GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The 'Chimera' - Progression of my 1.8T by SKVeeDubR

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
You just made my dream mod come true!
I am hoping to turn my 1.8T to a NA R-Line!
Btw are you gonna change the front bumper to the R version?

Haha yours and mine both! R-Line bumper is still top of my options list for the front end as 1) I can retain my fogs, and 2) would flow well with my R sideskirts.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I’d like to try a mk6R bumper some day... I’ve seen it done in pics... wonder how realistic it is

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
I’d like to try a mk6R bumper some day... I’ve seen it done in pics... wonder how realistic it is

Personally I'm not a fan of mixing generations.. I'm not sure what you're after exactly, but is it a more aggressive front end? Have you considered the replica R400/R420 bumpers designed for the MK7 that are out there? I can only imagine the headache trying to fit a MK6 bumper on a MK7 would be as well..

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Snapped a couple pics on my way home from work last night.. Can't wait to have some professional photos done though!

Last edited:

eurospek

Just finished watching Fast&Fu
Can I ask a personal question? You’re not the first OEM+ Golf I’ve seen and liked, but always wondered why not start with a GTI?

1.8T EA888

Passed Driver's Ed
As a fellow modded Golf owner, frankly it didn't make financial sense at the time, and it still doesn't right now. Comparing insurance, OTD prices and all that, I decided the Golf would be the better value. I'm not gonna lie to you and say the Golf is better than a GTI, it's not, however, the MQB platform allows for a base Golf to turn into a real sleeper on a limited budget. I don't regret my decision at all, hope that makes sense.

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Can I ask a personal question? You’re not the first OEM+ Golf I’ve seen and liked, but always wondered why not start with a GTI?

Great question! Well for starters I already had an R, and the 1.8T was initially supposed to be the DD/Grocery Getter/Workmobile for our family. We initially placed an order on a Comfortline, but the deal fell through so our dealer bumped us up to a Highline at a great deal we could not refuse.

We did actually consider GTIs (I, like many others planted our initial roots in the VW world with a GTI and I was no different, having had a 1979 MK1 GTI in Mars Red as my very first VW), but to be honest, I did not care for the 'whiskers' of the MK7 GTI, in addition to a few other small details such as the wheels etc.. In order to get a loaded GTI with leather, sunroof, lighting package etc we were looking at an easy $10K+ difference, not to mention we got 0% financing on the Golf whereas it was not available for the GTI at that time.

This car was to be a budget car, that ultimately turned into the ultimate OEM+ budget build. I saw the potential of this MQB platform and knew I could make something pretty clean using only OEM parts. I am especially happy about the fact when the Clubsport was announced, as a community we soon discovered it was built on a standard Golf hatch, which really helped drive my vision.

It's an extremely fuel-efficient, and peppy engine which is also a bonus. Drawbacks primarily include the transmission - Eventually I would like to put a 6spd in the car, otherwise so much is extremely readily available and easy to swap. Suspension parts, wheels, interior bits..

I've been fortunate enough to have some amazing friends in the VW world who have basically gifted me many of the parts you see on my car as takeoffs from their own cars. As it sits, I am still well under what I would have been in to an equivalently equipped GTI, yet I have now upgraded parts even over what I would have had initially on said GTI. Things like PP brakes, CSS muffler/diffuser, CS RSB etc. in addition to all the other GTI/R/R-line/Euro bits I've added.

Now if I had set out to make a Clubsport Replica then most definitely I would want to start with a GTI as a platform, but that was/is not my intent. Rather, I am assembling what I feel is an aesthetically pleasing golf, taking aspects I like from each model and making it my own! I feel I can perhaps even improve on the Clubsport styling by going for a bit more of a luxury/sport look and feel..

Cheers!

Last edited:

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
Couldn't have said it better! I wish I had VW friends who could help out with parts :)

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
I echo the above. Deal on golf was too good for our family to pass up. If I really was stuck on getting into the legacy of a gti, I would have had to get a mk6 which I didn’t want to do. I wanted a new car. The reality is, it’s about the pursuit and pleasure of modding than it arriving at “gti level” or “r level” performance. Just gotta enjoy what you’ve got!

Last edited:

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
I echo they above. Deal on golf was too good for our family to pass up. If I really was stuck on getting into the legacy of a gti, I would have had to get a mk6 which I didn’t want to do. The reality is, it’s about the pursuit and pleasure of modding than it arriving at “gti level” or “r level” performance. Just gotta enjoy what you’ve got!

