GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Volkswagen Connect

vwman

Go Kart Champion
Yes as its free and a new toy.

Dealers have been getting large boxes of the Datatags to give customers.

The trip info can be useful for logging business miles as well as well as private miles and the timings can be interesting together with the maximum MPH reached over the journey.

vwman

Go Kart Champion
Just go into the dealers parts dept and ask for a free Dataplug for VW Connect..

They should be aware of it & have plenty of supplies.

Jargy

Picked one up yesterday and got it set up. Will be having a play at the weekend to work out how useful it really could be. The tracking option looks interesting - shows where parked last and when, but would this also be useful as a GPS if car stolen?

vwman

Go Kart Champion
I cannot see you being able to locate a stolen cars new position.

As I see it the parking position is logged when you turn off the ignition and the connection from the Datatag to your App is disconnected.

You would need to be within Bluetooth range of the car with its ignition on to re-establish the Datatag to the App link to see the new location.

Cestrian

Passed Driver's Ed
Just picked one up from my local dealer. Very easy to fit in the port underneath the steering wheel and connects to the app via bluetooth. Still to make use of it though.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Got one yesterday from my local dealer despite hating anything that farms data from me. It is free after all and easy to remove from the obd2 port. I will see how it goes before I remove it.

XoneDB4

Ready to race!
Just picked one up, thanks for the tip. Don't suppose anyone knows if this thing is or could be compatible with any of the other OBD apps out there? Assume it's locked to VW and the VW app is pretty lean right now.

Last edited:

Jon2

Ready to race!
Just read the posts on this thread and thought it would be for a car fitted with MIB2 or later. Just looked on the VW Uk website and it says "Volkswagen Connect is available for many of our models built since 2008". So it should fit my 2013 Golf and actually work, then?

Edit:-Just clicked on the link on the original post and put my car details into the search tool. It came back with "Your vehicle is compatible with limited mirroring of warning lights".

What the Hell does that mean in English?

Last edited: