GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 Tune Comparisons

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
I wouldn't call it a plus. Just stack a JB4 on what you have. It will be cheaper and be more adjustable for your needs. Probably end up making more power as well. Just look at what the gti guys are doing with the IS38

Twin, your absolutely correct. But as melted mentioned, competition is a plus. Never know what turbos will be offered. Is20, is38, etc. I know for my car, since it's an automatic, torque is a major consideration. So no matter which route I take, I need to see some data on it. Don't want to be doing a manual swap next.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Twin, your absolutely correct. But as melted mentioned, competition is a plus. Never know what turbos will be offered. Is20, is38, etc. I know for my car, since it's an automatic, torque is a major consideration. So no matter which route I take, I need to see some data on it. Don't want to be doing a manual swap next.

I doubt you'll be exceeding the torque limit of the automatic before you will need to upgrade the fuel system. The other thing is that with a JB4 stack, you can dial in the boost where you want it. If you don't want to push it below 4,000 anymore than the stage 1 does now, you don't have to. You can just do additive and then take advantage of the upper rpm range of the larger turbo. Keep in mind that every flash tune is just a canned tune that has to work on all cars in all conditions. The best hope is that the Cobb becomes available for the 1.8. Then you can do a custom flash tune for your needs. Until that comes out, the JB4 stack is the most customizable for your car. I think Melted can speak some about this as he had his car stacked on the stage 1 for a bit before the IS20 and now with it. I don't think he can deny how nice it is to adjust for his exact needs

espo92

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2016 Audi A3 2.0T
I doubt you'll be exceeding the torque limit of the automatic before you will need to upgrade the fuel system. The other thing is that with a JB4 stack, you can dial in the boost where you want it. If you don't want to push it below 4,000 anymore than the stage 1 does now, you don't have to. You can just do additive and then take advantage of the upper rpm range of the larger turbo. Keep in mind that every flash tune is just a canned tune that has to work on all cars in all conditions. The best hope is that the Cobb becomes available for the 1.8. Then you can do a custom flash tune for your needs. Until that comes out, the JB4 stack is the most customizable for your car. I think Melted can speak some about this as he had his car stacked on the stage 1 for a bit before the IS20 and now with it. I don't think he can deny how nice it is to adjust for his exact needs

For sure. Right now its just wondering whats coming out, and what order to do things in. Thinking down pipe is going to be first, then going from there. But we shall see. Good to know torque shouldn't be a problem.

jon_snow

Mine on G7 Alltrack. Only is20 and custom software.

Last edited:

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Mine on G7 Alltrack. Only is20 and custom software.

Thanks for sharing. Looks real close to Uni's advertised crank HP numbers. 416 nm = 306 ft/lbs (crank) for our minds over here.

Slick99

Ready to race!

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
George recently told me ~ 265 wheel hp should be very doable with just JB4 and IS20. No stacking.

That would put the JB4 with IS20 right inline with the Unitronic tune.

There is some firmware update comming that should add a little more headroom too. If I interpreted George correctly

My dyno run was 240 wheel with only 17psi peak and a wimpy taper at the top. Im 3-4 psi over that now all through the range with solid looking timing, IAT and AFR. My trims are on the edge, but still okay. I haven't had another dyno run, but if im not at least 260 wheel hp, I would be very surprised.

Even if Im only getting 5hp/psi out of the extra I added since my dyno run, that would still be near 260.

Unitronic claims of just over 300 crank look very good. -10% drivetrain loss =270, 15% loss = 255.

JB4 is right there and looks like a great option. As more dyno runs come in we will see. I plan on another one in a couple months.

This is great. I would really like to stay with only the JB4 if possible. I love the flexibility and I really don't want to spend $700-1000 on a flash tune. However, if I could get Eurodyne Maestro or Cobb ATR and do full tuning myself, then I would be very temped!

At the end of the day, I would be happy with 250-260 WHP with the JB4/IS20/DP. That would be ~45-55 WHP more than I dyno'ed with the JB1/IS12/Stock DP. The IS20 should allow it to run cooler and more reliable. Bigger turbo = less heat = less detonation. There should be less back-pressure on the engine with the IS20/DP to allow it to evacuate the exhaust and spin the turbo more efficiently. I am hoping to stay in the 18-20 PSI range and keep well within the IS20 peak efficiency range.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
This is great. I would really like to stay with only the JB4 if possible. I love the flexibility and I really don't want to spend $700-1000 on a flash tune. However, if I could get Eurodyne Maestro or Cobb ATR and do full tuning myself, then I would be very temped!

At the end of the day, I would be happy with 250-260 WHP with the JB4/IS20/DP. That would be ~45-55 WHP more than I dyno'ed with the JB1/IS12/Stock DP. The IS20 should allow it to run cooler and more reliable. Bigger turbo = less heat = less detonation. There should be less back-pressure on the engine with the IS20/DP to allow it to evacuate the exhaust and spin the turbo more efficiently. I am hoping to stay in the 18-20 PSI range and keep well within the IS20 peak efficiency range.

With my car at 240 it felt surprisingly good. A New world compared to stock. The large extension of top end and full power to red line can't be underestimated. Now, being boosted over that, it feels pretty bombastic sometimes. It's at a reasonable level of performance by modern standards. Unless your power meter is tainted from driving very high HP stuff.

At 280 wheel we are very close to mustang GT power/weight. That's pretty cool. All of this gets overshadowed by the crazy numbers of the GTI and IS38 tunes. But it's still very respectable for low$$.

jon_snow

Thanks for sharing. Looks real close to Uni's advertised crank HP numbers. 416 nm = 306 ft/lbs (crank) for our minds over here.

This is not an unitronic from Canada software. This is a custom map created by polish tuner Unitronic - name is confusing.

DP, IC and should be much better. Exhaust is the biggest problem. It is only 2,25 diameter in stock.

Last edited:

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
This not an unitronic from Canada software. This is custom map created by polish tuner Unitronic - name is confusing.

DP, IC and should be much better. Exhaust is the biggest problem. It is only 2,25 diameter in stock.

Hahaha, thanks for the clarification. Would have never guessed! I am also wondering when the 2.25" diameter exhaust will become limiting. Let us now it goes if you install the DP/IC. Do you plan to upgrade those soon?

With my car at 240 it felt surprisingly good. A New world compared to stock. The large extension of top end and full power to red line can't be underestimated. Now, being boosted over that, it feels pretty bombastic sometimes. It's at a reasonable level of performance by modern standards. Unless your power meter is tainted from driving very high HP stuff.

At 280 wheel we are very close to mustang GT power/weight. That's pretty cool. All of this gets overshadowed by the crazy numbers of the GTI and IS38 tunes. But it's still very respectable for low$$.

Excited, can't wait!

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
good lord...300+whp from a 1.8TSI? I need to find me a gently used IS20

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Update
+ downpipe and new ecu + tcu software

Awesome, thanks for sharing! What peak boost are you running now with the new tune? Also, what fuel/octane were you running for the dyno?

Since we were lasting posting in this thread I have also since installed the IS20 + downpipe. Totally different car now! I am using the JB4 and have slowly worked my peak boost up to 21 PSI tapering to 17 PSI. I am also running 93 octane + ~2.5 gallons of E85. I am probably going to stay here for awhile. I should go back and dyno at some point to see what I have gained since I was only JB1 (+5.6).