This captures my philosophy - it's the journey. Once I reach my 'destination' I begin to get complacent/bored.

And I have to apologize to people following this thread - between the extreme cold weather/my full-time job/family/part-time work/and being back in 'school' I have had little time/opportunity to tend to the golf. I promise there is more to come this spring!

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
This captures my philosophy - it's the journey. Once I reach my 'destination' I begin to get complacent/bored.

And I have to apologize to people following this thread - between the extreme cold weather/my full-time job/family/part-time work/and being back in 'school' I have had little time/opportunity to tend to the golf. I promise there is more to come this spring!
Where are your priorities? This is unacceptable! [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

NinjaTune

Passed Driver's Ed
Great build and I really love that clubsport spoiler! I'm torn on whether or not I should get it. The golf hatch is so boring, but im not sure how much I'm into that aggressive curve. Still a beautiful spoiler, don't get be wrong.

I really like what you said about your decision on a golf over a GTI. Now I'll add my input: I chose the golf over the GTI simply because the price gap was too much for me to stomach at the time, but I still want my golf to stand out so other owners know I'm part of the club :p. Not to mention the difference in insurance based on the fact that I'm a male in my early 20's. The difference in quotes was astonishing to me. Id be scrapping by to make rent and I think I'd ultimately be regretting the decision.

I truly do wish I had a GTI because I so badly want that sport aspect, but personally it's just not feasible where I'm at currently. All my parts are second hand and budget so I still haven't come close to what a GTI would have cost me. I love my car and I'm very much an enthusiast so I'm going to show it.

I have Euro LED's (mk7) I got for super cheap, sitting at home and Im hesitant to put them on because I care too much about what people think :/ Really petty, but I hate the idea of being a poser.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

HOT H2O

Drag Race Newbie
Great build and I really love that clubsport spoiler! I'm torn on whether or not I should get it. The golf hatch is so boring, but im not sure how much I'm into that aggressive curve. Still a beautiful spoiler, don't get be wrong.

I hear ya, it does look aggressive in many angles, but overall I don't find it too aggressive in any way - EXACTLY what I am after. There are other more subtle options for our golfs, at much more cost-effective prices such as the OEM VW accessories spoiler, or do what I did earlier with the spoiler fins which is subtle yet clean and effective.

I really like what you said about your decision on a golf over a GTI. Now I'll add my input: I chose the golf over the GTI simply because the price gap was too much for me to stomach at the time, but I still want my golf to stand out so other owners know I'm part of the club :p. Not to mention the difference in insurance based on the fact that I'm a male in my early 20's. The difference in quotes was astonishing to me. Id be scrapping by to make rent and I think I'd ultimately be regretting the decision.
Definitely good to consider all aspects - initial cost of entry for us as our second car was also a strong factor as an equivalent GTI in terms of equipment and technology was over $10K more at the time! Fortunately for us here our licensing penalties for age aren't as apparent, but definitely a strong consideration for many.

I truly do wish I had a GTI because I so badly want that sport aspect, but personally it's just not feasible where I'm at currently. All my parts are second hand and budget so I still haven't come close to what a GTI would have cost me. I love my car and I'm very much an enthusiast so I'm going to show it.

Keep moving forward, you can essentially build your car to accomplish much of what a GTI can (unless we are talking big tunes, then that's a different story. Enjoy your car and make it your own! I get more love from the community for this little golf than I do for my R that is sitting in my garage haha!

I have Euro LED's (mk7) I got for super cheap, sitting at home and Im hesitant to put them on because I care too much about what people think :/ Really petty, but I hate the idea of being a poser.

Firstly, don't worry about what anyone thinks (I know easier said than done), but in reality those tails were spec on many golfs in many different regions. They were the original tails designed for the golf, rock 'em!

NinjaTune

Passed Driver's Ed
I checked out the pricing on the spoiler and that basically settled it for me... I do like the OEM sport spoiler, so I'm sure that's what I'll go with.

Unfortunately age seems to be a big factor with a premium car where I live, but oh well! One day it won't be an issue.

Really appreciate the kind words! The past few times I've Europe is what sold me on them, since every golf had them. I've already got it wired, maybe I'll throw them on tonight!

Again, love the build and keep it up!