GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Official MK7 Golf/GTI 1/4 Thread

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I would be careful making blanket statements. I don't want to start a huge derailment about what is best and isn't, but you are using an E30 map. I have spoken to Jon enough to know there is a 25whp difference between a well tuned 93 and E30 map. That is the difference between 112 .5 and 114 mph. As it sits, no one else is really offering E30 maps except the 100 octane APR and GIAC which have run 114mph (MK7ATX), and that was on slicks where there is more rolling resistance.

This is coming from someone who is running 5150 as well.

5150 is competitive with APR, GIAC and ED flashes. There isn't enough room left to push 20-40whp more out of the IS20 on pump gas than the big 3 (ED,APR,GIAC).

PacDawg has 114 mph on 93. Not to knock 5150 or Cobb, but Jon did several tunes for him and tweaked a lot on e30 to get what an off the shelf APR did. It's a very blanket statement. Some guys have said that the 5150 tune is a bit aggressive for every day. Haven't heard that about APR. The air at Atco was pretty bad though, so I'm sure his car has potential to go faster. It does show that there is only so much the IS20 has to give. Regardless of the tuner.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
PacDawg has 114 mph on 93. Not to knock 5150 or Cobb, but Jon did several tunes for him and tweaked a lot on e30 to get what an off the shelf APR did. It's a very blanket statement. Some guys have said that the 5150 tune is a bit aggressive for every day. Haven't heard that about APR. The air at Atco was pretty bad though, so I'm sure his car has potential to go faster. It does show that there is only so much the IS20 has to give. Regardless of the tuner.

I am just not one for superlatives for the sake of praise.
I will judge how happy I am in terms of performance on the times I achieve when I head to the track.
Being fair to Jon, I am not going to say it is too aggressive for daily driving. APR boosts similar and timing is close. He has been great to deal with and has worked past his normal hours to send me revisions. From a human perspective, that is all I can ask for.
You have to remember that Jon is relatively new to the EA888 platform and that APR has many engineers and software professionals working on creating the best maps possible with a large swath of funding. The idea that Jon took 5, 10 or even 15 revisions to get it dialed in is not a big deal. For me, it was 5.
The closest comparison to Jon would be Chris from Eurodyne in the sense that they are lone men.
Lets see where the times go in the next couple weeks. The fastest 6MT right now is 12.6 (IS20). That is the barometer for me personally at this point.

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!
-PacDawg I believe was stripped and on slicks
-I'm was on old radials and still cut 1.9 60'. First time on them and they were borrowed from another MK7 owners who are also record holders.
-The file I was on made 20whp/30wtq less from 5000-6500 from the file I was supposed to be on.
-The file I will be on next will make 20whp and 30wtq next time in certain parts of the powerband that actually matter. I had the file in the AP I just didn't know I wasn't on it at the time until I got home looking at the logs.
-I short shifted at 6200 or lower in each gear.
-I'm running a DSG software not designed for the tune.
-I'm full weight(minus spare)
-100% Stock suspension with major squat
-No LSD

Just taking into consideration the short shifting and I could of hit 115-116mph on a very hot bad day. So if I change/do the above I'm going at least 117mph if I run in the early fall I wouldn't be surprised to go faster. The thing is I have a hybrid to put on and ascend this damn car but I'm contemplating holding back to push the IS20 in some more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kokYZ_spSpk

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Not all Protuners are made equal, EVERYONE has a choice to get a crap tune or go to a tuner who knows how to push power safely on this platform. My GTI IS20 NonPP with e-tune map from 5150 Racing traps 114.5mph on street tires, stock suspension, stock mounts, AND full weight(minus spare) on an IS20. Do you know how much power that is??

Cobb is the best solution period. No stack needed. Maestro when released will be another option as well.

Sure, you don't need to lay your case each time someone talks about a custom tune be it via Cobb or any other flash method. That car exited 119mph which is 2mph more than the record car you posted a while back so in fact its 2mph higher on a OTF tune without any ethanol. End of the day you got to give credit where its due as well.

johnnloki

Drag Racing Champion
Hotfart - I plan on testing the Cobb TC tomorrow on QTP's and street tires, so we'll see how that goes.

Nice. Did you go to TMP Cayuga, or back to Qc? Was thinking about Cayuga for my first time on the strip tonight, but unfortunately I still haven't put the JB4 in yet.

iNeedMorePSI

Ready to race!

PMd not trying to derail this thread.

Sure, you don't need to lay your case each time someone talks about a custom tune be it via Cobb or any other flash method. That car exited 119mph which is 2mph more than the record car you posted a while back so in fact its 2mph higher on a OTF tune without any ethanol. End of the day you got to give credit where its due as well.

PM'd for sake of thread.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
-PacDawg I believe was stripped and on slicks
-I'm was on old radials and still cut 1.9 60'. First time on them and they were borrowed from another MK7 owners who are also record holders.
-The file I was on made 20whp/30wtq less from 5000-6500 from the file I was supposed to be on.
-The file I will be on next will make 20whp and 30wtq next time in certain parts of the powerband that actually matter. I had the file in the AP I just didn't know I wasn't on it at the time until I got home looking at the logs.
-I short shifted at 6200 or lower in each gear.
-I'm running a DSG software not designed for the tune.
-I'm full weight(minus spare)
-100% Stock suspension with major squat
-No LSD

Just taking into consideration the short shifting and I could of hit 115-116mph on a very hot bad day. So if I change/do the above I'm going at least 117mph if I run in the early fall I wouldn't be surprised to go faster. The thing is I have a hybrid to put on and ascend this damn car but I'm contemplating holding back to push the IS20 in some more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kokYZ_spSpk

All is good. Great job and great job showing what the platform can keep doing. Competition improves the breed. Hurry up with that new turbo. I want to see what that beautiful downpipe can do

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Ran 12.504 at 112.42 mph with quite a few 113mphs. 1.9 60s, I'll post slips later.
Pump gas no ethanol, Hoosier qtps and seats out. 6mt IS20 record looks like.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Green dots indicate my times. 4 12.5's at 112/113mph.
Also pic of car at the track.

Had a few Audi guys come up, DA was 1800. Car has 114mph and 12.2-12.3 in her for sure.

Pump gas, seats out, Hoosier QTP's (dot legal), IC/DP/5150 93 tune.

Most surprising thing is I am 2-3mph faster than the closest 6MT cars. I feel it has more, we'll see what I can do when it cools down.

Attachments

• 306.jpg
    306.jpg
    268.9 KB · Views: 484
  • Slips.jpg
    Slips.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:

PacDawg

Drag Race Newbie
Congrats bro and nice driving. 5150 is doing work.

eb_rat_7

Passed Driver's Ed

4 door autobahn gti, manual, full weight (even has trailer hitch on it), 93 octane , street tires (contiextreme dw)

UM tune, IS38, cts direct fit intercooler, cts turbo inlet, neuspeed charge pipes/tmd, injen evo intake, UR catted/resonated downpipe, hpa pendulum mount, 034 motor and tranny mounts, and diy TTRS clutch.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
4 door autobahn gti, manual, full weight (even has trailer hitch on it), 93 octane , street tires (contiextreme dw)

UM tune, IS38, cts direct fit intercooler, cts turbo inlet, neuspeed charge pipes/tmd, injen evo intake, UR catted/resonated downpipe, hpa pendulum mount, 034 motor and tranny mounts, and diy TTRS clutch.

Hey dude,

Could you please just confirm which one if yours? I am assuming the 13s @ 111 run. I will add this weekend!