GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TDI 150 Sound

eazizisaid

Hello,

I took delivery of my new Golf yesterday. It's the 150 tdi 2016 Golf MK7 SE with Manual transmission. It's my first car !

Whenever I press the gas pedal though, aside from the engine noise, I hear a subdued yet noticeable "hum" that disappears when I lift off my foot. It's binded with the gas pedal i'd say !

Is it normal ?

Thanks

anjoVW

Ready to race!
Could be the turbo/intake maybe? I'd be more delighted with that sound than afraid haha.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
What gear? If you're in anything other than first at 1100 rpm you just need to downshift. I drive the same car and if you follow the gear change suggestions it's pretty easy to bog the engine down. That'll give you a hum that will get quieter as the RPMs climb.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Actually it happens even when on neutral. It might be the turbo as anjoVW suggested.

If it happens even in neutral I don't think it's the turbo. OP would it be possible to record the sound? That will give us a better chance to help you.

eazizisaid

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Sure !

Here's the recording, albeit it's going to be a little difficult to discerne :

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3mNx4TUl7cLQlZKNVdrY09XcGs/view?usp=sharing

It's starts at 4:50 sec and it has a 158 hz approx. sound frequency. You can enter the frenquency on this site to hear how it sounds like : http://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

After hearing for a while now (i am at 400 miles) it sounds more like an electronic device that starts around 1100 rpm.

Thank you

Reminds me to my 1996 passat tdi 110cv I would say it's normal, it may fade away with time. You said in neutral sounds the same or only while accelerating?
Btw do you have a soundaktor in your car? if you do it would be interesting to set it up to a 75%/50%/25% and 0% and hear the engine again.
For peace of mind open the hood and check the air filter if it's not seating properly it may be causing that sound?
Sound the same with ac on and off? just wondering what the cause may be...

eazizisaid

Interesting, never heard about the soundaktor before but I don't think that an SE TDI model will be fitted with one.

Here's how it is produced :

The car if idling with no acceleration, I don't hear it. If I go past 1100 rpm, I start hearing it & it doesn't matter if the AC is on or off.

I'll try to locate where it's coming from when i'll open the hood.

I'll keep you posted !

Thanks a lot !

eazizisaid

Alright, well I just popped up the hood while the engine is running, I had my brother to get it to 1100 rpm and I couldn't hear a thing ! Probably just muted by the engine noise or it's coming from the cabin.