GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ground Control Coilover + Camber Plates coming...

RedReplicant

Ready to race!
I had a GC setup on my E30 and loved, loved the thing - especially for the price. Emailed GroundControl to see if their '2012+ VW kit' worked on the MK7 and was told it does not. However,
Thank you for contacting us. Unfortunately our MK6 kit isn't compatible with the MK7 chassis. We are currently developing a coilover conversion kit and camber plates. The products should be ready and available for sale at the end of January. Please feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions.
Thanks again,
Donovan

Good news for us soon. :)

RjRacing

Go Kart Champion
Ground Control, wow... I haven't heard that name in at least 10 years from back in my Honda days lol. They used to be good quality product for not much money, basically an H&R spring in an aluminum/SS adjustable housing with Koni shocks. That style of "coilover" has lost its popularity since then, but I would like to see what they come up with as its always been a popular suspension setup for many track day guys that own cars from the 80s-90's.

There are really only three tiers in Coilovers IMO; Fully adjustable race quality units (Ohlins/H&R/Bilstein/KW..etc), Quality fixed or some adjustment in dampening intended as track/street units (basically the brands I mentioned before) and then there is the Chinese/Taiwanese made units that will lower the car, work fine for a little while and offer a certain amount of value... but dampening scales are off (adjustable or not), they tend to leak or fail prematurely and have spring rates that do not match the chassis. These are brands like KSport, Megan, BC and all the other units that are $1,000 or less. Do it right the first time so your car won't bounce around like a ricer Civic and this way they it lasts too. Lots of area's you can save money on when doing a build, Wheel/Tires/Suspension is the only place you never want to cut corners... You really do get what you pay for here. Ground Control systems always sat it the middle tier in the past, I would expect them to here as well :).

turbotrucka

Rig Stig
Car(s)
'15 GT3
Ground Control is just a piece in the puzzle. Sure, if you only take the sleeves and springs and stick them on the car with stock dampers, you're not doing yourself any favors. But make some D/A 2817 Koni inserts in the front struts, an equal quality Koni damper in the rear and choose your GC spring rates carefully, it will destroy any of those OTS kits you listed.

RedReplicant

Ready to race!
Yup... perfect base for building a suspension setup that performs on a budget if you're willing to do the research in terms of spring rates and dampening.

fventura

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a GC setup on my E30 and loved, loved the thing - especially for the price. Emailed GroundControl to see if their '2012+ VW kit' worked on the MK7 and was told it does not. However,

Good news for us soon. :)

I will either buy Ground Control, or MSS kits, they seem similar. Neither is out yet, but about to.
Ground Control uses custom eibach, they have three spring rates for the stock dampers and or Konis. At check out you can choose the btwn the rates, and you have to specify if you have stock or Koni.
Seems pretty neat, and the MSS kit looks similar, and is coming out in February. With the MSS you can pre register for the MK7 product, and you can order with a 30% discount + free shipping.

When I had an E46 M3 I remember Ground Control being the go to solution, very reputable.

fventura

Passed Driver's Ed
Can you tell me where to find the MSS stuff? I'd like to look in to this. Not familiar with the brand.

Their page:

http://msskits.com/

Their page to register for MK7 updates:

http://msskits.com/register

From their email to me:

Hi Fabio,
You will need the Sports version. Streets will be 20% firmer and Sports 40 firmer overall compared to Stock.

These firmness are when the car is under high load thus when accelerating or cornering at full throttle.

I will work out the steady state comparison once we have finished development - the firmness will be softer to stock for a comfortable ride.

Bellow is another one of their emails, with product update: (Their system looks a lot like what Ground Control does, but I am not sure of the exact details and what is different .)

"
Seasons Greetings To You All,

I have been waiting all year to send this email notice out and am pleased the numbers so far who have registered an interest is stronger than anticipated. I thank you each one of you for showing an interest in MSS KITS.

We are nearing the release of a solution for the VW Golf MK7 platform and I am taking this opportunity to give this forum an update and also involve you in some of the design decisions mainly on ride height. Hope this meets with approval as we at MSS KITS tend to like doing things a little different because what we develop is in real terms for you...our customers.

Updates / decision request are as follows...;

- UPDATE #1: The Rear Adjustable Kit for the platform is done and can in fact be released now as it does allow adjustment to the stock ride height;

- UPDATE #2: The front kit is in progress and I can confirm that we are going adjustable also on the front axle - this may be news to some who recently registered.

We have opted for MSS Streets (daily non track users) and MSS Sports (daily and regular track users) versions. We will develop a more track focused kit, if there is a need however what I can see so far indicates that it will not be necessary...however the option is there for those who opt to go more extreme later. The aim of the two kits is to get the car with its stock power to keep up with my Stage 2 TT-RS with MSS 'LS' on streets and on track. That should give you an idea of what the benchmark is...it is a challenge. Separate to that, we also want the ride comfort to be on par with the TT-RS with our Sports Kit fitted, which has gained a reputation of being able to absorb the roughest road bumps effortlessly.

- DECISON #1: Lowering is where we want your feedback on what would be acceptable so advise on the options below and this applies to the MK 7 R stock ride height;
· OPTION A: allow ride height adjustment to be reduced by up to 20mm from stock ride height;

· OPTION B: allow ride height adjustment to be reduced by up to 30mm from stock ride height;

· OPTION C: allow ride height adjustment to be reduced by up to 40mm from stock ride height;

We can produce kit to reduce by any one of the above on the rear and the fronts will be developed to suit what is commonly requested. If you need guidance from me, my personal preference is OPTION B and that is what I will go for on my own 7 R. Once these ride heights are set, it simply means models up to the 7 R will be lowered up to that ride height hence we are settling on the heaviest model in the range - thus the 7 R. Similar design principle was applied to the Audi MK2 TT platform and that worked well.

