GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Enable and Configure Advanced Bi-Xenon Lighting, MK7 Golf R

ICmaker

Passed Driver's Ed
ICmaker or other people,

Where do you find $1.50 OBD App "High Beam Memory"?
I purchased the OBD 11 just for that HBA persistence function, but there's no option for the HBA memory under "App".
It looks like OBD 11 automatically finds my VIN and only provides functions that are available to my 2017 R.
Any suggestion/solution?

In the apps list for my 2017 (dsg, dap, dcc), it's the third one. Honest.

ICmaker

nate704

Go Kart Champion

ICmaker

It looks like VW changed something for my car (January 16, 2017 built) because OBD11 was locked in with my VIN, so that there's no option for the HBA persistent feature anywhere and I was not able to change "My Car".
If I am not connected I can select other golf model year, such as 2012-2017 option which has the HBA persistent function, but the execute icon is grayed out since it's not connected.

skr9

Hello everyone - excited to be joining the community - picking up my 2017 R tomorrow and have been browsing this forum to learn more. This thread caught my eye and is something I would certainly like to enable on my vehicle. While I have the appetite to take on a challenge - I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to car electronics. So this might be a dumb question: I have a Carista (OBD2 type adapter) that I had purchased for a prior vehicle, and seems similar to OBD11 - but I'm getting the impression is not as sophisticated. Carista supports most of the entire VW family, so looks I can do some mods, but am I correct in guessing I would not be able to do the more sophisticated mod ICmaker has posted? (and thank you to ICmaker for your generosity and expert advice!)

ICmaker

Passed Driver's Ed
No, but....

Hello everyone - excited to be joining the community - picking up my 2017 R tomorrow and have been browsing this forum to learn more. This thread caught my eye and is something I would certainly like to enable on my vehicle. While I have the appetite to take on a challenge - I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to car electronics. So this might be a dumb question: I have a Carista (OBD2 type adapter) that I had purchased for a prior vehicle, and seems similar to OBD11 - but I'm getting the impression is not as sophisticated. Carista supports most of the entire VW family, so looks I can do some mods, but am I correct in guessing I would not be able to do the more sophisticated mod ICmaker has posted? (and thank you to ICmaker for your generosity and expert advice!)

As far as I can see from the web site, Carista doesn't support the kind of edits you're asking about. It does look like ten bucks will get you all the available edits, since you already own the device.

And you're welcome; kind words are always appreciated.

happy trails....

ICmaker

nate704

Go Kart Champion
It looks like VW did major or minor coding structure change for the 2017 built cars (not MY17), so that the previous coding tips and other hex edits are not 100% accurate or not available at all.
So, anyone with 2017 built (not MY17) car, you might want to wait before you buy OBDeleven and android devices (if you are an apple person).
I just returned my OBD eleven for the same issue, and also my VCDS cable is faster, easier to use and has better support

skr9

It looks like VW did major or minor coding structure change for the 2017 built cars (not MY17), so that the previous coding tips and other hex edits are not 100% accurate or not available at all.
So, anyone with 2017 built (not MY17) car, you might want to wait before you buy OBDeleven and android devices (if you are an apple person).
I just returned my OBD eleven for the same issue, and also my VCDS cable is faster, easier to use and has better support

Do you (or perhaps ICMaker) have any further info on this? What date specifically affects being able to make these changes?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Is the module version number for your cars the same as 2016's? I was able to activate it on my 2016. I thought all 2017's had HBA already activated. Seems strange if the programming was different for lighting features. There are threads where members complain about not being able to access certain functions with VCDS, but when I contacted RT they said US cars should not be affected.

Have you tried it with VCDS? Keep the mind you have a VW. I've had strange things happen, like needing to code in certain sequences and only being allowed to do a limited number of changes per session. I suspect electronic interference. My MK5 acted strangely around high power lines or ham radios.

skr9

ICmaker

Hello ICMaker - I too am at road-block it would seem. When I launch APPS, there is no app for High Beam Memory; there are a bunch of others, but this does not appear in the list. So it would seem, I have to push the stalk every time at start-up?

That all aside, I am not sure if I've even been able to enable the coding you have posted. I ran through the first 2 sections smoothly without a hitch. But then when I went to execute the final section "Run & Acknowledge Setup", I execute Basic Headlamp Setting, but then when I go to "Acknowledge basic setting", I get an error pop up on the multi-function display for the ALS, and I note in the history log the following:

Basic settings
Control unit: 55 Headlight Regulation
Name: Acknowledge basic setting
Basic setting ended
not active

Does this indicate a problem? Otherwise, all the other settings for 'Select hardware...' and 'Remove NAR Restrictions' are still there - it was just the problem with this final step.

And just to say it again - thank you for time and generosity!

nate704

Go Kart Champion
It looks like recent 2017 built vehicles are not fully compatible with OBD11, and I'm not sure if they are aware of the situation.

zvwggtip09

Passed Driver's Ed
After rereading and clearing errors in VCDS several times, I was finally able to make the High-Beam Assist to work again. The additional settings here actually do nothing for me as I had the HBA already work for my car.

Enabling everything in the 09 coding section and tested. Only thing that made a difference was the City Light sensing, which I actually turned off before because is annoying for the HBA to turn off every time I pass by a light pole.

So far, no difference at all from when I've already enabled the HBA from about 6-8 months ago.

I have a 16 R in case someone asks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skr9

What happened to our friend ICmaker? Anyone else have same issues as I have with the OBDeleven coding and completing that last step? Any no 'High Beam Memory' app seems to be avail for my specific VIN either.

nate704

Go Kart Champion
What happened to our friend ICmaker? Anyone else have same issues as I have with the OBDeleven coding and completing that last step? Any no 'High Beam Memory' app seems to be avail for my specific VIN either.

Either VW deleted the HBA persistent option for the 17 built cars or OBD11 is not updating their software.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Either VW deleted the HBA persistent option for the 17 built cars or OBD11 is not updating their software.

I'm afraid that's what happens when you buy OBD11. I'm very surprised when members who purport to have had highly paid technical careers don't seem to be able to afford $250 for state-of-the-art VCDS software. Makes me think it's all bravado.

skr9

I'm afraid that's what happens when you buy OBD11. I'm very surprised when members who purport to have had highly paid technical careers don't seem to be able to afford $250 for state-of-the-art VCDS software. Makes me think it's all bravado.

Lets not go down that road again please, and lets try to be productive.

I've posted something on the OBDeleven boards, so hoping someone responds.
Are other 2017 MK7 R owners having similar issues, or know how to code the "High Beam Assist Memory"? As noted earlier, the app was not available based upon my VIN apparently.