GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Issue with nav on 2017 golf r?

dchuee

Passed Driver's Ed
Rob, I hadn't used it enough before it failed to notice anything new or any changes...I'll be interested to see if it continues to work longer than the 2 days it worked immediately after delivery before failing...fingers crossed

dchuee

Passed Driver's Ed
Should all dealers have this upgrade now? What is your software version?
Houston (VW), we have a problem...it is with much regret I inform you all that the hesitant joy of having a fully working NAV system has given way to the witching hour...for the 2nd straight Sunday I get in my car to the prolonged "Checking Navigation..."...I knew we were back to square one, AGAIN...since I'm not a software/firmware/hardware type, I can't say where the vulnerability is...only know that it has occurred on a Sunday each time (or roughly 2 days after working normally)...not only was the NAV out, but the alarm horn annunciator stop working as well...I was able to restore it by doing a reset to factory conditions and a hard reset of the Discover system...have not tried to re-insert the NAV SD card yet...was on the move and had time to re-pair my phone to get the music files active...will try the NAV later today...but all in all, this NOT a good thing for VW because they know about this (as do the sales people before selling the cars)...I smell diesel smoke!

Last edited:

davidk1175

Ready to race!
My NAV hasn't worked in a month, took it to the dealer they told me I have to wait for new software. If I leave the SD card in the radio my car will search for maps for hours. Remove my SD and it works fine, just no NAV or associated functions. I called the VW customer service hotline and got the same BS story. They currently have no time line for the fix to the software, only thing they said is that it is a known issue and they are working on it.

So awesome they basically sold me a defective product. I have a 2017 Autobahn

dchuee

Passed Driver's Ed
My NAV hasn't worked in a month, took it to the dealer they told me I have to wait for new software. If I leave the SD card in the radio my car will search for maps for hours. Remove my SD and it works fine, just no NAV or associated functions. I called the VW customer service hotline and got the same BS story. They currently have no time line for the fix to the software, only thing they said is that it is a known issue and they are working on it.

So awesome they basically sold me a defective product. I have a 2017 Autobahn
that sounds about right...

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
These new Delphi MIB2 units are pieces of crap. The TechniSat hardware in the '16 cars was basically bulletproof. I dunno if I buy this "software is the problem" claim by VW.

Reminds me of the incredible hassle I had with the factory head unit in my new '85 GTI back in the day. Volume knobs with little detents as you raise/lower the volume were a pretty new thing back then. Mine was defective - as you turned up the volume, it would crackle and the sound would come and go. Took it in for a replacement. Written up properly by the service writer, but car returned to me with "no problem found" excuse, which was super-common back then (if you think VW dealership service is bad now - it's absolutely spectacular compared to then). Went back again, showed the service manager exactly what was happening so that he would witness it and confirm that he saw/heard it. Pick up car, now the excuse was "you were demonstrating it inside, that was the radio station fading in/out causing the problem". Jesus. What idiots. Finally took it elsewhere and it was replaced without hassle by someone with their head positioned on their shoulders rather than up their A$$.

I hope you guys with issues with your '17's get some real resolution soon.

Gadwood74

For those not covered by the warranty, I ordered a used one on ebay (100$) and had it installed/reprogramed at the dealer for another 100$. I had a defective Delphi, my new (used) one is a Technisat.

dchuee

Passed Driver's Ed
I took my car in for the data dump...in addition to the dump, a VW remote tech advised the local tech to try various things (which they do without telling you unless you wonder into the garage which I did) to effect a reset and software mod...needless to say, it didn't work and was told that my unit will have to be replaced (and they are on back order)...meanwhile, I engage a 17 R owner and I asked why THAT car is here...yep, you guessed it...he said, he'll wait til they finish experimenting with fixes on cats like me...felt almost as bad for him, a $44K+ ride...to add insult to injury, when I got home, VWoA sent a letter that said in an effort to respond to customer's suggestions (don't they mean complaints), they have a software upgrade available free of charge until 12-31-2019...I bet it's the same upgrade I received last week that is now in need of an upgrade...other than that, the 17 Alltrack is like that for me!

mookieblaylock

Ready to race!
, VWoA sent a letter that said in an effort to respond to customer's suggestions (don't they mean complaints), they have a software upgrade available free of charge until 12-31-2019.!

I just got that in the mail as well and was kind of psyched, but sounds like better to wait a bit for update 2. I can't even imagine how horrible this could evolve into out of warranty.

McRooster

I traded my 2016 GTI for a 2017 Golf R (needed the AWD). My nav system died on my way home from the dealer (same "searching" problems others reported followed by a hard reboot). A VW factory/corporate technician tried doing the software update and that didn't fix it. I'm now waiting for a new unit as well. Definitely a frustrating experience compared to my completely problem free GTI.

dchuee

Passed Driver's Ed
I got the call today from my service rep to come and get the new unit...will keep everyone posted...I wonder how many others are in the que ahead and behind me