GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket windshield?

asecondfaster

Ready to race!
I got quoted from Safelite Auto Glass, and Lizard Auto Glass, both cost me $900 include installation to replace my cracked windshield, and they said there is no aftermarket windshield, is that truth?

My insurance is $1k deductible, so there's no way they will cover my windshield.

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
I got quoted from Safelite Auto Glass, and Lizard Auto Glass, both cost me $900 include installation to replace my cracked windshield, and they said there is no aftermarket windshield, is that truth?

My insurance is $1k deductible, so there's no way they will cover my windshield.
Did you check with your insurance to make sure that your glass is a non deductible repair, normally glass will not require a deductible with some insurance companies

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
I replaced my windshield with aftermarket glass for $350. I was told OEM glass was around $600 installed.

Great, now has your noise level gone up inside the cabin at highway speeds?
The reason I ask is because I had a windshield replacement on an Audi and I was told by Both safe Lite and the insurance company (Chubb) that if I installed an aftermarket the glass was going to be thinner therefore more wind/ road noise either way glass is covered with no deductible but I told them that I didn't want an aftermarket

Sent from the Moon using Tapatalk

shz702

Ready to race!
Great, now has your noise level gone up inside the cabin at highway speeds?
The reason I ask is because I had a windshield replacement on an Audi and I was told by Both safe Lite and the insurance company (Chubb) that if I installed an aftermarket the glass was going to be thinner therefore more wind/ road noise either way glass is covered with no deductible but I told them that I didn't want an aftermarket

I can't say I noticed anything significant with road noise specifically related to the aftermarket glass. I can't see it being that much thinner than oem. My last 3 VW's have all had issues with chips and cracks in the windshields. Seems like any rock bigger than a grain of sand is enough to damage the glass. That's why I didn't bother getting oem glass this time around. There's no way aftermarket could be any worse IMO.

This time it was courtesy of a big rig on the freeway kicking up a rock the size of a baseball at me. :/

BxGTI

Go Kart Champion
Wow that looks almost like mine :) as far as getting windshield damage goes las 5 or 6 cars had windshield replacement since to 2006 up until this spring I'm guessing my GTI is next :-(

ApexRex

Passed Driver's Ed
I bought my car last June and had to have the windshield replaced in August. I called 3 of the highest rated glass shops in town and all three said there was no aftermarket glass yet because the car was still too new (which I had a hard time believing, but all three said the same thing) so your safelite rep wasn't wrong, probably just not up to date.

I can't imagine that a year later there still is no aftermarket glass though. I'd keep looking.

I ended up getting a discount on OEM glass and with installation I paid $788 total.

wordsthatiwrote

Ready to race!
Guys.

Listen Up.

Call around to a large amount of windshield repair places.

Write down the name and quotes for each.

Take the two lowest quotes you get.

Wait a day.

Then call back.

Shop A $310

Shop B $300

Call Shop A and state that Shop B quoted you $250 for replacement and you just wanted to see if they might be able to do any better than Shop B

They certainly want your business and will make you a reasonable offer.

Just dont low ball the shit too hard They are trying to make money and that needs to be understood.

When Shop A gives you an offer tell them you will consider it.

Call Shop B and tell them the offer Shop A gave you and see if they can beat it.

Winshield with rain sensor is about $200 for them and they want to make some money.

I ended up getting a quote for $270 and I booked the appointment right there.

the worst thing that could happen is no one budges and you take the lowest offer.

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Guys.

Listen Up.

Call around to a large amount of windshield repair places.

Write down the name and quotes for each.

Take the two lowest quotes you get.

Wait a day.

Then call back.

Shop A $310

Shop B $300

Call Shop A and state that Shop B quoted you $250 for replacement and you just wanted to see if they might be able to do any better than Shop B

They certainly want your business and will make you a reasonable offer.

Just dont low ball the shit too hard They are trying to make money and that needs to be understood.

When Shop A gives you an offer tell them you will consider it.

Call Shop B and tell them the offer Shop A gave you and see if they can beat it.

Winshield with rain sensor is about $200 for them and they want to make some money.

I ended up getting a quote for $270 and I booked the appointment right there.

the worst thing that could happen is no one budges and you take the lowest offer.

GOOD LUCK!

Or just do what I did; call your insurance company and get it replaced for free.

jhileman79

Ready to race!
I just had my glass replaced. OEM glass is always going to be more expensive than aftermarket glass. Also having a rain sensor cost more than not having a rain sensor. I am a fleet manager for a Rental Car company so Safelite is in my lot 7 days a week doing glass repairs or replacements. Also why have a high comprehensive deductible. It is not very expensive and doesn't effect your rates like a collision claim. $0 deductible for me and my glass with install was $1064.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
I just had my glass replaced. OEM glass is always going to be more expensive than aftermarket glass. Also having a rain sensor cost more than not having a rain sensor. I am a fleet manager for a Rental Car company so Safelite is in my lot 7 days a week doing glass repairs or replacements. Also why have a high comprehensive deductible. It is not very expensive and doesn't effect your rates like a collision claim. $0 deductible for me and my glass with install was $1064.

I don't know what kind of glass you got but my windshield was under 400 installed. 1064 seem a bit high. Granted I went after maket because of the acoustic sound reducing. but my oem quote was around 600. I had bad experience with my oem windshield so I wanted to see if the aftermarket was better. Glass is clear and no waves.

jhileman79

Ready to race!
I don't know what kind of glass you got but my windshield was under 400 installed. 1064 seem a bit high. Granted I went after maket because of the acoustic sound reducing. but my oem quote was around 600. I had bad experience with my oem windshield so I wanted to see if the aftermarket was better. Glass is clear and no waves.

That was the price after labor and fees. I'm sure I could have gotten it cheaper but that is what they charged State Farm.

shz702

Ready to race!
Fwiw since having the aftermarket glass installed I've had several rocks hit my windshield while driving that would FOR SURE chip the oem glass and so far nothing on the new one yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk