GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Burger Tuning JB4 Golf 1.8TSI MQB specific information thread

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I am still running JB1. Also, i am not seeing anywhere near 15psi of boost. Maybe 12ish max. Im going to try and upload a qucik run i did on 2nd gear.

Most you will get out of the JB1 is like 5.6 additive you're not going to see anywhere near JB4 levels

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
I tried an FOL of 80 no meth. With FOL at 70 and no meth my trims were at 51. With FOL at 80 my trims went to 48 and I got a fuel pressure CEL.

So it looks like 80 doesn't work for my car.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
I tried an FOL of 80 no meth. With FOL at 70 and no meth my trims were at 51. With FOL at 80 my trims went to 48 and I got a fuel pressure CEL.

So it looks like 80 doesn't work for my car.

Thanks for testing the limit. So far Ironshade is still ok with 75

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
I've been running FOL 75 and so far so good, trims went from 50s to 47s when I switched from FOL70 to 75. I've done at least 30 WOTS and Also went to drag strip and did about 10 passes. So far so good. My drag times were horrible tho.

14.1 @ 105 was the best I could do with 140-150 IATS. But I gained 26MPH on back half from the 1.8th - 1/4. Most 60foots were 2.7 and I had one magical 2.4. I'll be back soon my car never had a chance to cool down, 2 hour drive then straight to strip doing back to back passes because the strip was closing.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzhY860kqXt1NVg1X1pXVUNmazg

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
I've been running FOL 75 and so far so good, trims went from 50s to 47s when I switched from FOL70 to 75. I've done at least 30 WOTS and Also went to drag strip and did about 10 passes. So far so good. My drag times were horrible tho.

14.1 @ 105 was the best I could do with 140-150 IATS. But I gained 26MPH on back half from the 1.8th - 1/4. Most 60foots were 2.7 and I had one magical 2.4. I'll be back soon my car never had a chance to cool down, 2 hour drive then straight to strip doing back to back passes because the strip was closing.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzhY860kqXt1NVg1X1pXVUNmazg

Thanks for sharing. What max boost are you running now?

Ironshade

Go Kart Newbie
Running 22psi-18psi at 6500 on my medium boost setting. Didn't try my 27psi-20 because car was already way to hot and there was not point.. especially since timing was taking a huge hit from IaTs

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
Running 22psi-18psi at 6500 on my medium boost setting. Didn't try my 27psi-20 because car was already way to hot and there was not point.. especially since timing was taking a huge hit from IaTs

Boost By Gear!!!! LOL . Back half is really strong. Especially since you matched trap speeds with the Stage 1 S3 and picked up more than him after the 1/8.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzhY860kqXt1ZjloN2ROZFJqV0E

Fuel trims on FOL 75. So far so good. I've been using it for 3 days now with at least 50WOTs

Awesome, thanks for doing this testing. Graph looks good up to 5500 RPM where you left off.

George, after the research by Ironshade and Ton (80 was too high for him it seems), do you think it is safe to run FOL up to 75 to keep trims under 50? I am currently sitting at 20 PSI max and things are good for me using FOL 70. However, if I increase boost a bit further, my bet is that I will be in the same boat as Ironshade and will be tempted to move up to 75. Thanks!

Gro Harlem

Ready to race!
Alright guys! I finally got around to installing my JB4 this weekend and am pretty lost when it comes to tuning it. I am bone-stock using 93 octane and have the AISIN 6-speed tiptronic auto which seems to hold the power well according to the posts I've read here.

Quick questions:
1: I am using a Laptop with the USB cable and when I click "Start" for data logging it says "Starting...." forever and never seems to do anything. How long should it take to begin datalogging?

2: I'm on Map1 right now. Should I just get a datalog of my car on Map1 and send it to George before I mess with Map6?

3: If I were to mess with Map6, from all the research I've done in this thread (this thread is honestly is pretty damn confusing not going to lie) I should be tapering boost up from around 10.5-11 at 1500 to maybe 14-15.0 at 4000 then back down to maybe 13.0 by 7000rpm. Also set the AFR to 100 on all of them always unless I'm piggybacking another tune (which I'm not) and set the FOL to 60 to start and Boost safety to 16-17 depending on what my max boost is set. Does this sound correct?

4: Can I somehow connect my phone to the app using my USB cable or do I absolutely have to buy the Bluetooth adapter kit? It seems to me that the laptop/windows program is slow/glitchy from my experience with trying to start datalogging so far.

5: Is it normal for the Map6 to constantly revert back to the GTI-specs even after I edit it? I was entering data and boost safety info into it and when I reconnected it, it went back to 24.0 boost safety which I believe is the GTI-specific map6. Is there a special way to save the settings in Map6 so it doesn't do this?

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Alright guys! I finally got around to installing my JB4 this weekend and am pretty lost when it comes to tuning it. I am bone-stock using 93 octane and have the AISIN 6-speed tiptronic auto which seems to hold the power well according to the posts I've read here.

Quick questions:
1: I am using a Laptop with the USB cable and when I click "Start" for data logging it says "Starting...." forever and never seems to do anything. How long should it take to begin datalogging?

The unit only data logs over a certain amount of log. So press Start then do your run and press Stop and see what it displays.

2: I'm on Map1 right now. Should I just get a datalog of my car on Map1 and send it to George before I mess with Map6?

You can do map 1 or if you going to use someones settings from here as a starting point that is fine too.

3: If I were to mess with Map6, from all the research I've done in this thread (this thread is honestly is pretty damn confusing not going to lie) I should be tapering boost up from around 10.5-11 at 1500 to maybe 14-15.0 at 4000 then back down to maybe 13.0 by 7000rpm. Also set the AFR to 100 on all of them always unless I'm piggybacking another tune (which I'm not) and set the FOL to 60 to start and Boost safety to 16-17 depending on what my max boost is set. Does this sound correct?

Correct

4: Can I somehow connect my phone to the app using my USB cable or do I absolutely have to buy the Bluetooth adapter kit? It seems to me that the laptop/windows program is slow/glitchy from my experience with trying to start datalogging so far.

If you got Android you can buy the app and use the data cable into a OTG into the phone. No one has cracked IOS for this so only option with that is bluetooth.

5: Is it normal for the Map6 to constantly revert back to the GTI-specs even after I edit it? I was entering data and boost safety info into it and when I reconnected it, it went back to 24.0 boost safety which I believe is the GTI-specific map6. Is there a special way to save the settings in Map6 so it doesn't do this?

After you enter the settings do you save? If its not taking it make sure you connected to the unit first.

See above.

George Smooth

Drag Race Newbie
Awesome, thanks for doing this testing. Graph looks good up to 5500 RPM where you left off.

George, after the research by Ironshade and Ton (80 was too high for him it seems), do you think it is safe to run FOL up to 75 to keep trims under 50? I am currently sitting at 20 PSI max and things are good for me using FOL 70. However, if I increase boost a bit further, my bet is that I will be in the same boat as Ironshade and will be tempted to move up to 75. Thanks!

When increasing FOL look at the FP H value and see if its going up. At a certain point the rail can only hold so much pressure. Small amounts of trim change can be due to load as well so it requires a perfect environment to see if it is actually making a difference. Besides the risk of running a fuel pressure to low fault there no risk a too high a FOL.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
When increasing FOL look at the FP H value and see if its going up. At a certain point the rail can only hold so much pressure. Small amounts of trim change can be due to load as well so it requires a perfect environment to see if it is actually making a difference. Besides the risk of running a fuel pressure to low fault there no risk a too high a FOL.

Awesome, thanks!