GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Painting side skirts

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
I've seen maybe a handful of MK7s that have attempted this, and I'm interested in doing it myself. The GTI has these ugly gray plastic side skirts, but any aftermarket add ons are WAY overpriced. Instead I'd like to paint match them to the new gloss black lip, and probably do the diffuser as well.

Not sure what it would cost professionally to be done but I'd like to save money on this type of mod. I even thought of doing plasti dip and using a glossifier on top.

Anyone have exp w this? I'll probably just do my own thing but any advice is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jondar

Ready to race!
I was also interested in doing this. What I found was that the diffuser, because it's textured, may look a bit strange. Basically you want light, even strokes. If you cake the paint on in one area, its going run and look terrible. You can use a nozzle like this to help. Spray Can Nozzle

jb99875

Ready to race!
well i just got my plastidip system yesterday i will be be experimenting the next 2 weeks. My wife wants her IPL matte black i'll probably have left over i can do the side skirts just to see what it looks like

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
If you're wanting it to be gloss black, it will likely require some sanding down to remove the texture bits, or use of a sandable primer to fill in that texture. I'm planning to do this in the near future as well.

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
Thanks all for the input! Most helpful.

So it sounds like I should smooth it out some way or another b4 applying gloss paint. Want to see how hard it is to take them off as well. Might not be able to get this done this weekend, if I do I'll return w info/pics.

IBFreeman

Ready to race!
I want to color match mine. The front and rear too.

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
Why don't you just do a Gloss Black vinyl, would seem to be easier.

Good idea man. Might be an obvious question but where would I go/who would I go to for that? Again, trying to do it on the cheap.

IBFreeman

Ready to race!

Hulk1

Go Kart Champion
Bump. I’m looking into starting this project up again. Think I’ll want to go with tornado red on the side skirts. Anyone know a link I can get the right paint? I’ve onky seen touch up paint for sale and that won’t be enough. Would a dealer body shop paint the skirts if I brought them? Wouldn’t take long at all and theyre removable.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
You can find some shops that'll match colors and can it in an aerosol for ya. I recommend seeing if there are auto body supply shops locally. Basically the store where most detailers and body folks get their products from.

fretburnr

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Bump. I’m looking into starting this project up again. Think I’ll want to go with tornado red on the side skirts. Anyone know a link I can get the right paint? I’ve onky seen touch up paint for sale and that won’t be enough. Would a dealer body shop paint the skirts if I brought them? Wouldn’t take long at all and theyre removable.

Paintscratch.com will sell factory color-matched paint in touchup pens, spray cans, or quart/gallon size for a shop spray gun.

I used their spray cans on my old e30 to paint a front lip spoiler, and the match to the factory single-stage red was excellent.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
I was also interested in doing this. What I found was that the diffuser, because it's textured, may look a bit strange. Basically you want light, even strokes. If you cake the paint on in one area, its going run and look terrible. You can use a nozzle like this to help. Spray Can Nozzle

the texture prevents runs, more to grip on. but you are right, it does look weird when it catches the sun in certain angles with the deep gloss. i did 3 coats of black gloss "paint for plastic" and then 2 coats of clear gloss on top. If i did it again i would prob skip the clear, as it put the gloss level over the top.. but... it does offer protection also.

i might re-do the entire project. i'll sand them smooth, and then paint again without the clear.