GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Standard gti or gti pack?

kinch

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi guys. I am new on here and currently own a mk7 gtd. I love the car but not liking the power. I know in a normal gti it should give me 30-35 mpgs but my question please is what mpgs will the performance pack give me? Any thing less anything more let me know please. I don't drive crazy but like more power when I fancy it at times. So in a normal gti I expect 15 less mpg so would the performance pack give me even less? Help on this subject would be most appreciated guys. Cheers.

MTBFL1

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2011 DBP GTI DSG
Performance pack will give you same mileage as the regular GTI. The thing is, chances are you're driving habits will probably be a little more aggressive in the GTI than the GTD, so you probably won't be getting the max mpg's out of the GTI unless you really focus on that.

angelsfanswa

Passed Driver's Ed
If you look at Fuelly.com there's a number of GTIs on there. I've looked and don't see much difference among trims. What's weird is if you look at the golf 1.8t as well, that doesn't do better than the GTI in general.

I'd focus more on the features you want with the trim that has PP. One thing to consider on the PP version is that your wheel downsizing options are limited if that matters to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

angelsfanswa

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the PP with DSG and average btwn 31 and 32 mixed per fill up when I do the math on my phone. My brother has the MT with PP, and I think he does slightly better on FE.

angelsfanswa

Passed Driver's Ed
There's an entire thread on fuel economy on this forum, and many have the PP.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Hi guys. I am new on here and currently own a mk7 gtd. I love the car but not liking the power. I know in a normal gti it should give me 30-35 mpgs but my question please is what mpgs will the performance pack give me? Any thing less anything more let me know please. I don't drive crazy but like more power when I fancy it at times. So in a normal gti I expect 15 less mpg so would the performance pack give me even less? Help on this subject would be most appreciated guys. Cheers.

Keep the GTD and get a tune. Look in the TDI section to see if anyone makes a piggyback. You'll still have your MPG and get extra power.

Patagonian

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had my PP for 2 weeks/300 miles and it's currently showing 41 on this tank but.......that's UK gallons and I don't use it for commuting. In fact I don't think I've even been in any traffic yet.

TheJokker

Go Kart Newbie
It depends upon traffic and circumstances. I have a lengthy commute with some rural driving, interstate driving and city driving. Coming home I have to fight city rush hour. I usually get about 32-34 mpg when I'm mostly driving normal except for passing situations when I let it go a little, and moderately quick take-offs when the lights change.

Because it is a 4-clyinder it has great potential of mpg. Coming home from a pool tournament last night I was kind of sleepy so I was mostly just doing the speed limit on a 20 mile stretch of back-roads with little traffic and few lights. Averaged 41 mpg by the car's computer.

It's hard not to have a bit of fun but if you try and drive for the best mpg it has surprising potential for a car this quick...

kinch

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks for the replys. It would be a manual gearbox for me. Is it regular unleaded the gti needs or the super unleaded? I did consider a remap but I don't think that will help as I'm sick of the rev range in the diesel. Am I right in saying the gti has a timing chain?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The PP gti is the same as a regular gti. The 10hp difference is marketing, both cars make about 220whp stock, they just under rate the regular gti by 10hp to make the PP seem special

PP is bigger brakes and a better differential, that's it

All MK7 1.8/gti/R have a timing chain

Realistic gas mileage in USG is 28-34mpg

Last edited:
Yes, sadly it has a chain. I'm a fan of toothed belts.
The GTI is fine with 95 ROZ, but will run little better with 98 (to our NA cousins,
these are Euro numbers) and have better mileage.
A tune isn't a solution since you'd more than likely need a new clutch soon (1200
pounds or so).
The added power of the Performance GTI isn't huge (though little more torque as
well on the 7.5 GTI PP), but it's got improved traction due to its VAQ differential.

edit
No, that's not all, Jake. Mappings are actually different (both pre-FL and FL GTI)
between GTI and GTI PP. Now with the current FL the difference is 15 HP and 20
Nm of torque on the Euro models. We're not talking about NA spec here.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
I get an average of 48MPG UK with commuting, best I had was 43mpg over 2300miles. Mine is a PP BTW. Oh and look at the DTUK website for your GTD as they have good power gains on it, plus better economy.

kinch

Passed Driver's Ed
I get an average of 48MPG UK with commuting, best I had was 43mpg over 2300miles. Mine is a PP BTW. Oh and look at the DTUK website for your GTD as they have good power gains on it, plus better economy.

48mpg wow. I get between 49-53 in the gtd. I don't want to get a tuning box or remap because £400 for a map and if the clutch goes then that's £1000 or so. Also remaps bump up the insurance and most company's won't insure a mapped car and a gti is actually cheaper for me to insure than my gtd strangely. I have a buyer for mine once I find the right car and it won't cost much to upgrade.