GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Noticeability of wheel weights

rubb3r

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm currently looking at rse10s and v710s in 18x8.5 (pretty common wheels i know) and I was curious if anybody has run both and felt a noticeable difference from the lighter weight rse10s. Aesthetics-wise I prefer the look of the gunmetal on the 710s, but if the handling was just that much better on the rse10s I'd lean that way.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Of course, lighter wheels (and tires) have advantages

Faster acceleration (less weight to spin when getting going)
Easier on the brakes (less weight to stop moving)
And better handling (again, less weight to throw around for the suspension)

You don't see guys Auto X-ing with 20" heavy chrome wheels, do ya? lol

RacingManiac

Drag Race Newbie
I think its fairly noticeable...I run the same size wheels and tires between summer and winter, with the winter set being on heavy factory Audi wheels(25+lb) vs summer wheels on OZs (18lb) and the sluggish feel on the winter set is extremely noticeable...

annoyingmouse

From a handling perspective, it used to be widely figured that a pound of un-sprung weight was worth about 8 pounds sprung weight. So, adding 5lbs per corner would be like having a passenger with you, which shouldn't hurt too much. TBH, I don't think the sprung to unsprung comparison is really valid, but more importantly, I think the affect of the added rotational mass is more significant to braking than it is to handling. As long as you don't go too crazy with the weight, I doubt you'd notice much in daily driving.

Dave10781

Go Kart Champion
You're going to notice going from Austins to RSE10s. It's a significant weight savings. I'd say just make sure to do it right with upgraded tires too while you're at it.

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
I just went from the austins and stock tires to the rse10's w/ Michelin PSS tires and it transformed the car in every aspect.

But unfortunately for the OP, you can't ascribe the perceived performance gains solely to the wheels, so your observation doesn't help the OP.

Hammersticks

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'16 GTI, '18 e-Golf
Still not sure why VMR never came out with the 710FF in an 18...or why Neuspeed chose satin over gloss and vice versa depending on the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Lets not forget about rigidity when we're talking about weights. When we're just dealing with Stock Austins, VMR V710s, and Rse10s, lets say strength/rigidity will be similar. Theres a chance the RSE10s might not be as rigid as a heavier wheel, because you have to lose weight somewhere, but to that same point the VMRs could be less rigid than the Neuspeeds just because they aren't built with that purpose in mind, or not manufactured as well. Bottom line is lightest is not always best, especially in the world of low cost cast/flow formed wheels.

The Neuspeeds lighter weight is definitely the best choice if you're looking to improve handling, acceleration, and feel without sacrificing.

Here is my favorite test by Enkei, same wheel but one is built for strength/rigidity (OTS wheel), the other is built for outright lightweight. 4lbs different per wheel, but the heavier, more rigid wheel performed better on the track (and held up better, but I don't think you can use that information because I don't think the lightweight wheel would pass VIA/JWL with the mods they performed):

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=479110

Last edited:
1 kg / 2 lbs per wheel incl. tire is barely noticeable, while 3 kg / 6 lbs per wheel incl. tire is clearly noticeable.