GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

What are people paying on the East Coast?

Nsknick

Ready to race!
Hello,

I'm relatively new to the forums, but figured I'd reach out to anyone who might be able to offer some advice, as I'm a complete noob when it comes to buying a new car. I currently live in Delaware, and when looking for a new car, I finally settled on a GTI. While looking up prices, I noticed that the dealers in VA had there GTI's significantly cheaper than my local dealer (Smith VW). In my mind, I was thinking that my local dealer would have no problem price matching.

I reached out to Smith VW, and was very honest with the "Internet Sales Manager", I told them that I wanted to make sure they would price match this other dealer, prior to me coming in and taking a test drive and what not (I didn't want my time wasted, nor theirs). The Internet sales manager said they would price match, and I even gave this individual the link to the car, as well as the price.

Last Friday, I got an email from a salesperson, who I had connected with when I went in to test drive the car, basically told me that they only had one left, and I should come in an put a deposit down to save the car. I mentioned to him that I wanted the matched price stated on the order form. He then replies "The price is the price". I then reached out to the internet sales manager who basically said there is fine print on the VA dealerships website, that says I would have to qualify for all these incentives. My fault for not reading the fine print. The issue is is that I was promised a price, and now am scrambling to find a good deal on a GTI. I'm selling my old car to my brother who lives in Florida, and he already applied for a loan, and if I can't find a car, he can't apply for another loan for awhile.

I've been quoted by one dealer for a DSG GTI S at $23.6k, mind you it's July, and the 2018's are due to come out. Could anyone tell me what they might have paid for their GTI, I'm trying to leverage prices for negotiating. At this point I'm willing to drive 50 miles in any direction and buy from whomever gives me the best deal. Sorry for the long post, I appreciate anyone who responds!

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I paid $24.5k for a 2017 Sport last September from Stohlman. I flew in to get the car and drove 5 hours back. So if you want a deal you need to drive more than 50 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nsknick

Ready to race!
So there was fine print that YOU didn't read, and you want them to honor the price that wasn't legit anyways???
Of course there were strings attached for that low low price

There's a whole thread full of prices paid btw:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8082

Yes, and I understand that. I know there is a whole thread, but my post is aimed at individuals who live in the East Coast. Thanks

Nsknick

Ready to race!
I paid $24.5k for a 2017 Sport last September from Stohlman. I flew in to get the car and drove 5 hours back. So if you want a deal you need to drive more than 50 miles.

At this point, I'm using that as a negotiating term when talking to dealers. I'm willing to drive up to 100 miles in any direction for a good deal. That's crazy that you got the sport in 16 for that, well done.

cornercarver

Passed Driver's Ed
If you are willing to drive / fly to Florida there are a lot of good deals. Rick Case had GTI sports with DGS for 24,xxx earlier this year.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Too much information missing. It boils down to this.

2 BUCKETS

1 bucket is money that goes to the dealer. The car, doc fee, destination. This is all negotiable. This is the number you need to determine if you are getting a fair deal. Some people give this info in the thread referenced above.

The other bucket is tax, title, license. This bucket goes to the gov't and is NOT negotiable. It is worthless information when determining fair price for a car.

i.e crxgator's North Carolina taxes are 3%. Rough hand calc he paid $23,765 for his car. My tax is 8.75%. If I buy the exact same car from the same dealer as him I would pay $25,800.

Who got the better deal? WE GOT THE SAME DEAL. $23,756+TTL. The dealer gives zero fucks what we have to pay for TTL. Don't like what you pay for taxes? Move and register your car somewhere else.

OTD is a worthless measuring stick.

Also, read the fine print. Other things that muddy the waters when comparing...trade-in, financing terms.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
No, my price is with all fees minus taxes and reg.

I agree with what you're saying and that's why I always give the price of the car with "bucket 1" included.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I reached out to Smith VW, and was very honest with the "Internet Sales Manager", I told them that I wanted to make sure they would price match this other dealer, prior to me coming in and taking a test drive and what not (I didn't want my time wasted, nor theirs). The Internet sales manager said they would price match, and I even gave this individual the link to the car, as well as the price.

That is just to make you walk into the dealership, typical trick played by almost every other dealership.

Last Friday, I got an email from a salesperson, who I had connected with when I went in to test drive the car, basically told me that they only had one left, and I should come in an put a deposit down to save the car. I mentioned to him that I wanted the matched price stated on the order form. He then replies "The price is the price". I then reached out to the internet sales manager who basically said there is fine print on the VA dealerships website, that says I would have to qualify for all these incentives. My fault for not reading the fine print. The issue is is that I was promised a price, and now am scrambling to find a good deal on a GTI. I'm selling my old car to my brother who lives in Florida, and he already applied for a loan, and if I can't find a car, he can't apply for another loan for awhile.

They are still plenty of 2017s left for sale. If if that dealership claims their only car left in the lot to be precious, they are not going to budge in. Better walk away.

I've been quoted by one dealer for a DSG GTI S at $23.6k, mind you it's July, and the 2018's are due to come out. Could anyone tell me what they might have paid for their GTI, I'm trying to leverage prices for negotiating. At this point I'm willing to drive 50 miles in any direction and buy from whomever gives me the best deal.

People are driving from Midwest to DC area to buy cars. Since you are close by, you can very well negotiate a deal from any of those dealers. I bought mine from Stohlman and i see 2017 GTI S with DSG listed for 21,432 + destination + documentation charges + title and tax. Very few dealers might be able to beat that price.

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I guess yell at people who don't do that.

Nsknick

Ready to race!
People are driving from Midwest to DC area to buy cars. Since you are close by, you can very well negotiate a deal from any of those dealers. I bought mine from Stohlman and i see 2017 GTI S with DSG listed for 21,432 + destination + documentation charges + title and tax. Very few dealers might be able to beat that price.

Literally just contacted a bunch of dealers, quoting pricing from Sheehy, which I confirmed does not include incentives. Had one guy call me back who couldn't beat sheehy at that price, he basically said before TTL $24,866 for a base model DSG. So that leaves $3,434 of fees, which I know include a $699 fee and a ~$850 destination fee, which then brings down to fees of $1,855. I'd be more than happy to pay 23,317 for the car before TTL, but I'm not paying an extra $1,855 for a year end model. I'm also surprised at how many dealerships don't have the courtesy to call me back and tell me that they won't match the price.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Literally just contacted a bunch of dealers, quoting pricing from Sheehy, which I confirmed does not include incentives. Had one guy call me back who couldn't beat sheehy at that price, he basically said before TTL $24,866 for a base model DSG. So that leaves $3,434 of fees, which I know include a $699 fee and a ~$850 destination fee, which then brings down to fees of $1,855. I'd be more than happy to pay 23,317 for the car before TTL, but I'm not paying an extra $1,855 for a year end model. I'm also surprised at how many dealerships don't have the courtesy to call me back and tell me that they won't match the price.

I think a good pricing for that configuration would be around 23,000 + tax and title based on online prices. If you want, i can PM you my sales guy and sales manager information. They are pretty straight forward.