GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Incivility?

IES99

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI S
I'm a member of other forums (some are none car related) as well as this one and while most of this one is helpful, I find more rude responses here than in those others.

A post up above asked a question about auto window operation. Some responses were helpful but several others seemed to take delight in personally attacking the questioner for not using search or reading through the owner's manual first.

Why not just ignore the question if you don't want to answer it rather than the tough guy approach?

I don't understand it.

"If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all"

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
When I started lurking the forums in mid 2016 while car shopping, it was different. What you're talking about has been fairly recent

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

adam1991

Banned
I'm a member of other forums (some are none car related) as well as this one and while most of this one is helpful, I find more rude responses here than in those others.

A post up above asked a question about auto window operation. Some responses were helpful but several others seemed to take delight in personally attacking the questioner for not using search or reading through the owner's manual first.

Why not just ignore the question if you don't want to answer it rather than the tough guy approach?

I don't understand it.

"If you can't say something nice, say nothing at all"

"If you can't say something without demanding that others interrupt their lives to take care of you on something so simple because you're lazy, say nothing at all"

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
Really, there's a thread about people who have a pattern of consistently asking the most mundane questions being told to do some research on their own?

Seriously?

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Really, there's a thread about people who have a pattern of consistently asking the most mundane questions being told to do some research on their own?

Seriously?
To be fair, it goes beyond the threads that ask the same questions over and over again.

Someone started a thread asking about why their older MK7 GTI honks on first lock, while a 2017 loaner honks only on the 2nd lock. The manual does say it honks on first lock, but responses in that thread to "rtfm" doesn't explain why the loaner honks on the 2nd lock.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Based on what I saw on the MKV forums, sites like this have weird cycles.

You have your buyers that buy the car new and need info because it doesn't exist yet.

Then comes the modding portion of people pushing the limits.

Then a car gets so old and is affordable used for younger drivers, so you have a new generation of owners that come on, don't search, and ask the same questions again.

That can get old if your one of the OGs on the forum.

I'm not saying I condone such behaviour, I actually like answering the easy and repeated questions for new owners, but I can see the annoyance factor as well.

And after all that, you have a group of like 20 people that just post in the off-topic section and the rest of the forum is essentially dead (R.I.P. GolfMKV) haha.

adam1991

Banned
Someone started a thread asking about why their older MK7 GTI honks on first lock, while a 2017 loaner honks only on the 2nd lock. The manual does say it honks on first lock, but responses in that thread to "rtfm" doesn't explain why the loaner honks on the 2nd lock.

And that's why people want to seek out others, to try to find out what's going on. Because the behavior is definitely outside the manufacturer's documented specifications.

Another item: oil change frequency. The manufacturer has something to say about it, but some people want to dive deeper into what that means. Others may (or may not!) have more information on that--type of driving, track days, used oil analyses, etc. It's a great way to jump start your knowledge on this kind of thing when the manufacturer remains silent on all of it.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
To be fair, it goes beyond the threads that ask the same questions over and over again.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. I remember that thread.

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
When I started lurking the forums in mid 2016 while car shopping, it was different. What you're talking about has been fairly recent

This is correct. I've noticed the douchebaggery is more recent. I mean, The Fed has always been a little rough around the edges, but that used to be about it.

TheWombat

Go Kart Champion
"If you can't say something without demanding that others interrupt their lives to take care of you on something so simple because you're lazy, say nothing at all"

Thing is, no one is demanding anything. And, after all, you don't have to read the thread in the first place. It takes zero out of anyone's life to read a thread asking a question (even one you think is dumb), and then simply ignoring it and moving on.

Veedubgli

Ready to race!
I don't particularly like the douchebag comments towards other people, even if they are annoying me with dumb questions that could have been saved if they had just searched or checked the manual. I personally just keep scrolling (or maybe help out if I know the answer and I'm bored).

If you think about having an actual face-to-face conversation with people, and someone new to the brand asked a question that could be answered with the manual or has been asked a million times before, I don't see people telling that person to GTFO. I would guess that the person or people would simply engage in conversation and tell them what they are asking....mostly for the sake of simply having a conversation about cars.
But, we are not face-to-face. So maybe that comparison shouldn't be made.

depth_charged

Ready to race!
I have never been on a car forum where people personally attack each other, I think this is just the internet these days. People asking the same questions over and over is par for the course, either answer the question, drop them a link, or move on.

I always thought making new members feel welcome was part of building a community.

Last edited:

Evil Minion

Ready to race!
My take on why people get upset with guys starting threads on topics that were answered numerous times before is it's exactly like spam emails, except there's no way to filter them out.

When I want to catch up on new posts since I was last on, I go to the "New Posts" link and go through them. When over half of new threads or posts are just stupid repeats of old questions, it's just annoying spam that I can't get rid of like I can in an email client for example.

That's why I always get annoyed by people that don't bother to search properly, or just read the manual! Ignorance really needs to stop being an accepted excuse, in general lol

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
There aren't that many nasty people here.

The few that are just happen to be rather active so it's certainly easy to perceive that it's pervasive but that isn't really true.

Last edited: