GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Maintaining Battery While Car is off road

Bakili

Ready to race!
Hey guys

Done quite a bit miles on my diesel golf in past year, so decided to give it a bit rest. Purchased second city petrol car just to do run about in it, so my Golf sat on my drive unused. Now my main concern is battery draining while car not in use, how can I maintaine battery to prevent going flat.
I did start car up today after week not using and it did struggle for bit but fired up anyway.
Starting it up every week and leave to idle on my drive? Is it correct way?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Or trickle/maintenance charger for battery...

Bakili

Ready to race!
I don't have facilities to trickle charge it. Car parked in open air. I just wondering, how long will be enough to leave it idle to charge battery.

Bakili

Ready to race!
Nice one, thank you. Will definitely look into solar powered.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I don't have facilities to trickle charge it. Car parked in open air. I just wondering, how long will be enough to leave it idle to charge battery.

At idle, the alternator will not sufficiently charge the battery, and short trips around town aren't much better. It needs to be driven at highway speeds, especially if it's sitting most of the time.

If a plug-in trickle charger isn't an option, you may have to disconnect the negative terminal, though I don't know if doing so will cause any issues with the control units.

RennWerks

Go Kart Newbie
At idle, the alternator will not sufficiently charge the battery, and short trips around town aren't much better. It needs to be driven at highway speeds, especially if it's sitting most of the time.

If a plug-in trickle charger isn't an option, you may have to disconnect the negative terminal, though I don't know if doing so will cause any issues with the control units.
bakili, I agree with Shane's opinion that your car's alternator will not generate sufficient current to replenish the battery at idle rpm, and short trips will only compound the problem. Also, leaving a car idling for long periods simply isn't a good idea. Next up -- routinely disconnecting the battery -- invites all sorts of electronic mischief. I don't recommend it. Thus, practically speaking, you have two options: Periodic long drives -- 20 miles or more; or better solution for you, recharge the battery periodically.

Since you've ruled out a trickle charger, the next practical option is to hook-up a regular battery charger and monitor the state of charge. These days virtually all battery chargers have some sort of status gauge to accommodate and monitor this very practice. In my experience (over 30 years, including Navy deployments), recharging a battery once a week for about a half hour will do the trick. You can run an extension cord from your house/apt. and you're in business. The harder part is training your wife/GF to do this for you, but that, too, becomes easier with practice. :D I also like the solar option, but I don't have any experience with that.