GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why are some scared to use machines?

armedferret

Ready to race!
What sealant do you like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I got the Meguiar's M20 polymer sealant (i'm about 90% sure of that, would have to check bottle when i get home---it's either that or the M21 which is just the newer version). It was on sale at amazon and again a cheap way to learn application and build confidence.

They're *basically* all the same. Some minor differences here and there, but essentially nothing a beginner like me (or you) would notice. Go with whatever floats yer scrote. :D

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I got the Meguiar's M20 polymer sealant (i'm about 90% sure of that, would have to check bottle when i get home---it's either that or the M21 which is just the newer version). It was on sale at amazon and again a cheap way to learn application and build confidence.

They're *basically* all the same. Some minor differences here and there, but essentially nothing a beginner like me (or you) would notice. Go with whatever floats yer scrote. :D

The meguiars stuff is awesome also.

M20 vs M21, one of them has a cleaner in it.

Can't recall which is which.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Then you need something with more torque (or you're using way too much pressure).

I actually watched a ton of YT reviews and ended up with the Harbor Freight DA to learn on, as it apparently is held in higher regard (assuming one swaps out the faulty OE backing pad) than the PC or others in the 150-ish price range.

One actually has to spend 3-4x more than the HF to get something noticeably better. Obviously it's not the be-all end-all of DA polishers, far from it. Until I'm ready to get something european, though, I'll run this till it's burned out and get another when that happens. ;)

I found when I use DA and don't press hard enough it won't take off the wax. Then it stops rotating and just makes little circles. I have the cheapest HF direct drive polisher. You do need to hang on tight to it even on the lowest speed. :)

One thing I forgot when I used sealant a couple of weeks ago. Don't apply too much! I used it liberally and it took hours for it to dry enough to remove it.

jmblur

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
I've heard great things about the new Griot's BOSS series of polishes. I'm not doing mine until spring/summer, but I picked up the correcting cream and perfecting cream to try out. I'm hoping I don't need to go back for the Fast correcting cream, since my swirls are pretty minor.

As for sealant, there are a bunch of good ones, just do some research. Ammo Skin, Wolfgang Deep Gloss, and Menzerna Power lock are all highly regarded. Also do some research on coatings - they're more expensive and fussy to apply, but they last 5 years (!) and can actually prevent light surface scratching as they add a hard SiO2 coating to your paint. I have some Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light I plan on using on my car come spring after paint correction.

PouncingPanzer1

Go Kart Champion
It's funny how some old-timey advice just refuses to die, isn't it? If you're using a random-orbital polisher, it's almost impossible to damage your paint.
I actually proved that to a certain extent once. My buddy had a hood panel off of an old Olds or something. I took a Griot's 6" RO with a hexlogic white pad and Sonax profiline perfect finish. I held it in the same spot for about 3 minutes with just the weight of the machine. Nothing. Not a burn to be seen. I was stunned, and from that day forward became much braver when polishing anything. Times have changed.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I've heard great things about the new Griot's BOSS series of polishes. I'm not doing mine until spring/summer, but I picked up the correcting cream and perfecting cream to try out. I'm hoping I don't need to go back for the Fast correcting cream, since my swirls are pretty minor.

As for sealant, there are a bunch of good ones, just do some research. Ammo Skin, Wolfgang Deep Gloss, and Menzerna Power lock are all highly regarded. Also do some research on coatings - they're more expensive and fussy to apply, but they last 5 years (!) and can actually prevent light surface scratching as they add a hard SiO2 coating to your paint. I have some Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light I plan on using on my car come spring after paint correction.

The Griots stuff has a great reputation, haven't used it but I'm sure it'll work well.

Just a general tip for everyone ITT, if you apply sealant too heavy it can be difficult to get off.

A little M34 Final Inspection on a microfiber takes the excess right off