GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Oil pressure warning

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
While I was idling at a traffic light earlier, the oil pressure warning appeared on the cluster. Pulled over in a safe place, checked the oil level, and it's fine. Started the car again, warning us gone, MIB says all systems normal. Warning reappears a little later, then vanishes again. It seems almost impossible that the oil pump should fail at 1100 miles, so might it be a faulty oil pressure sensor? Screen cap of the fault code via OBDeleven (with the words oil pressure switch accidentally cut off):

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Genegenie

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
VW Golf
- 12month old + 1100 miles = dealer, you prob already know it, get them to sort it. You'll be sorry if you don't and stuff goes badly wrong, hopefully just an 'iffy' sensor....

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
While I was idling at a traffic light earlier, the oil pressure warning appeared on the cluster. Pulled over in a safe place, checked the oil level, and it's fine. Started the car again, warning us gone, MIB says all systems normal. Warning reappears a little later, then vanishes again. It seems almost impossible that the oil pump should fail at 1100 miles, so might it be a faulty oil pressure sensor? Screen cap of the fault code via OBDeleven (with the words oil pressure switch accidentally cut off):

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I've had this happen 3 times. The first time I got 2 of them - "Reduced Oil Pressure Switch Malfunction" with the same code (P164D00) and "Oil Pressure Switch 3 implausible signal during engine operation" (P164C00). It preceded a warranty replacement engine & turbo (the switch was not the cause).

The other 2 times it was shortly after the new engine. Both times it was "Oil Pressure Switch Malfunction" (P164B00) accompanied by "Engine speed maximum 4000 rpm." on the MFD & MIB. And both times it was faulty sensor replaced under warranty.

Dealer is your best bet since you are still under warranty (assuming you didn't tune). Good luck.

thadtrain

I had the same problem with my car. I had a faulty oil pressure sensor, which is probably what's up with your car. Factory was a pain to deal with because they have all their checks they're going to do and everything before finally granting warranty work.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I've had this happen 3 times. The first time I got 2 of them - "Reduced Oil Pressure Switch Malfunction" with the same code (P164D00) and "Oil Pressure Switch 3 implausible signal during engine operation" (P164C00). It preceded a warranty replacement engine & turbo (the switch was not the cause).

That was the exact wording of the fault code. I didn't get the second one, but if that's what preceded a warranty replacement engine and turbo, I'm curious to know which part failed on your engine. I've been in/around the car business my entire life, and oil pump failures are practically unheard of these days, much less on a brand-new engine.

In any case, I'm going to see the dealer tomorrow, since I've got a 500 mile round-trip coming up, and I'd like to avoid being stranded in Middle-of-Nowhere, Canada.

dunkelweizen

Go Kart Newbie
That was the exact wording of the fault code. I didn't get the second one, but if that's what preceded a warranty replacement engine and turbo, I'm curious to know which part failed on your engine. I've been in/around the car business my entire life, and oil pump failures are practically unheard of these days, much less on a brand-new engine.

In any case, I'm going to see the dealer tomorrow, since I've got a 500 mile round-trip coming up, and I'd like to avoid being stranded in Middle-of-Nowhere, Canada.

I had a failed crankshaft thrust bearing. Was having clutch problems when I got those error messages. They eventually found a thrust bearing in my oil pan along with a bucket full of metal flakes. Once that thrust bearing came off, the crankshaft was allowed to move back and forth inside the engine and ground the hell out of it. I think it was the metal flakes that damaged the oil pressure switch the first time in my case.

I also had a bad release bearing in my clutch and bad flywheel. It would have been interesting if there was a way to tell whether it was the bad clutch release bearing that caused the thrust bearing to fail or the other way around... (and before anyone says it - no, I never ride my clutch, not even a little bit).

Of the 2 subsequent times for the Oil Pressure Switch error, the first was a bad connector on the switch that they just fixed. The next time it was the sensor itself failed and got replaced.

It is possible that your error message is a symptom of another problem like my 1st one, but it is much more likely that it is just a failed sensor.

Again, good luck. Middle-of-nowhere Canada is not so fun a place to be stuck in the middle of winter.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Sounds like the OP sensor. Or the connector. I had a similar message for a wheel speed sensor. They couldn't be sure it was the sensor or the connector shell so they replaced both.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
It is possible that your error message is a symptom of another problem like my 1st one, but it is much more likely that it is just a failed sensor.

Again, good luck. Middle-of-nowhere Canada is not so fun a place to be stuck in the middle of winter.

Sounds like the OP sensor. Or the connector. I had a similar message for a wheel speed sensor. They couldn't be sure it was the sensor or the connector shell so they replaced both.

Given the odds of something besides a sensor failing, I'm willing to bet that's what it is, but I'll know for sure once the dealer has a look at it.

I may have been exaggerating the other bit since Southern Ontario is the most densely populated part of Canada and the 401 is pretty well-trafficked, but man, there are some desolate stretches between Windsor and Toronto, even with the GTA's sprawl now approaching the outskirts of London.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Update: Dealer looked at it today, consulted with VW techline, determined it was a faulty oil pressure sensor, and replaced it. I'm happy with their service, but I'm still considering sending VW consumer affairs a letter to see if they'll give me a complimentary warranty extension. As the service advisor said, it's extremely uncommon to see such a failure at only 1100 miles.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Its a sensor, why do you need an extension to the warranty? They make thousands of these sensors a day, one is bound to fail.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Its a sensor, why do you need an extension to the warranty? They make thousands of these sensors a day, one is bound to fail.

Because I've owned the car just shy of 2 months and it had only 1100 miles on it when the sensor failed, both of which are too early in my opinion. Furthermore, with all the talk of the greatly improved VW quality, it seems a bit ridiculous that I should be bringing it in for unscheduled service so soon.

I've spent a lifetime in and around the world of automotive service, and I've seen larger requests granted for smaller reasons than this. If you don't ask, you don't get.

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
Because I've owned the car just shy of 2 months and it had only 1100 miles on it when the sensor failed, both of which are too early in my opinion. Furthermore, with all the talk of the greatly improved VW quality, it seems a bit ridiculous that I should be bringing it in for unscheduled service so soon.

I've spent a lifetime in and around the world of automotive service, and I've seen larger requests granted for smaller reasons than this. If you don't ask, you don't get.

I see your point, but that is why a warranty period exists. You can definitely try, but I think its a little unnecessary. However, opinions are like a$$holes, no one likes them and they all stink. :D

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I see your point, but that is why a warranty period exists.

Quite right, and since they're offering twice the warranty coverage on the 2018 model, which is mechanically identical to the 2017, I see no reason why they shouldn't cover mine for the same period. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.