GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Clubsport S Spindles Installed

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
This weekend I installed the Clubsport S swivels and HPA SHS coilovers. Right up front, I won't know the camber until I have an alignment performed. I should have that done this week and will report back.

I ordered the swivels and Audi wheel bearings from cars245.com. The parts were ordered February 27 and arrived from an autobody shop in Lativa on March 15. Interestingly, cars245 never showed order status beyond "preparing". The origin of the parts wasn't particularly confidence inspiring; I was concerned that might be counterfeit. However, they were packed and labeled (even on the casting of the swivels) with VW markings. Also, I can't imagine there is much of a market for counterfeit Clubsport S parts. At least I hope not. The swivels appears to be identical to the GTI swivels and seemed to be of high quality.

I don't know why the Clubsport S uses Audi wheel bearings. The Audi parts looked identical to the VW part.

Installation was straight forward. An impact wrench is most helpful in removing the front axle bolt. I didn't need a spreader to fit the coilover shock body into the new swivel. It slid into place very nicely. I had the ECS Tuning nut and bolt replacement kit, which provided all the necessary replacements. I also installed new ball joints (because I thought that would be easier than transferring the old ball joints to the new swivel), but the new ball joint didn't come with a new nut, so I had to reuse the old nut.

Speaking of ball joints, I also ordered Audi ball joints with the aim of having a camber-adjustable ball joint for fine tuning the camber. Unfortunately, the Audi ball joint does not fit the VW control arm. So those are going back.

Just eyeballing the finished product, the change in camber provided by the Clubsport S swivels is not large. Again, once I have the car aligned, I'll have some hard numbers for comparison.

One thing about the HPA SHS coilovers that is somewhat concerning is the the rear springs are compressed such that the larger diameter coils (sheaved in plastic tubing) are compressed so they are touching. That means that the suspension motion is absorbed by the smaller diameter sections of the spring. This doesn't seem right to me. The front springs don't exhibit this phenomenon.

I set the coilovers as high as the instructions allowed. The drop is equivalent to what I had with VWR springs.

Lastly, I completed this project by myself over a two day period. Breaking the task into two bits made it a little easier for someone who doesn't have a lift (get up, get down, crawl around) and doesn't do this for a living, and is into the upper senior discount range!

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Will do with pics.
BTW, I see I posted in the wrong forum. How do I move it?

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Hi.
Thanks for testing this. Can you confirm increased negative camber? I need this but. It sure if I should go this route.
I have BBK on front and have read problems with lower outer ball joints rubbing.
Hope to hear back from this thread.
Happy Easter ?

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Hi.

Thanks for testing this. Can you confirm increased negative camber? I need this but. It sure if I should go this route.

I have BBK on front and have read problems with lower outer ball joints rubbing.

Hope to hear back from this thread.

Happy Easter [emoji38]

Not yet. I had an issue with the coilovers I wanted to install, so no alignment yet. Maybe in a couple of weeks. Check out the Suspension forum for the gory details.

Just looking, the camber isn't as negative as the rear.

A3SBQ

Ready to race!
Bump for News

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
After I reinstalled the stock struts, I have not had any issues. I did a track weekend without having done an alignment, but everything seemed to work ok. I can't say that I noticed a big difference in handling, but handling does seem to be trending toward a more neutral behavior. The outer edge of the front tires didn't seem to get as much abuse. However, it had been six months since my previous track day and 10 months since I had been on the same track. Also, it was cold (40-50 deg F), so another factor to make definitive comparisons difficult.

I have an infrared pyrometer to measure tire temps. If I can finish a session and quickly measure the temps (hard to do because the instructor always wants to immediately review the session), that should shed some quantitative light on the subject.

I have just this week received my Bilstein PSS10 coilovers and will be installing them this weekend. I chose these struts because they appear to honor the interface locations of the stock strut, so I don't expect to have any issues. Once installed, I will get an alignment and will report on the camber readings. In early June, I have a track weekend, so I'll be able to report on my experience with the complete setup.

AR11

Ready to race!
I have an infrared pyrometer to measure tire temps. If I can finish a session and quickly measure the temps (hard to do because the instructor always wants to immediately review the session), that should shed some quantitative light on the subject.

One thing to mention (which you may already be aware of) is that the readings go to shit if you drive a cool down lap under the checkered flag. If you really want to get a good reading you should pit early so that you can come in hot before the temperature gradient dissipates.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks. Hadn't thought of that, but I'll keep it in mind.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie