GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

First oil change mileage?

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Hmm interesting. I don't know why you got the oil change notification earlier than expected (that is, before 1yr/15,000km)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

zero10

Ready to race!
I am hoping my obdeleven shows up soon. Looks like I can check what the range gets reset to. Manual definitely says first change is at 15,000km so I'll be changing the interval to match if it is not already set that way. Since I was getting a countdown in km I assumed it was range not dates :(

zero10

Ready to race!
I managed to find somebody local to me with an obdeleven and we did some checking on my car and found the following (the car had 9327km at the time of the scan):
Dashboard -> Adaptation -> Fix: Distance covered since last mileage-dependent inspection: 9300km
Dashboard -> Adaptation -> Fix: Time since last time-dependent inspection: 302d
Dashboard -> Adaptation -> Fix: Reset value for next mileage-dependent inspection: 30000km
Dashboard -> Adaptation -> Fix: Reset value for next mileage-dependent inspections: 365d

So all of these seem to conspire to say that I should NOT be receiving a maintenance indicator on the dash but yet I was. The guy who was operating the obdeleven device did find one category under Dashboard (though he did not show me which one) which indicated 10000km and he upped it to 15000km, but now when I start the car it says it needs service in 5700km instead of 700km. I would have expected the reminder would be cleared until it got much closer to being due.
I read the manual again and it most definitely states clearly that the first service is not due until 15,000km or 1 year from the in-service date (August 16, 2017 in my case). The build date shouldn't even factor into this. Seems like some things did not get set properly before I picked up the car.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
Unfortunately you lose that bet ;)

This is my commuter car, 65km each way 80% highway 20% city. There are no short trips here, the car gets warmed up completely every trip and lives in a nice warm garage at home so it doesn't even really see cold starts.

Is everybody seeing the first oil change indicator fire way before 15,000km? Is there any consistency on when it is triggered?
Given it is at 10,012km it almost feels like at 12km some dealership reset the change interval to 10,000km - is that even something they could/would do?
I did not realize that V-Dub's system was so basic. Good to know. I assumed -- wrongly -- that the service indicator monitored a host of operating circumstances. Honda's does, for example. (This clip is sort of infantile, but it explains how Honda's "maintenance minder" works.) Clearly it's much more comprehensive than just 1 year or 15K. http://www.wildehonda.com/honda-maintenance-minder-system.htm

zero10

Ready to race!
I've read the european market cars get a more complicated oil life monitoring system and have for some time (I remember reading about this back when I got my mk4) but apparently us over on this side of the pond can't be trusted... or something.

Anyways, just to be safe I called the 2 dealerships closest to me.

Dealership 1 said, that because we are in a severe service area the oil must be changed every 8000km or 6 months and no longer. He repeated that it is dangerous to go any further. I asked him why my reminder was triggered for 10k and he said that the people at the factory must have made that change but that from here on out it's every 8000km for sure.

Dealership 2 said that it's 15000km or 1 year, but if I do a lot of short trips they would recommend I change it sooner. I confirmed that all my trips are 50km+ in length and they said go ahead and ignore the warning and change at 15000km or if it annoys me I can bring it by and they'll reset the warning for me.

In my past experience the first dealership has repeatedly acted in a way I don't like, they are far too eager to upsell unnecessary services and watching how they treat other people while I wait in line makes it feel like they are trying to scare or bully people into taking these unnecessary upsells. Although I have only visited the second dealership about 4 times over the past 12 years I have never once observed them being anything but honest and fair. They have never done anything I would consider fear-mongering, bullying or even unpleasantly surprising, hell, they have even done a couple things for free that I wouldn't have expected.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
I've read the european market cars get a more complicated oil life monitoring system and have for some time (I remember reading about this back when I got my mk4) but apparently us over on this side of the pond can't be trusted... or something.

Anyways, just to be safe I called the 2 dealerships closest to me.

Dealership 1 said, that because we are in a severe service area the oil must be changed every 8000km or 6 months and no longer. He repeated that it is dangerous to go any further. I asked him why my reminder was triggered for 10k and he said that the people at the factory must have made that change but that from here on out it's every 8000km for sure.

Dealership 2 said that it's 15000km or 1 year, but if I do a lot of short trips they would recommend I change it sooner. I confirmed that all my trips are 50km+ in length and they said go ahead and ignore the warning and change at 15000km or if it annoys me I can bring it by and they'll reset the warning for me.

In my past experience the first dealership has repeatedly acted in a way I don't like, they are far too eager to upsell unnecessary services and watching how they treat other people while I wait in line makes it feel like they are trying to scare or bully people into taking these unnecessary upsells. Although I have only visited the second dealership about 4 times over the past 12 years I have never once observed them being anything but honest and fair. They have never done anything I would consider fear-mongering, bullying or even unpleasantly surprising, hell, they have even done a couple things for free that I wouldn't have expected.

Dealership 1 sounds scummy, manual says 15,000km/1year. If you're tuned or pushing the car id do it more frequently.

I did my first one at 13,000km and have been doing it every 10,000km afterwards because its easier to remember (ie i just do it every 20k/30k/40k/etc) and then if im busy/late i don't have to worry. I drive a lot so will all be mileage based for me lol.

adam1991

Banned
Besides making one feel better, does anyone have any used oil analysis statistics to show any other, data-driven reason not to go to 10K miles?

zero10

Ready to race!
I'm not tuned, I don't thrash the car but I do make sure it gets a good workout. I'll bring it up to 6000rpm+ at least every day or two, and have 2 stretches where I have my foot on the floor in 5th gear for 20-40 seconds at a time (1-2km uphill stretches) to make sure I blow any residual oil out of the intercooler.

The reason I wanted to do 15000km if allowed is because I intend on doing UOA on the first change (and every subsequent change). I have faith that if VW is putting in the owners manual that the first oil change is at 15000km that the oil will come back perfectly fine at that mileage. I will share the results either way. At my current rate I expect to hit 15000km in late February / early March, and on my next trip back to Calgary (likely April/May) I will drop the sample off at the lab I like and will post the results here as soon as they are available. I have only found one other UOA from the factory fill over on BITOG and it was from an early change. I remember in my mk4 tdi that the manual specified OCI was 16000km but I found through UOA that I was draining samples that were suitable for continued use well out into the 32000-35000km range. I am wondering if this engine will prove to be the same and I'm planning on using the warranty period to do changes on-schedule to build up a history of how this engine likes certain oils (Motul X-Clean 8100 504.00/507.00 is available here so I am going to use that to start) so I can figure out what a reasonable OCI is for me.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Besides making one feel better, does anyone have any used oil analysis statistics to show any other, data-driven reason not to go to 10K miles?

I have data on my tuned car, but not a stock car.

Due to mild fuel dilution causing moderate viscosity loss I have chosen a 5k mile interval.

Everything besides fuel dilution and viscosity looks fine at 5k.

hobbyjumper

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MK7 GTI APR Stage-II
I would personally do the first two oil change myself at 100 miles and 1k miles, and then follow the normal schedule.

The reason I do that is to get the metal shavings out as soon as possile. Also because i've always done this with my motorcycles and new cars. Is it overkill maybe, but it makes me feel better.

The moment i read "get rid of metal shavings" i was like "this guy rides 2 wheels" and lo behold thou does ride :D:D

It is overkill though.

AsymmetricKururin

Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Hey Zero, I have a Golf with the same build date (Feb 2017) with fewer km but also driven in the Canadian climate. My change oil reminder just recently started appearing. I would be really interested in your used oil test results once you have them, so I'll be looking forward to your post some time in the spring.

Last edited:

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
What a crock on Vernon being a severe service area. It is a beautiful area, but not severe. I did my first oil change at pretty close to 10K miles as I too don't like to waste oil. To each there own for those who like to change earlier. Sounds like you are going to get the service indicator reset and change at either 15K km or 1 year, makes sense.

zero10

Ready to race!
I agree Vernon is most definitely not a severe service area and my driving style definitely should not be causing accelerated aging of the oil so on both counts I can't see why I should change the oil early. One of the dealerships agreed with me and said I'm well within the terms of the warranty, and I suppose the other one technically didn't state that I would be violating the warranty by continuing on, he just said I "had" to change it earlier...

I know many will argue I'm being penny wise/pound foolish or some variation of that, and I know I can't please everybody all the time with my actions, not that I seek to do so.

I'll post back once I've got UOA results. So far it looks like the oil change will be the last weekend of February (12,500km today, 650km/week of driving). We are planning our next trip back to Calgary over spring break, not that I can remember when that is right now, but I'll drop the sample off on that trip.

As for the service indicator, my obdeleven finally showed up so I'll be able to reset everything myself. I've got oil and filters ready to go on the shelf and from what I've read the plug, although they recommend replacement, lasts several oil changes.

WhiteTigerSE

Passed Driver's Ed
I would personally do the first two oil change myself at 100 miles and 1k miles, and then follow the normal schedule.

The reason I do that is to get the metal shavings out as soon as possile. Also because i've always done this with my motorcycles and new cars. Is it overkill maybe, but it makes me feel better.

Did an oil change at 750 miles for that exact reason. Also, i don't like Castrol. Liqui Moly is what this car will be fed until i sell it. -- Will do next change at 9,750 with the dealership to have a record that won't void my warranty, and may consider replacing the oil filter around 5,000 miles myself as i do not believe these paper filters will hold up 9-10k miles.