GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

golf alltrack tuning newbie thread

mattkime

Passed Driver's Ed
>>Probably 220+ at the wheels.

Damn, I'm in!

How much would a downpipe add? How much do they typically run?

sponger85

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
17 Alltrack & 20 GTI
The adding of extra power with upgrades is very limited with the JB1. It's pretty basic and is very limited compared to the JB4. Maybe you can get +5.6 at most. I have gone as much as +13.5 with the JB4. It's fine for a mild bump, but if you get the need for more power, you are going to want to upgrade to the JB4

Definitely understood the differences when I decided on the JB1. Part of my upgrades in the future (a couple years from now) would include the JB1 to JB4 upgrade kit. I am sure I will ask for advise on those upgrades from the GolfMK7 community at that time. The information that is provided from all experienced Golf owners on the forum is very helpful and appreciated!

Keep me updated!

I got the JB1 installed last night and have driven about 75 miles since. Definitely a nice needed boost and I am happy with it for my daily driving. It was just what I wanted, for the time being, to hold me over for more upgrades in the future. The install was easy for the first two plugs (B and C) but plug D was slightly difficult to reach (as it has been noted in other forums). I was able to reach plug D without taking the engine under tray, which is the Alltrack is a skid plate and requires bolts to also be removed. It looks identical to the skid plate golfdave installed on this thread: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8532

At the end of this weekend I will post some note about my install and experience with it in the JB1 forum that already exists.

mr wrong

Drag Racing Champion
Pulled the trigger on a JB4 yesterday.. Next up is a downpipe which I've narrowed down to either APR or AWE's 'guaranteed no CEL', and the Fluidamper off my GTI.

More info about that here- http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94020

Noticed a nice difference on my K04'd GTI..

mattkime

Passed Driver's Ed
I think I'm going to go JB4 + IS20. if i'm to believe what APR promises, this should get me close to 300hps.

Now I need to start thinking about what it will take install this stuff. Looks like I have some homework to do. Study study study.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Someone has a catted USP golf R downpipe for sale for $300 in the VW MK7 Private Sales group on facebook

bennybmn

Ready to race!
Great thread! The Alltrack is an interesting mix of parts, having the tranny and AWD from an R and the engine of a golf... so it's nice to see some dedicated threads. Now I need to keep my eyes peeled for a JB4....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

captadhoc

Is it possible to temporarily disable an APR tune?I understand that it will still exist and can throw a flag.

However, lets say for practical purposes one has a 93 tune and ones wife forgets and puts 87 gas in. Can it be disabled until the tank is refilled?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Is it possible to temporarily disable an APR tune?I understand that it will still exist and can throw a flag.

However, lets say for practical purposes one has a 93 tune and ones wife forgets and puts 87 gas in. Can it be disabled until the tank is refilled?

No...you'd have to have it flashed back to stock by your APR dealer

Burgei1

Definitely understood the differences when I decided on the JB1. Part of my upgrades in the future (a couple years from now) would include the JB1 to JB4 upgrade kit. I am sure I will ask for advise on those upgrades from the GolfMK7 community at that time. The information that is provided from all experienced Golf owners on the forum is very helpful and appreciated!

I got the JB1 installed last night and have driven about 75 miles since. Definitely a nice needed boost and I am happy with it for my daily driving. It was just what I wanted, for the time being, to hold me over for more upgrades in the future. The install was easy for the first two plugs (B and C) but plug D was slightly difficult to reach (as it has been noted in other forums). I was able to reach plug D without taking the engine under tray, which is the Alltrack is a skid plate and requires bolts to also be removed. It looks identical to the skid plate golfdave installed on this thread: http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8532

At the end of this weekend I will post some note about my install and experience with it in the JB1 forum that already exists.

Hey there. How's it going with this? I have a 6 speed MT Alltrack too and am thinking of getting the JB1. How's the clutch holding up?

sponger85

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
17 Alltrack & 20 GTI
Hey there. How's it going with this? I have a 6 speed MT Alltrack too and am thinking of getting the JB1. How's the clutch holding up?

I love it, very noticeable, usable power around town and still 20-25/30-32mpg (city/hwy). Definitely worth the install and $$$.

FYI, It was a little tricky to install with one of the plugs, but I actually got it installed without removing any under tray pieces. I would recommend having someone with thin long arms around to help you!

Clutch works great with it, from my experience and driving. From what I have read, and someone correct me if I am wrong, this clutch/transmission is the same as the GTI/R. Both the GTI/R already have more HP/TQ than the 1.8TSI+JB1, so I never really expected it to slip. Saying that, if you dump it in in high RPM or something similar I am sure you can cause it to slip but not under controlled driving.

sponger85

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
17 Alltrack & 20 GTI
Okay. Why?

Here is why I chose the JB1: simpler unit, cheaper cost, completely reversible plug and play and I do not plan on adjusting the tuning or adding anymore upgrades.

I would go with the JB4 if you plan to add other upgrades (larger turbo, exhaust, etc) and will want to be able to tune the setting more (even wirelessly using the bluetooth connection ability).

Burgei1

I love it, very noticeable, usable power around town and still 20-25/30-32mpg (city/hwy). Definitely worth the install and $$$.

FYI, It was a little tricky to install with one of the plugs, but I actually got it installed without removing any under tray pieces. I would recommend having someone with thin lTong arms around to help you!

Clutch works great with it, from my experience and driving. From what I have read, and someone correct me if I am wrong, this clutch/transmission is the same as the GTI/R. Both the GTI/R already have more HP/TQ than the 1.8TSI+JB1, so I never really expected it to slip. Saying that, if you dump it in in high RPM or something similar I am sure you can cause it to slip but not under controlled driving.

Sounds awesome. I think it's time for me to place my order. Thanks for providing this feedback. Cheers!

Burgei1

Here is why I chose the JB1: simpler unit, cheaper cost, completely reversible plug and play and I do not plan on adjusting the tuning or adding anymore upgrades.

I would go with the JB4 if you plan to add other upgrades (larger turbo, exhaust, etc) and will want to be able to tune the setting more (even wirelessly using the bluetooth connection ability).

I'm in line with your thoughts. I'm not looking to add other upgrades and not looking to adjust things beyond what is possible already with the JB1. Just looking for a little more grunt, not a race car. JB1 sounds like the right choice.