GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GPS SD Card

mmarkley82

I have a 2017 GTI S which does not include the factory navigation. The only way to use navigation is through my Android phone connected through the radio. My question is if I purchase a maps SD card from VW will this give the factory radio the GPS capability? If not what else is needed to retrofit the stock radio with navigation? I know the Autobahn models include the navigation so I'm not sure what exactly is the difference with the radio.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
It very likely would be cheaper trading your GTI in for a new one with the Sat/Nav installed. It's way more involved than just adding a head unit and a SD card. Just be happy with Google Maps. You're not missing out on anything really special from VW.

aadouglass.13

Passed Driver's Ed
If it makes you feel any better, I came from a fully loaded focus with nav and I found myself never using it. I always used google maps on my phone. AFAIK google maps has been and will continue to be the most reliable navigation. I know it's not quite as convenient but I truly think you would be happier in the long run with getting a m
Phone mount and using it as your nav

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You would need at least the Nav head unit and GPS antenna, and the head unit needs to have the Nav SD slot. Cheaper to go aftermarket I think.

The maps VW supplies are over 2 years old anyway. Use your phone. More accurate and cheaper.

mmarkley82

Thanks all. I am very happy using Google Maps and the Android functionality through the car. I was just thinking if this was a cheap easy addition I would add it. I'll just continue to use google maps.