GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

lets discuss downpipes

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Dont mean to thread hijack here but seeing as so many of you guys have IS20 swapped your golf did you just do swap the is20 and DP and keep the stock intercooler, and also was the is20 new or used?

I think we're all pretty bad about jacking threads :p. As mentioned above I have not swapped my downpipe but I have swapped the turbo. You'll see in my IS20 installation guide that I got a used IS20 from the classifieds of this forum and I highly recommend everyone do the same. The going rate for a used IS20 is roughly $400 shipped last time I checked, so far better than the $1300+ for a new one. I think my next engine mod will be an intercooler as heat soak is definitely an issue I am dealing with.

Yeah...IC will be my next mod as well. Will likely go the BMS route, assuming they have something ready over the next 6 months or so. The stock IC is holding up OK for a DD (it is the same as the GTI stock IC), but I really would like to keep those IAT's down on those 80's-90's F days. We don't have many above 90F over a normal year, so we are pretty lucky here. When driving spiritedly, the IC will even help on cooler days.

P.S. sorry about the thread jack OP...hopefully you are enjoying all the 1.8t conversation!

Joviemk7

Ready to race!
I think we're all pretty bad about jacking threads :p. As mentioned above I have not swapped my downpipe but I have swapped the turbo. You'll see in my IS20 installation guide that I got a used IS20 from the classifieds of this forum and I highly recommend everyone do the same. The going rate for a used IS20 is roughly $400 shipped last time I checked, so far better than the $1300+ for a new one. I think my next engine mod will be an intercooler as heat soak is definitely an issue I am dealing with.

Yeah...IC will be my next mod as well. Will likely go the BMS route, assuming they have something ready over the next 6 months or so. The stock IC is holding up OK for a DD (it is the same as the GTI stock IC), but I really would like to keep those IAT's down on those 80's-90's F days. We don't have many above 90F over a normal year, so we are pretty lucky here. When driving spiritedly, the IC will even help on cooler days.

P.S. sorry about the thread jack OP...hopefully you are enjoying all the 1.8t conversation!

Thanks I already have the jb4 on my car but it just doesn't seem like enough for me and I am considering swapping the turbo for that extra power. Id probably end up doing the DP together with it also.

mattkime

Passed Driver's Ed
Any advice on downpipes? Seems like my best bet might be a golf r downpipe but I know it’s not much larger than stock on my Alltrack.

I have no interest in going catless. That might push up the price.

I’m looking for good bang-for-the-buck moreso than getting every single hp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
Any advice on downpipes? Seems like my best bet might be a golf r downpipe but I know it’s not much larger than stock on my Alltrack.

I have no interest in going catless. That might push up the price.

I’m looking for good bang-for-the-buck moreso than getting every single hp.

Best bang for your buck is getting a golf r downpipe and remove the catalytic converter closest to your turbo. However, you will need an adapter to mate it to your midpipe.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
Once I install the JB4, I’ll be on the hunt for a DP. Been looking for a CTS catted option. Didn’t know the R downpipe would fit on our 1.8s... feel like I read that they wouldn’t somewhere. Good to know they do!

I think I should do tires before dropping cash on a downpipe though… :D

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Once I install the JB4, I’ll be on the hunt for a DP. Been looking for a CTS catted option. Didn’t know the R downpipe would fit on our 1.8s... feel like I read that they wouldn’t somewhere. Good to know they do!

I think I should do tires before dropping cash on a downpipe though… :D

It won't, he has an AWD Alltrack with a setup that is more similar to the R.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I had a CTS DP on my GTI, got tired of the added noise factor. Went back to stock, only difference my butt dyno feels is low end torque, with the CTS it spooled faster.

TJN

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 Alltrack S
I'm in the same boat with DP. Just got JB4 earlier this month. Don't want to void the warranty as I have 2017 Wolfsburg so I found a guy locally with stock GTI DP and catback. This way I increase the piping all the way to the tips and no fitment issues and preserve my warranty. And it's cheap.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk