GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New member with 2017 GTI and MSS spring kit

bcelliott

Hello everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. Joined recently after I bought a new Night Blue Metallic 2017 GTI Sport PP DSG. I previously drove a 2014 Sportwagen TDI which VW bought back, and before that, a 2002 Audi Allroad. I've lurked around the forum for a while, but finally joined.

After reaching 1000 miles on the GTI, I wanted to begin mods for handling and power. After reading all the forum opinions I could find, the majority of you agreed that tires and/or suspension improvements should happen before a tune on a GTI. Yesterday, my shop finished installing ECS flush spacers, Michelin PS A/S 3+ tires (replacing the Pirellis), and a front and rear adjustable MSS Sport spring kit. Most of the reviews of the MSS Sport kits were for DCC or Audi adjustable struts, but my GTI doesn't have DCC, so I took a chance. Had the car lowered from 4 fingers gap between the fenders and tires stock down to 2 fingers, with slight reverse rake for front settling. I should also mention that I had noticed that the driver's side hit potholes awfully hard, and my mechanic found three blue suspension pucks still on the strut. Nice.

Since all mods were done at the same time, it's difficult to separate their different contributions, but I will just say this: THIS IS EXACTLY THE WAY THIS CAR SHOULD HAVE COME FROM THE FACTORY!!! WOW! These are my observations:

1) The ride is just as comfortable as stock (really!) but the damping rate is much more closely matched to the springs. It is much tighter-feeling, and there is no bounce over a bump, just one compression and back most of the time. There is no noise either! I've had cars with lowering springs, and the reduced travel of the struts and stiffness help cornering, but don't feel anywhere near as good as the MSS system. It's like having your cake and eating it too. I was hoping for this!
2) The majority of squat and dive is gone--the car just accelerates without tires chirping and it brakes in a turn without understeer or too heavy of a steering feel. This should greatly help putting more power to the ground later after a tune.
3) Handling in corners is ridiculously predictable. There is little body roll, but not too little. Most of the understeer is gone, but the rear does not feel like it will break loose. It feels about as balanced as a FWD car can be without a track setup.
4) Perhaps due to the wheels being moved out more to the corners, and possibly partly due to lowering as well, the car feels so much more planted. I haven't driven a Golf R, but I imagine even it would struggle to match this suspension in stock form.
5) Road feel is much better. No doubt the Michelins are responsible for this.
6) The car looks awesome! Way more aggressive but not overdone.

Total cost was $1100 for MSS, $200 for spacers, and $620 for Michelins plus labor, so for a little over $2000, I have a completely different car. Seriously. I cannot believe how easy it is to push this FWD car hard in the corners. This is how I always imagined a GTI would feel like before I got one. It's my daily driver, and it still feels comfortable on harsh roads. I had been salivating over the prospect of a tune, but the way this car drives, I've almost forgotten about my need for speed for now. I would heartily recommend tires, good spacers, and the MSS kit as a package. If I had known what I know now, and these mods had been an optional package from the factory, I would not have bought the car without it.

Thanks for all that all of you contribute to the forum, and I've enjoyed being a part of it already.

1Krautburner

Ready to race!
I have the MSS streets kit, paired with a 25mm rear sway bar, and the ride is definitely way stiffer than stock. I'm beginning to wonder just how much the rear bar contributes to the harsh ride I have. I had an 04 R32 with SHS coilovers, and a bigger rear bar, and my GTI definitely rides less comfortably. I also have 034 strut mounts, which are coming out this week to be replaced with stock mounts. I'll be anxious to see if the OEM mounts make a difference in ride quality.
The handling improvement is tremendous with the MSS kit, but the ride quality I have is bordering on too harsh for a daily.

Yesterday, my shop finished installing ECS flush spacers, Michelin PS A/S 3+ tires (replacing the Pirellis), and a front and rear adjustable MSS Sport spring kit. ....
I should also mention that I had noticed that the driver's side hit potholes awfully hard, and my mechanic found three blue suspension pucks still on the strut. Nice.
1) The ride is just as comfortable as stock (really!)
Didn't you say you didn't drive your car stock without the shipping pucks?
So how do you know how it rides without them? :confused: Or does it feel with the
spring kit as it did with the shipping pucks in place? :confused:

tknj99

Ready to race!
I wonder if the lowering is really needed? I had lowered my MK6 on stock Pirelli's and it still understeered.

Im thinking on the MK7 with LSD, better tires than these Hancock's would do the trick

When you want to decrease understeer you'd need to alter front camber.

When body roll is less spring rates actually are higher. You can't cheat physics.

bcelliott

I guess I don't really know what the ride was like in mine without the driver's side pucks, but I did test drive a GTi sport at the dealership, which I assume didn't have the pucks. It seemed like the same ride, but when I hit potholes on mine, it bottomed out on that side.

I don't know what the camber was before spring installation, but after my alignment, the fronts ended up at -1.2 deg.

My rear sway is stock. I'd think that ride comfort is better with the MSS kit if the setup is closer to stock. This setup now is definitely stiffer, but doesn't feel at all less comfortable for some reason. With two spring rates in the rear, the response becomes nonlinear--it's like it absorbes bumps like stock, but doesn't squat or lean as much. I've let two people drive it, and without prompting, both said the same thing that I did: it should have come this way from the factory. One of these guys drives a Porsche, and wasn't impressed with my GTi stock, but after driving it again was quite impressed at the improvement.

Having said all that, the Michelins are probably responsible for most of the improvement. Their grip is tremendous around corners. According to the sport display in the dash, consistently the car pulled 1.1g in turns (on an old airfield) with the traction control fully on. The stock Pirellis were squealing and sliding all over the place before, and the best I could do with them was 0.9g. I can now get power down much earlier in a turn. Honestly, this is now a much different car. I wonder if there would have been as much improvement without the LSD?

I can't quantify how much the lowering helped handling by itself, but the look is much better to me. Likewise on the spacers.

Further observation: the Michelins are much louder above 40 mph than the Pirellis. Noticeably so. It's a tradeoff for the performance.

bcelliott

before:
[/URL][/IMG]

after:

bcelliott

I replaced the 034 strut mounts with stock ones yesterday, and the difference is like night and day. The ride is now buttery smooth.
I definitely recommend the MSS kit!

Do you feel like your aftermarket sway bar considerably helps the overall handling through corners with the MSS kit, or is it a marginal improvement?

1Krautburner

Ready to race!
Do you feel like your aftermarket sway bar considerably helps the overall handling through corners with the MSS kit, or is it a marginal improvement?

I actually had the rear bar first, on otherwise stock suspension, before I had the MSS springs. I felt like it made a significant difference in the stability of the rear end, especially at high speeds, and in transitions where the stock suspension felt floaty. The car also stayed flatter and more neutral in turns.

I really like the MSS springs and rear sway bar combo, especially so, now that the stock strut mounts are in. I'm still on the stock all season tires, so I imagine that when I get some decent Summer tires I'm really going to be happy.

I'm planning on doing a few track days this Fall, so I definitely need to upgrade the rubber.

bcelliott

I actually had the rear bar first, on otherwise stock suspension, before I had the MSS springs. I felt like it made a significant difference in the stability of the rear end, especially at high speeds, and in transitions where the stock suspension felt floaty. The car also stayed flatter and more neutral in turns.

I really like the MSS springs and rear sway bar combo, especially so, now that the stock strut mounts are in. I'm still on the stock all season tires, so I imagine that when I get some decent Summer tires I'm really going to be happy.

I'm planning on doing a few track days this Fall, so I definitely need to upgrade the rubber.

Thanks for this. I've ordered the 034 rear sway bar to add to the setup. Do you have yours set soft or stiff? You will have a big smile after you install some good tires.

1Krautburner

Ready to race!
Thanks for this. I've ordered the 034 rear sway bar to add to the setup. Do you have yours set soft or stiff? You will have a big smile after you install some good tires.

I have a Neuspeed 25mm rear bar, so it is not adjustable. I would definitely recommend setting your bar on the softest setting at first. If you feel like you'd like it stiffer it's easy to change holes to stiffen it up.

I think you'll like the combo!

RebelGTI1

Passed Driver's Ed
I can't decide between the MSS Street Kit vs. a set of Bilstein B8's paired with Emmanuele Design springs. Only need a 1" drop and better handling. Sorry for reviving an old thread but I'd really appreciate advice on this matter.

funks

Ready to race!
If you buy the MSS kit, make sure you get it from MSS UK, with the current exchange rate it’s cheaper ( free shipping to the US ) (it's gone through a couple of revisions).

https://www.msskits.com/vw-full-or-standard-kits.html

The street standard kit is currently £495.83 which is 643 US dollars.
The fully adjustable street is currently £599.95 which is 782 US dollars.

Make sure you understand the current issue with the front springs (205 length, or 220 length - might get shipped the wrong one). Currently dealing with the front spring issue right now (front spring marked MQB205 is a tad short, so when the adjuster is set at no gap, the spring swims around in there loose under droop - eq. working on your car. There's extra play and space means you gotta be real careful putting you car down as the bearing may misalign with the locator slot on the top mount leaving it cockeyed), and a lot of people dealt with the rear sport spring issue (where the front had to be at max drop, and the rear at max height in order to try to get it level leading to NO adjustment options at all).

We believe the latest kits for the MK7 were revised and have 60mm ID rear height adjusters (so orange spring on top, black spring on the bottom) - nevertheless, the ones the current US dealers are selling looks like it's the old 2016 stock (black spring on top, orange spring on the bottom - 65mm ID rear adjuster)

Read about the issues here - https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthr...own-the-kit-(street-sport-track)-MK7-GOLF-Kit

Another option you should explore are the new 034 Dynamic+ Lowering Springs (they got a GTI and a GOLF R specific one).

Last edited: