GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What's this exhaust valve for ?

Sootchucker

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI (2018)
Hi all. Was looking online at the aftermarket exhaust options for the MK7 GTD, in my search for "beefier" twin exhaust tips, and found myself on the "Supersprint" website. There they had a number of images under the car for a GTD fitted with the Sport and Sound pack (like mine). When looking I noticed on the front pipe (post DPF filter), there appears to be an electric valve.

On going some further searches it seems it's nothing to do with the S&S pack as the valve is even fitted it seems to the humble 1.6 TDI models. Anyone know what this valve is for please (just out of curiosity) ?

http://www.supersprint.com/ww-en/sport-exhaust-supersprint-for-vw-golf-vii-gtd-20-184-hp-2012.aspx

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
It is a valve to control gas flow controlled by the EGR to control the gas recirculation.

Munstertel

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
R-Line Edition
BUMP :)

Good Morning Folks,
I'm getting an intermittent Check Eng Light and fault codes,

P048E

Had a look at the Valve and it looks in poor order, and i'm now reading they're prone to ceasing. I would just replace it, but does anyone know how to remove it? I was expecting to see it held in the exhaust line with Band Clamps, but it looks to me to be welded in...? Any advice appreciated. First time tackling Exhaust issues.

Cheers,

Terry

Attachments

• IMG_0017.jpeg
    IMG_0017.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0019.jpeg
    IMG_0019.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 34

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
I’m not familiar with this part but what are the fasteners doing. Hard to tell from the photo.
It does look like that section of the tubing had been possibly replaced at some time.
IMG_3796.jpeg

Jachas

Ready to race!
Car(s)
A3 8V
BUMP :)

Good Morning Folks,
I'm getting an intermittent Check Eng Light and fault codes,

P048E

Had a look at the Valve and it looks in poor order, and i'm now reading they're prone to ceasing. I would just replace it, but does anyone know how to remove it? I was expecting to see it held in the exhaust line with Band Clamps, but it looks to me to be welded in...? Any advice appreciated. First time tackling Exhaust issues.

Cheers,

Terry

"VW way" of changing this valve is by changing entire piping, from DPF/SCR module to mid silencer/pipe

most probably 5Q0253101AS for FWD or 5Q0253101BA for AWD (I not 100% sure if is only one type for FWD and one AWD)

You can try to remove the engine for the valve and check if valve move freely, if is, you can try to change only the engine for the valve (Repair kit 5Q0253692B), if valve is good, it should help

Munstertel

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
R-Line Edition
I’m not familiar with this part but what are the fasteners doing. Hard to tell from the photo.
It does look like that section of the tubing had been possibly replaced at some time.
View attachment 297850
Morning Treadup, thanks for the input. I don’t think that part of the exhaust has ever been replaced, I’ve owned the car since Birth. I think those fasteners separate the actuating motor from the operating Valve inside the exhaust line…?

Munstertel

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
R-Line Edition
"VW way" of changing this valve is by changing entire piping, from DPF/SCR module to mid silencer/pipe

most probably 5Q0253101AS for FWD or 5Q0253101BA for AWD (I not 100% sure if is only one type for FWD and one AWD)

You can try to remove the engine for the valve and check if valve move freely, if is, you can try to change only the engine for the valve (Repair kit 5Q0253692B), if valve is good, it should help
Hi Jachas! Thanks for the info, that’s great. This job would take minutes if I could get the car in the air… but it’s getting dragged out. First now is to build a wooden ramp, to be able to get it up in the air quickly and safely each time without the need for additional jacks/axle stands. I live in an apartment, so it’s not ideal jacking the car in the car park and time consuming.

Will report back how I go. For info, I have sprayed the valve with penetrating oil last week and so far the intermittent fault has not returned.

if anyone is reading this who is in the know, VCDS, Is just a cable and software?? then I can do advanced trouble shooting and output tests? And how much should I expect to pay for it…?

Cheers,

Terry

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Hi Jachas! Thanks for the info, that’s great. This job would take minutes if I could get the car in the air… but it’s getting dragged out. First now is to build a wooden ramp, to be able to get it up in the air quickly and safely each time without the need for additional jacks/axle stands. I live in an apartment, so it’s not ideal jacking the car in the car park and time consuming.

Will report back how I go. For info, I have sprayed the valve with penetrating oil last week and so far the intermittent fault has not returned.

if anyone is reading this who is in the know, VCDS, Is just a cable and software?? then I can do advanced trouble shooting and output tests? And how much should I expect to pay for it…?

Cheers,

Terry

In the U.S. the cable costs $199 if you only want to be able to use it on 3 cars and $299 for an unlimited number of cars, but we can buy directly from the manufacturer. You will need to contact a dealer in the UK to see how much they want for each of the two available cables. Here is the reference for the cables so you can decide what features you want (the software is free to download from the manufacturer's website for life), but expect to pay more than the US prices:
https://www.ross-tech.com/index.php

Authorized Dealers in U.K.

Gendan Limit
Unit 8 Llys Caer Felin
Felinfach
Swansea SA5 4HH
+44 0 1792 588002

ilexa Onboard Diagnostics
Truro
Cornwall
TR2 4YF
UK