GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

BananaSlug

Ready to race!

depth_charged

Ready to race!
I recently got my car tinted to protect the leather from the hot Texas sun. How much faster will my car be now that there isn't as much light in the car weighing it down?

Your car was faster before the tint. The light made it lighter. [emoji14]

Don't listen to this sun fanboy (tint4lyfe), you should make the same amount of fast as is directly proportionate to the level of tint you got. 20% tint, 20% more fast... unless you are using a Mustang dyno, in which case it will be 10% more fast.

Since I'm in AZ where the state is closer to the sun that anywhere on Earth, I made 1.5x gains when I got tint, I'm pretty sure I'm making 300hp/400tq at the wheels now.

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Don't listen to this sun fanboy (tint4lyfe), you should make the same amount of fast as is directly proportionate to the level of tint you got. 20% tint, 20% more fast... unless you are using a Mustang dyno, in which case it will be 10% more fast.

Since I'm in AZ where the state is closer to the sun that anywhere on Earth, I made 1.5x gains when I got tint, I'm pretty sure I'm making 300hp/400tq at the wheels now.
Lol nice...you should add some stickers and a big rear wing. Probably get you up over 400/450. On a mustang, no less!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Slapshot1

Ready to race!
No. When you use the button to put it into Sport mode you're changing the steering sensitivity, suspension and engine noise.

When you pull down on the shifter to put it into S, this raises the shift points.

You can be driving in Sport mode (button) and still have it in D, and vice versa

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I have it now? I like the aggressive shifting but want it to go into 6th gear on the freeway so I put it in D or move over to manual. But when I go back it's in D but the mode light is still on indicating sport mode.

Ay B

I think I have it now? I like the aggressive shifting but want it to go into 6th gear on the freeway so I put it in D or move over to manual. But when I go back it's in D but the mode light is still on indicating sport mode.

When I'm on the highway I usually have it in Normal for comfort (and D), then when I need to pass someone I just shift down 2 gears with the paddles for a quick acceleration. (Or sometimes just pull down to get it into S)

Remember you can drive in Normal mode with either S or D, or Sport mode with either S or D.

Slapshot1

Ready to race!
When I'm on the highway I usually have it in Normal for comfort (and D), then when I need to pass someone I just shift down 2 gears with the paddles for a quick acceleration. (Or sometimes just pull down to get it into S)

Remember you can drive in Normal mode with either S or D, or Sport mode with either S or D.

That's pretty much what I do. I just wish Sport mode went to 6th gear. Maybe a DSG tune in my future?

Rumrunner

Passed Driver's Ed
For those with sunroofs, are the black panels around the sunroof made of plastic like the B pillar panels or is it painted metal?

I want to know if they scratch easily like the B pillars.

Just took a magnet out and checked. It's not metal so must be plastic, but it also looks more scratch resistant than the B pillars. Not a single scuff on the black roof panel and mine is a 2015!

danjlambert

Passed Driver's Ed
What costs am I looking at to drop my car an inch or so? And can a dealer do this?

It's a great looking car I just feel it still sits a bit too high (not looking to drop it a lot though).

Complete noob to mods like this. Sorry!

danjlambert

Passed Driver's Ed
I have another 3 years on warranty. Would this be a bad idea general, can VW refuse to look at my car under warranty completely because of this?

Sandman GTI

Drag Race Newbie
I have another 3 years on warranty. Would this be a bad idea general, can VW refuse to look at my car under warranty completely because of this?

Anything related to suspension is likely an issue.
If warranty is important then wait.
If not a big issue then go. If you make the change, PM me and I will suggest some things to do that might help in future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

ZUREK

Exhaust tips

I am interested in buying exhaust tips for my 1.4 TSI but I dont have any idea on how I should buy them (specs for diameter, length, etc.). I was wondering if any of you could help me out or know of a guide I can use.

Zurek

mkygod

Ready to race!
Why does the RPM needle in my GTI drop so instantaneously after every shift? It does it faster than every car i've ever driven. Is it a byproduct of having DSG or is that just how the RPM meter operates on these VW cars?

Last edited:

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Why does the RPM needle in my GTI drop so instantaneously after every shift? It does it faster than every car i've ever driven. Is it a byproduct of having DSG or is that just how the RPM meter operates on these VW cars?

That's how fast the DSG shifts. Each time the needle drops, you're in the next gear.