GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Drilling through pedals?

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Has anyone here changed their pedals? I'm looking to install a set of aftermarket pedals and wanted to make sure that it's okay to drill through the pedal backing.

http://imgur.com/a/CBRju

There isn't really any room to drill and mount through the sides so I figured I'd just drill through the thick pedal backing if it wouldn't cause any issues.

(The brake and throttle pedal covers were a pain in the ass to remove lol)

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
I removed the stock pedal covers and installed Awe Tuning covers. The only difficult pedal to drill thru is the brake pedal because it is metal; the others are plastic. I used a right-angle drill because I couldn't get a straight drill at 90 deg to the pedal. I also offset the gas pedal, moving it closer to the brake to facilitate heel-and-toe.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Yep, agreed. The stock pedal covers are really slippery if your shoes are wet. The pedal placement also doesn't make it any easier to heel/toe.

I removed the stock pedal covers and installed Awe Tuning covers. The only difficult pedal to drill thru is the brake pedal because it is metal; the others are plastic. I used a right-angle drill because I couldn't get a straight drill at 90 deg to the pedal. I also offset the gas pedal, moving it closer to the brake to facilitate heel-and-toe.

Thanks for this! I'll try and drill through the pedal backing, they're quite thick but as you said, they are plastic. Hopefully my drill can punch through the metal brake pedal.

Do you have any pictures of what your pedals look like?

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
[/URL][/IMG]

Ok, I'm embarrassed by the dirt! As I mentioned, I offset the gas pedal cover to move it closer to the brake pedal. You can see a bit of the OEM gas pedal sticking out beyond the Awe pedal cover on the bottom right corner.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Looks good! I'll be installing my SRP set hopefully this weekend. Mine's super dirty as well lol.

Ok, I'm embarrassed by the dirt! As I mentioned, I offset the gas pedal cover to move it closer to the brake pedal. You can see a bit of the OEM gas pedal sticking out beyond the Awe pedal cover on the bottom right corner.

2015WhiteGTI

Go Kart Champion
I drilled through my BMW pedals to install aftermarket covers and like others have said, the brake pedal is the hardest since it's metal and the others are plastic.

I marked the placement of the holds and then used a drift pin and hammer to put a mark in the pedal where I wanted to drill. This helped the drill bit from "walking" when I started drilling. I pushed the pedal down to the floor by wedging a 2x4 between it and the under side of the dash. It held in place nicely and game me enough room to put good pressure straight down on the drill. Once the drill took a bite, it went through with ease.

Mbarton36

Ready to race!
I cant find new pedals anywhere. I hate the stock ones. So damn slippery all the time. I use grip tape on them right now

Thought I was the only one with slippery pedals! I thought it was because of the monster mats (rubber) not absorbing any wetness from my shoes but if the pedals get water on them they are super slippery! Will look into AM pedal covers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Mine's from SRP Racing. I've gotten the throttle pedal installed and it's working great. There should be a picture in my build thread (I'll edit this later for the picture as I'm in mobile)

As for the brake/clutch, I'm working with SRP on a smaller set with optimal drill hole locations due to the OEM cover mounting holes. The one that was sent to me didn't fit well (it was a tad too big/long)

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
[/URL][/IMG]

What did you use to drill through? none of my bits are making a dent in the brake pedal. The gas pedal I realized ery late that its ruber so the holes just went righ in but its not a snug fit.

:(

scrapin240

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf
Mine's from SRP Racing. I've gotten the throttle pedal installed and it's working great. There should be a picture in my build thread (I'll edit this later for the picture as I'm in mobile)

As for the brake/clutch, I'm working with SRP on a smaller set with optimal drill hole locations due to the OEM cover mounting holes. The one that was sent to me didn't fit well (it was a tad too big/long)

I just received my pedals from SRP and have not installed them yet, or even looked at my car since it's in a freezer right now. Do you remove the pedal covers first or attach over them?

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
I removed the pedal covers, it was a pain in the ass to remove lol. Not sure if they changed the supplied screws/nuts/bolts but you might need longer ones for the throttle pedal due to the plastic backing. Had to stop by a hardware store to find ones that'll fit into the drilled pedal backing.

So far only the throttle pedal has been installed, I'm still waiting on the new versions for brake/clutch.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Rennline has some nice pedals, you can get a spacer for the gas pedal to make it more even with the brake for better heel/toe

I initially wanted that until I saw the price. $45 just for the 'extension', which only works if you have their $95 gas pedal already. You still have to drill through the pedal as well.

SRP you can custom order pedals and even their design if you let them know, and at a reasonable price.

Not trying to knock Rennline, it's a quality looking product. I just can't get over the cost.

:/