GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Magnetic Oil Drain Plug Thread

Lmike6453

Ready to race!
Haven't found one of these threads yet for our mk7 and saw that the drain plug is different than mk6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKWo6eU9ipM

What magnetic drain plugs are available for oil and transmission? Which is best?

Is it even worth it to get one? On mk6 GTI I always found metal shavings on my Goldplug

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
The plug and pan on the mk7 is plastic. It's not a simple fix to convert to a metal plug with a magnetized end.

You can replace the pan with a steel one, then any number of magnetized drain plugs are available.

Lmike6453

Ready to race!
The plug and pan on the mk7 is plastic. It's not a simple fix to convert to a metal plug with a magnetized end.

You can replace the pan with a steel one, then any number of magnetized drain plugs are available.

What about a plastic plug with a magnetized metal embedded into the inside of it?

csusino84

Passed Driver's Ed
Deutsche Auto Parts is making a magnetic oil drain plug that will be compatible with our oem plastic oil pan. Paul said to expect that in about a month or two.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
Will the plug be plastic?

Hope so as some people are too heavy handed and with a metal one it could be a very expensive mistake. I prefer the plug to be the weakest part.

greggles

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
GTI
What about a plastic plug with a magnetized metal embedded into the inside of it?

Then you have the constant worry about the metal end breaking off in your plastic pan.

Of if its a metal plug used in the plastic pan, stripping the pan. There isn't really a win win here. Keep it simple!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Does a dealer replace the plug with every oil change? I never asked. Or at least replace the gasket or o-ring?

GLoBaLReBeL

Ready to race!
They say to replace the plug at each oil change, but after looking at the plug, I see no reason for this. I would say at the MOST, change it every other change. I've done mine twice, and not changed it with no ill effect.

yirayira

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI SE
As a plastic plug is injection molded, when the mold is made they can design a place for the magnet to mount and be held when the part is injected. This way it will be encased in the plug. Should hold well unless the plug is cracked in half. If that happens I think there will be other issues.

That was my hope as well and I did not expect to get this email yesterday.
Without knowing more, the use of an adhesive does not make me feel more comfortable.
Maybe I'm better off just gluing a magnet to the bottom of the plastic oil pan lol

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I wouldn’t bother, the risk isn’t worth the reward.

That magnetic tip loose in the engine would be a good way to window the block

If you’re worried send an oil sample out for analysis every oil change

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I wouldn’t bother, the risk isn’t worth the reward.

That magnetic tip loose in the engine would be a good way to window the block

If you’re worried send an oil sample out for analysis every oil change

Agree with this.

Use good oil and filters, don't worry about it.