GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

INTERCOOLER UPGRADE

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
I ended up purchasing the APR intercooler today. I was deciding between it and Wagner but did not want to do the modifications required to fit the Wagner.

Let us know if you have issues with the intercooler rocking back and causing fitment issues with the lower portion of the intake box and the hose that comes off of the radiator for the DSG unit. A couple guys have this issue. I can't say it's install error or something else.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ercooler-Stock-Intake-DSG-Busted-Coolant-Hose

Bdurrell

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 Z06
I ended up purchasing the APR intercooler today. I was deciding between it and Wagner but did not want to do the modifications required to fit the Wagner.

Good for you. It fits with perfectly. I've seen an install. I will be purchasing an APR intercooler very soon also (3 weeks).
Did you get the APR replacement hoses as well?

biglilsteve

Ready to race!
Have an appointment next Friday to go from stock to stage 2. APR ECU/TCU, DP, intake, intercooler with full boost piping. Also getting plugs and a dsg check to ensure I have proper fluid level.

I'll report as well with any perceived differences in low-end turbo lag.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

AtlantaDad

Drag Race Newbie
Have an appointment next Friday to go from stock to stage 2. APR ECU/TCU, DP, intake, intercooler with full boost piping. Also getting plugs and a dsg check to ensure I have proper fluid level.

Baller alert!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

biglilsteve

Ready to race!
You should notice better throttle response with that setup. I did when I did my charge pipes and IC
Yeah I'm truly only expecting positive outcomes. Naturally I am going to be paranoid though. Just want the car to still drive smooth as a daily.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
It doesn't give you MORE power per se, it allows your IAT's to stay low so you can keep consistent power for multiple high mph pulls, track racing, or drag racing. You should see lower pressure drop across the core as well.

I'll get back to you once my clutch is put in. I can't utilize the intercooler's performance when I can't go anywhere lol.

What clutch are you going with?

Golf R1

Ready to race!
You should notice better throttle response with that setup. I did when I did my charge pipes and IC
X2

Yeah I'm truly only expecting positive outcomes. Naturally I am going to be paranoid though. Just want the car to still drive smooth as a daily.
Nothing to worry about, you'll love the improved responsiveness. It's a better daily stage II vs stock imo. Relax and enjoy!

jp03191

Passed Driver's Ed
OP the best way to think about an intercooler isn't from a power gain perspective its from a power maintenance perspective. An upgraded IC will allow you to maintain power levels longer (especially in hot climates). For example, in NC during the summer my MK6 GTI at stage 2 would heat soak like a MFer almost to the point that at times it felt like I wasn't tuned. After adding an upgraded IC I felt the power levels stayed more on par with what I experienced in cooler weather from the stage 2 tune. Hope this helps.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
What clutch are you going with?

I have a Southbend Stage 3 Daily with Fluidampr ready to roll. I'm going to have ED put them in when I head to down to So-Cal this summer.

hal

Ready to race!

I wouldn't worry about turbo lags with this setup. My concern is on stock but it seems from the responses the lag shouldn't be as bad as I think.

tdi_spec

I just had the same exact things minus the boost piping done to my car yesterday. There is absolutely less low-end turbo lag in my opinion. Down below 3,000 rpm this feels about as close to a V8 as you can probably get out of a 2 liter engine.

biglilsteve

Ready to race!
I just had the same exact things minus the boost piping done to my car yesterday. There is absolutely less low-end turbo lag in my opinion. Down below 3,000 rpm this feels about as close to a V8 as you can probably get out of a 2 liter engine.
Below 3k definitely needs help so I am looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing (and making me even more impatient)!