GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dash Cam Recommendations

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
Sorry if this has been exhausted at this point, but I am looking to equip my 2 mk7s with dashcams.

IIRC I have seen posts about this one on social media, and it is on sale again. Does anyone have an experience with it, or recommendations for others?

TIA!

Navi

Autocross Champion
I’d recommend garmin dash cam 45 or 55. I have both. 55 in the front and 45 in the rear. Both are hard wired with the “parking” cable. The have time stamps on all video which also include longitude/latitude and mph. They have worked flawlessly for me. The extra features they have are cool too such as traffic camera locations, lane departure and forward collision warning.

Chymerix

I got one of the Anker Roavs a couple of months ago when it was also on sale but ended up returning it. Seemed like a well built dashcam, video quality was pretty good and really liked the WiFi downloading for videos (even though it was a little slow) but I got an email from Anker saying there was a recall for my dashcam that involved the battery expanding and causing the screen to separate. Ended up returning to amazon that day and ordered a Viofo A119s which has a capacitor instead of li-ion battery. I’ve been pretty happy with it in the weeks I’ve had it installed and the video quality seems much better than the Anker.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
I’d recommend garmin dash cam 45 or 55. I have both. 55 in the front and 45 in the rear. Both are hard wired with the “parking” cable. The have time stamps on all video which also include longitude/latitude and mph. They have worked flawlessly for me. The extra features they have are cool too such as traffic camera locations, lane departure and forward collision warning.

Had the 55 the day they were released and sent two 55's back as they failed within a week of each other and shut down in parking mode through overheating. Wanted so much to like it but such a disappointment. Hopefully the newer ones have been sorted.

Got the Thinkware F770 now and much better than the Garmin IMO and does everything the Garmin goes plus voice warnings instead of a beep for cameras.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Had the 55 the day they were released and sent two 55's back as they failed within a week of each other and shut down in parking mode through overheating. Wanted so much to like it but such a disappointment. Hopefully the newer ones have been sorted.

Got the Thinkware F770 now and much better than the Garmin IMO and does everything the Garmin goes plus voice warnings instead of a beep for cameras.

Did you update them? There was a software update specifically for that issue. I've been running them since release day without a single issue.

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
I got one of the Anker Roavs a couple of months ago when it was also on sale but ended up returning it. Seemed like a well built dashcam, video quality was pretty good and really liked the WiFi downloading for videos (even though it was a little slow) but I got an email from Anker saying there was a recall for my dashcam that involved the battery expanding and causing the screen to separate. Ended up returning to amazon that day and ordered a Viofo A119s which has a capacitor instead of li-ion battery. I’ve been pretty happy with it in the weeks I’ve had it installed and the video quality seems much better than the Anker.

Thanks for sharing this important bit. I will X them off the list then.

The VIOFO A119 looks to be comparable to the ROAV in terms of style and placement in the window. I'm not fond of the ones with suction cups.

Have you pulled video and zoomed in yet to see how far it can go before pixelating?

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Ordered a month before it was released as it specs looked good plus the magnetic mount is a great idea. Updated as soon as it arrived, a week after release the thermal shut-down update rolled out and was applied but kept shutting down when over 30c in car. Spoke to Garmin direct and they sent a new one out and return the faulty one.

That was updated put in the car and straight away after checking footage it would stop recording even though the recording light was on. So it went back as well, not happy as I had purchased and fitted the hardwire cable for it.:mad:

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I have a Cobra CDR 895D, which I used in my previous car for several months with no issues. I'm not sure if I would have chosen it, but I had a gift card from Best Buy, and it was on sale. The rear-facing camera is a nice feature, whether it's pointed out of the rear window or monitoring the cabin. However, don't bother turning on the lane-departure warning, unless you enjoy listening to the thing beep whenever your car changes direction.

Squishy

Ready to race!
I bought a chinese cam called the Mini 0801 back in 2013 and it still works fine today. I chose it because of the very small form factor, when people get into my car they don't even notice it until I point it out. The video quality is decent, even at night.

Here is some info on it: https://dashcamtalk.com/mini-0801/

There are newer version of this camera (Mini 0903, Mini 0826) and they sell for about $100 on Amazon/Ebay.

Navi

Autocross Champion
Ordered a month before it was released as it specs looked good plus the magnetic mount is a great idea. Updated as soon as it arrived, a week after release the thermal shut-down update rolled out and was applied but kept shutting down when over 30c in car. Spoke to Garmin direct and they sent a new one out and return the faulty one.

That was updated put in the car and straight away after checking footage it would stop recording even though the recording light was on. So it went back as well, not happy as I had purchased and fitted the hardwire cable for it.:mad:

that's weird... I haven't had any issue since updating them? I have two in my car and neither shut down over the summer.

-Dutch-

Drag Race Newbie
I know there was initially a battery issue with the Roav but I'm been running mine for a while now, no complaints. Easy to hide behind the mirror, I don't see it from the driver's seat. Good video quality.

slow12s

Ready to race!
I'm very happy with my a119, would definitely recommend one