GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Exhaust for 1.8 TSI Sportwagon 4motion

Hey guys, I bought a 2017 Golf Sportwagon 4motion highline. I want to upgrade the exhaust system to give it a lower and louder sound as well as support a tune. So far the only aftermarket exhaust systems that I have found online are single exit exhaust like the AWE tuning exhaust, which also appears to been designed for a fwd wagon, not a 4motion.

Is there anyone here that has upgraded the exhaust system for their 4motion wagon? If so, what did you do?

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
The only thing that will support a tune is a downpipe. There is very little power to be gained in the exhaust past that. It's all for sound pretty much. The downpipe will give you a little bit more sound as well. I would start with that and then look into just a muffler swap if you want more sound. This way you don't end up with something too loud when you do the downpipe afterwards. You could probably swap in a golf R muffler, but would need a valance for dual exhaust

The only thing that will support a tune is a downpipe. There is very little power to be gained in the exhaust past that. It's all for sound pretty much. The downpipe will give you a little bit more sound as well. I would start with that and then look into just a muffler swap if you want more sound. This way you don't end up with something too loud when you do the downpipe afterwards. You could probably swap in a golf R muffler, but would need a valance for dual exhaust

That clears it up for me, Thank you. :) I'm new to tuning and modifying for power. Kinda nice to know that all I truly need is a downpipe, I thought I'd need both, so I can save a few bucks and bolt some double tips on for the look I want.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
The downpipe definitely is the biggest gain after a tune or JB4. Then would be an intercooler to keep the power. I have a catted downpipe on mine and it's still pretty quiet. Our muffler is a lot quieter than the gti and R. That's why that might be a good solution post downpipe. I kind of like mine with only a mild increase in sound , so I'm happy with it. I also cut out the vents in front of the intake, removed the snow guard and used a drop in filter. That helped with some soun too.