GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Rear Sway Bar Noise Or Springs?

matzi24

Passed Driver's Ed
I recently did some work on my golf, first time really installing anything other than brakes and an oil change. Had a friend who has a stage 2 jetta help me out since he is much more familiar with VW than I am. I installed some DG springs and a rear sway bar for some better performance. Install took a while but was nice to work on my own car and saved me a ton of money. Driving home, mainly highway, didnt hear a noise and didnt hear one driving the car around the neighborhood to see if anything was loose. The next morning I heard like a clanking sound when I hit particular bumps. Now I know the suspension will be a bit stiffer but these springs arent that aggressive so I wasnt expecting this kind of noise. Jacked the car up and check the three bolts on the control arm on the back since thats where the noise seems to be coming from. The three bolts for the end link and strut were tight and the other bolt was as well, drawing a blank on the name but close to the wheel. I didnt have any triple square tools so I ordered some for the sway bar since my friend suggested it might be that. The parts come today but was curious if anyone had a similar experience? Rookie mistake of me not checking the bolts after them being under load when i first drove it around the neighborhood before heading home.

Which rear swaybar?
Did you tighten the lower bolts of the rear dampers
with the car still jacked up or down on the wheels?

matzi24

Passed Driver's Ed
I checked the bolts that attach the dampers to the control arm, the control arm to the spindle, and the sway bar end link to the control arm, those were tight under load. I have to recheck the bolts from the sway bar end link to the sway bar, and the bolts from the sway bar to the chassis. I'm thinking thats where my issue is. Just dont have the tools until today.