how much power is wasted due to wheel spin, even with quality summer tires. I don't want to have to feather the throttle off the line, I want power now! Anyways, seriously considering trading in and getting a 1 year old Golf R or a 2 year old S3. I estimated that I would still owe about $4,000 after the trade-in and the R would cost roughly $3,000 more than what I paid for the new GTI, S3 only slightly more. Am I crazy? I know I should wait at least another year but..

Thoughts?

(Side question, I was comparing Audi S3 and S5, can't find a straight answer- S3 w/ APR Stage 1 (357hp) or S5 w/ APR Stage 1 (433hp)- which is faster? Wrong forum but I need to know lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Bottom line is your gti is worth significantly less than you paid for it. Like $19,000 no matter how low the miles or what options you have is the most you'll get. So if you owe 5k more than that, your golf R just became a $4X,XXX easy