One thing I noticed on my stock 7 R driving a few days ago on the rougher streets of London was that the front seems to momentarily hit what felt like a bump stop to me. That is not a design fault by the way, just that some car manufacturers use bump stops to help with load bearing. We will probably look in to changing the stock bump stops for a more progressive type and thus even if we design to bring these in to play you will not feel the juddering through the steering wheel as I did on my stock 7 R.

TESTS/TESTERS
Amongst the many testers of this new product will be some critical observers who also have competing, however Coilover, products for the MK7 platform - so we are going out of our way seeking objective feedback on our spring kit solution. We have no concerns however as we will meet all our five traits noted below - based on initial test of the prototypes.
1. Composed and balanced handling on smooth or rough roads in dry or wet tarmac;

2. Enhanced ride comfort on some of the roughest roads London can offer - and there are plenty around;

3. Reduced squat on acceleration and reduced dive on braking;

4. Ride height adjustment;

5. Retain use of the in-car dash mounted active suspension functionality. - thus DCC. These will work just as the factory intended;

There are other traits as a results of the changes, typically improved steering feel; reduced understeer; reduced body lean; planted feel from all 4 wheels however all of these fit in to one of the above MSS KITS traits that we promote. We, in essence, enable the platform to put all that power down on the tarmac so you can use 300BHP as designed/intended by the VW engineers. If you have other chassis modifications on the vehicle or plan to add these then you may find they will compliment and, or, some may not be necessary as a next purchase. Our development car is entirely stock just as delivered from the factory - no changes made to the car nor will we make any whilst the product is being developed.

IN THE BOX
Each kit will come with at minimum the following - and offcourse some surprises which I cannot share here so as to not spoil your opening of the package;
- Front Kit will be made of at least 4 parts;
- Rear Kit will be made of at least 11 parts;
- Packaging is our customary plain box - we made a decision from the outset to spend money on what matters for the car and not so much on packaging that could not be recycled;
- Spare parts will be available at launch;

PRE-ORDER PROMO
On a final note, if you have friends or colleagues who happen to own a MK7 Golf then I would encourage you to advice them to consider registering an interest because I know what Marketing have put on my desk to sign off for release promos...it is pretty aggressive pricing for a unique & bespoke solution which will cost MSS KITS for the proposed number of kits at the proposed price however my view here is that it is the right thing to do.

We obviously would not be able to sustain such release prices for too many kits however as often is said... "early bird catches the worm ;)". I know many of you on this thread are existing customers so it really the very least we could do by giving something back. Have a great rest of the holiday period and I say 2016 would be exciting certainly for us MK7 owners.

GENTLE NOTES/HEADS UP:
1) Once the pre-order promo kits sells out we will unfortunately not be able to repeat the offer so act quickly if there is interest and do so sooner rather than later;
2) We will release the pre-order promo to those who have registered an interest first;
3) Then 24-hours later we will share the promo on all our social media platforms and that of our key partners;
4) The aim is to ensure that those who have registered an interest have an opportunity to purchase an MSS KITS at a significant discount;

Pictures of the 7 R at a recent test session at Goodwood Race Circuit, our local test race circuit is below. Jim (our Development Manager) is on the right and Nick (Pro racer and our test driver) is on the left. I have also included pictures of our MK7 R front and rear ride height - for your reference.

Thanks for reading and we really do appreciate the support...we could not build this brand without your enduring support and am personally humbled. "

RedReplicant

Ready to race!
That is a reasonable option. I kinda want to support GC since they are stateside and have been around forever, but we will see what happens when the kits become available.

fventura

Passed Driver's Ed
That is a reasonable option. I kinda want to support GC since they are stateside and have been around forever, but we will see what happens when the kits become available.

I agree with you.... I may go either way. If both were ready at the same time GC might get my money.

AR11

Ready to race!
Yea I'm going GC as well -- MSS is only offering coilovers, not camber plates (as far as I can tell).

I heard from a rep at GC who said production is under way and we are within weeks. Should see camber plates mid Feb!

TecklenburgVW

Go Kart Champion
For those interested, I found the following when looking into GC's camber plates:

https://groundcontrolstore.com/collections/mk7-coilover-conversion

Spoke with GC today and they indicated the final parts from their machine shop should arrive by the end of the month.

For example, check out their coilover conversion for the Civic Type R that was recently released:

https://groundcontrolstore.com/collections/civic-type-r

GC indicated that there should be a few members on this forum that have tested the kit; however, I haven't found any reviews via the search function.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Cliff3 on vortex has been running them for a while

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...k-7-Camber-Plates-amp-Coilover-Conversion-Kit

I considered waiting for these or getting the IE plates, but I probably would have just left the camber at -2 the vast majority of the time anyway, so I sprung for the 034 fixed plates.

Yes, the camber plates and coilover conversion kit have been on my car for almost 2 years, 19,000 miles (including a couple of 1500+ mile road trips), 22 track days, and 15 or so autocross events. I am very happy with the setup.

cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion
I had ST coilovers on my old FR-S. They were awesome and great quality for the price. Mine were only height adjustable, but had great comfort for a daily drive and the odd TD or autox. $900 CAD If I recall correctly. Stood up to 50,000km and 3 winters before I got the GTI. They had no sign of failing at that point either. Still functioning like day one.