GOLFMKV

2018 Aussie R Specs

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
A 9.2 inch display!

Yawn. Long one.

Who cares? That model also has no knobs, 100% touch only. No thanks. I'd go back to MIB2 over that thing. Thankfully the US only gets the 8-inch screen and still has volume/tuning knobs.

Some stuff on that equipment list is interesting, some is suspect...

Electrically adjustable driver's seat with memory? If so, that's a very nice addition.. color me skeptical

Driver Fatigue Detection System.. interesting, what exactly is this?

Front fog lights - uh, no. Which puts other stuff on the list in question. Nice to see that VW Australia is as lame at this stuff as VWoA is. :mad:

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion

My assumption is that a camera monitors your face/eyes to detect whether or not you're dozing off.

mookieblaylock

Ready to race!

That will mute the stereo and alert you if it senses you are driving erratically and lane drifting ie falling asleep. I have used this in a merc and i laughed at first but it does work, then open the window blast with cold air and/or hit starbucks

hal

Ready to race!
My assumption is that a camera monitors your face/eyes to detect whether or not you're dozing off.

Doesn't the current driver assist system monitor driving behavior? In mine I recall it triggered randomly at long drives (before I replaced the headunit with an Android one that no longer displays those alerts).

Aussie R

Ready to race!
The Fed- Nice find. I have seen it last couple of days and has put new R to top of list of options to swap wife's 2015 S3 sedan to.

Now coming with all those features, only option the S3 has over it is park assist (self parking) IMO useless anyway. I Looked at RRP prices last night at s3 sedan is $12K more and Sports back $10k more which I think is insane for a badge.

I'm told they won't be arriving until around October/Nov. I'm test driving the RS3 on Friday and test drove m140i couple days ago-Not impressed at all. Great engine but everything else well behind our S3-looks, interior, features, handling, stiff ride and less room.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The Fed- Nice find. I have seen it last couple of days and has put new R to top of list of options to swap wife's 2015 S3 sedan to.

Now coming with all those features, only option the S3 has over it is park assist (self parking) IMO useless anyway. I Looked at RRP prices last night at s3 sedan is $12K more and Sports back $10k more which I think is insane for a badge.

I'm told they won't be arriving until around October/Nov. I'm test driving the RS3 on Friday and test drove m140i couple days ago-Not impressed at all. Great engine but everything else well behind our S3-looks, interior, features, handling, stiff ride and less room.

I think we in the U.S. can only dream about 400 standard horsepower.

Aussie R

Ready to race!
Fed, I'm looking at the 360hp RS3 tomorrow due to deals on them. Possibly getting optioned car for around $70k which was 100k at first release. The new 400hp version not out yet, no doubt great but don't think it's worth the $30k premium. If power isn't enough stage 1 tune alone takes it to over 380whp.

I'm wanting RS3 but wife not fan of Audi hatch, I believe no electric seats so up against it.

�� Dealer just called and they sold last RS3 they had. So have to wait to test drive the new release 400hp version and comes in sedan. Trouble is will be over $100k compared to $55k for golf R!

Last edited:

Aussie R

Ready to race!
I test drove the Facelift S3 today and can tell you the 7SP transmission is a massive improvement. It responds in normal D and Sports Dynamic like the 6sp after a DSG tune.

There is slightly more exhaust note, the virtual cockpit nice but the 7 Sp transmission is the winner. There would be no more need for DSG tunes IMO. I hated the stock modes in the 6sp but no such issues in the 7sp.

I'll wait to test drive the 7.5 R in October/November before deciding but with all the other improvements, features in the 7.5 R and the new transmission it's a definite winning combo.

Aussie R

Ready to race!
Little update from us. We just signed to get new S3 sedan as Audi gave WAY more discount than VW. Full RRP between cars was $14K but price lease company got Audi for only costing us $2500 more than the Golf R.

IMO- $33 a F/T for Audi sedan is well worth it over VW golf R. Will still have our VAG garage of my Stage 2 MK7R and FL S3 sedan. Overall very happy.