GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI silencer removal

yodi94

Hi,

I'm from the UK and have a leased GTI DSG and was looking to remove the silencer to get louder DSG farts, but because its leased, I would have to return the car back in the original condition it was in.

So my question is, is it possible to reverse the silencer delete? what would be my best option? please don't comment saying "just leave it as it is" or anything along those lines!

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
The exhaust is one piece and would need cutting so you will likely be charged for a new exhaust when they notice you have patched it up on the return.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
You can weld it back together or get a clamp. I'm sure it will be fine for return. I've never had a person go underneath the car to check anything out with a lease return.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Yes, just have the silencer welded back in at lease end. No one will ever question it.

yodi94

Thanks all

Anyone know how much it would generally cost to get it done at a reputable garage in UK? Also, is there a significant exhaust noise increase with revs on idle and DSG farts? thats why I really want it.

yodi94

Also, what about when my car goes in for a check up or a service, they would raise the car and probably notice the modification. Would it void warranty?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
If you look at the second link I posted the exhaust is marked to be cut for muffler swap/replacement and the OEM clamp they use at the DP connection fits perfectly there.

Shop rate would probably be $150-300 I'd imagine

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Also, what about when my car goes in for a check up or a service, they would raise the car and probably notice the modification. Would it void warranty?

No effect on the warranty unless you had poor fitment and tried to get them to fix a rattle or something. The warranty as a whole can't be voided for cat back mods

yodi94

ive been told by a friend that his friend got muffler/silencer (is it the same thing?) removed for £70 which is around $90. Also said made a significant difference in the sound coming from car. Might take the route he did.

MattB1

Ready to race!
ive been told by a friend that his friend got muffler/silencer (is it the same thing?) removed for £70 which is around $90. Also said made a significant difference in the sound coming from car. Might take the route he did.

For that price, I would think they had the front silencer/resonator deleted. This would entail cutting out the resonator and replacing it with a section of straight pipe. It will make a difference to the sound, but not as much as a rear silencer/muffler delete.

yodi94

For that price, I would think they had the front silencer/resonator deleted. This would entail cutting out the resonator and replacing it with a section of straight pipe. It will make a difference to the sound, but not as much as a rear silencer/muffler delete.

I think he mentioned that they remove something from the middle area of the underside of the car so I think you are right about that.