GOLFMKV

IE Intake for $287 shipped - last day today

Status
Not open for further replies.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Would you get any kind of SAI fault for this not having it?

I'm sure you don't have the answer to this question... Simply typing my thoughts lol

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Car(s)
2015 Golf R (TUNED)
Those look like they would draw hot air in from the engine compartment.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Would you get any kind of SAI fault for this not having it?

I'm sure you don't have the answer to this question... Simply typing my thoughts lol

No faults, the SAI just needs filtered air so it doesn't foul up the lines and pump. However, with the "open" SAI mini cone filter, the SAI will be a tad louder upon startup when it runs.

schwab0

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW
I'm not affiliated with the shop, ... also if you use "SPRING5" for the coupon, you get another 5% off.

I have the same intake, bought it used for more than this ... anyway, I'll take a video showing off the "whoosh" sounds this weekend.

schwab0

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
But..it's still a waste of money because it's an intake.

Agreed, money is best spent elsewhere unless you are building a show car or want to hear the woosh sound, with the potential sacrifice of higher IAT's when the car is stopped. I would like to see some IAT data for the "open but sealed" intakes to see how they do vs stock in stop and go traffic, cruising etc.

schwab0

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW
waste or not, I pointed you guys to a cheaper alternative. I have the intake and the throttle response has improved significantly even with the DSG ;)

Apparently, sale is good until the 16th now ... cheers!

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
waste or not, I pointed you guys to a cheaper alternative. I have the intake and the throttle response has improved significantly even with the DSG ;)

Apparently, sale is good until the 16th now ... cheers!

No worries, it is appreciated! I actually like the looks of this one. I was just looking at your vids to see if the intake was there, but it looks like you have had several intakes before this. What has been your experience and why do you keep changing?

I have tried two "open", but unsealed intakes. One custom and one by a popular manufacturer that I won't mention. I eventually reverted back to stock with K&N and the snow catcher removed. I felt throttle response was improved a bit with both intakes, but power delivery wasn't as smooth during normal acceleration (this was on my JB 1.8t mind you). It felt that the long column of air that the stock unit feeds into the turbo really made it smooth. My IAT's did increase a bit faster after the car was warm and I was sitting at stop lights. Maybe the "sealed" open intakes would fair better with this.

I love how some of these intakes look and sound, but still not sold on performance. I'm convinced that you have to be stage 2 or higher to yield close to the 10HP benefit that most advertise. Most dynos I see for intake vendors are on tuned cars. That doesn't make them useless for everyone, just not cost effective for most, especially for cars in stock form. I see many folks that don't want to tune their stock car, but they think an intake will yield them that same 10 HP. This is misleading. In their mind, they can add up what the vendors are advertising...add intake (10HP), add inlet pipe (10HP), add turbo delete (5HP)...and this will magically yield them 25 HP. Add a catback and they are now +35 HP?! Not gonna happen for stock cars. Truth is that you would have to have a 350+ WHP car to truly benefit from the maximum gains that all the components would provide. The power curve (gained HP) will exponential for each component as the limiting factor is finally met. That means cars on the low end (stock) may only get 1-2 HP if they are lucky for some of these components. They might benefit from optimized flow at some points in the powerband, but since the flow is not limited yet, they won't see much benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.