GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Canceling service contract?

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
So my dealer charged $699 for it and after reading what it was I reached out to the dealer and canceled. Can I call up VW care and purchase it for $425?

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
So my dealer charged $699 for it and after reading what it was I reached out to the dealer and canceled. Can I call up VW care and purchase it for $425?
Good to hear you managed to get it canceled.

It might be cheaper to look out for and use service coupons and pay at the time of service if you still decide to use a VW dealer.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You also get a brake fluid change and cabin filter. But you did pay too much. But you have room to complain. If I can get you to pay for a car for over list price whose fault is it?

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
As of my memory, Extended warranty could be cancelled anytime for a refund. I am not sure about the Maintenance package.

Not true. There is a fee for cancelling, and it's pro-rated. I think they also subtract anything they already paid out.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

Why do this?

My $.02, personally don't ever prepay for "insurance" or "warranty" on things that will not monetarily break you. That's what insurance is for... to protect your assets from being decimated.

There are huge profits in these things for the companies selling them and there is a reason for this.

If a wheel bending or a scheduled service will hurt you financially you need to reevaluate your finances.

It took me a while to save but I currently have over two years of expenses in liquid investments. I can't tell you how much better I sleep at night knowing I can weather a financial/career apocalypse. Save your money and put it into savings or other investments.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Strange. Document clearly says it cannot be cancelled and not refundable unless the vehicle is totalled.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Why do this?

My $.02, personally don't ever prepay for "insurance" or "warranty" on things that will not monetarily break you. That's what insurance is for... to protect your assets from being decimated.

If someone is planning to do the regular maintenance in VW dealership, VW Care and Care Plus works out to be cheaper.

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
Why do this?

There are huge profits in these things for the companies selling them and there is a reason for this.

If a wheel bending or a scheduled service will hurt you financially you need to reevaluate your finances.

It took me a while to save but I currently have over two years of expenses in liquid investments. I can't tell you how much better I sleep at night knowing I can weather a financial/career apocalypse. Save your money and put it into savings or other investments.

Did you mean to post this in r/personalfinance? In all seriousness, I'm just looking to save a few bucks on the regular maintenance I plan of performing, but I was a little peeved to see the same plan was on VW.com for $425. Doing the math, it's much cheaper to get the maintenance done at a local shop and my considering my history with my local dealer (see threads started by arrrgh14), I don't want them touching my car again.

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
If someone is planning to do the regular maintenance in VW dealership, VW Care and Care Plus works out to be cheaper.

Curious as to what your math was? The 40 and 50k might make sense with the DSG service, but the first 30 is just oil changes, rotations and a brake fluid flush at 30k right? I'm way under the cost of the VW Care plan with just that stuff.

MikeyR44

Go Kart Newbie
Strange. Document clearly says it cannot be cancelled and not refundable unless the vehicle is totalled.

This might be an old doc... I reached out to VW care via chat and they confirmed it could be canceled before I reached out to the purchasing dealer who happily obliged.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Curious as to what your math was? The 40 and 50k might make sense with the DSG service, but the first 30 is just oil changes, rotations and a brake fluid flush at 30k right? I'm way under the cost of the VW Care plan with just that stuff.

And one cabin filter. That's what, about $400 a year ago? I paid about $279. I bought from an out-of-state dealer so no sales taxes.

You make out better if you have an R, since you also get a Haldex oil change.

I talked to the service manager about it. Unless he's blowing smoke he said if the mechanic does everything on the list they lose money. I have to believe him. Checking all the little things on the list takes time. Rotations take a lot of time too. And the dealer threw in a new drain plug.

In my case they did better, because I had them do only the oil change/filter/drain plug and nothing else. I check everything else myself and their wheel equipment is old and I didn't want my wheels scratched.

If my cabin filter gets stinky before 2 years I'll replace it myself. The dealer said they will just hand me the new one for later. They last a long time if you keep them indoors in an air conditioned room.

Figure out how much your dealer charges for the services and take it from there. It was worth it for me.

As for extended warranties, I bought the Fidelity 7/70/0 deductible for $1550. Also from an out-of-state dealer. Every one I called in Florida wanted $2,500. I'm sure I'll need A/C work and who knows what else. A new compressor and receiver dryer costs that much. Every GTI I've owned also needed both cooling fans, door latches, horns, and hatch struts. That's another $2,500. Florida heat, humidity and rain are terrible on cars. And I garage my cars.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
The post about the rule for not insuring for what you afford to pay out of your own pocket is certainly true. After all, who buys $50 deductible for collision or comp anymore? Too expensive.

There is also a rule that states don't pay more than 6% of the value of something for a warranty. The price the dealers in Florida wanted for the extended warranty was right there. So they seem to take the rule into consideration.

As for having enough money saved to get you past financial difficulties, if you're blowing all your money on new cars, tunes, wheels, etc., and lose your job you might want to reconsider the advice. I worked with people who didn't have any savings because they thought they would never get laid off. You can surmise what happened. So unless you live at home and mommy and daddy are going to take care of you...

gdub1

I paid for the service/maintenance contract too. It was $500 bucks. I thought oil changes could be at most $300 bucks for the 3 every 10,000 miles. Also you get tire rotations, brake fluid change, cabin air filter, etc. I guess if you can do all these yourself then yes it was a rip off. But if you cannot do these things for yourself then it will be money well spent. I can do it all myself but time is the issue. I work a lot. Sometimes it is just easier to let someone else do the dirty work in the beginning. My 2 cents.

ManInTheClouds

Ready to race!

Oil change ($60), tire rotation, inspection

Oil change ($60), tire rotation, pollen filter ($20), inspection

Oil change ($60), tire rotation, brake fluid flush ($100), inspection

-----

Not terrible really.