GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

At this point why not wait for a 2019

FLcarguy

Yes, you are probably right. Just seemed like a valid question and it was my first post in 7 years. I do agree it really is frustrating and strange but its not like people are waiting on delivery of a car they ordered because as we all know the website only allows you to build a 2017 at this point.

adam1991

Banned
When were the 2017s originally available? When did VW first allow you to look at and build 2017s?

That will give some idea. If 2018s are just now hitting the lots, and aren't even on VW's web site, did that mean the 2017s came out in Sept. 2016 and lasted for 16-18 months on the market?

If so, does that mean the 2019s won't hit until June 2019?

Or will 2018 be a "short" model year?

Or maybe they'll just pull a Corvette and just skip MY2019 on the Golf/GTI/R. Maybe MY2018 will be the end of the Mk7, and they'll just wait until MY2020 to bring out the Mk8?

Or maybe this new People's Warranty will have MY2018s flying off the lot, and they'll be ready for 2019s in September.

All conjecture. But look at how the 2017s rolled out. That will give some inkling of how 2018s will roll, and where 2019s might stand.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Reasonable chance there is no 2019 R. They’re already at the longest production run for an R model and there was no mk6R during the 2014 model year waiting on the mk7s to drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loonster

Ready to race!
While most other manufacturers roll their 2018's in the fall of 2017, VW seems to always do quite the opposite. They're still selling 2017's in 2018 and the 2018's have been but a trickle so far. I don't see a full 2018 lineup coming until the spring and full scale perhaps in the summer. All of that having been said, I think if you're looking at a 2019, don't be surprised if you don't get the opportunity to get one until spring of 2020.

As far as models in Europe being already there, we see that from other manufacturers as well. Why does Toyota sell the HiLux truck in every other country but this one? Why didn't the Land Rover become available in the states? Why have Jeeps had diesel engines in other countries for years and still not a single one to be had here? Why did the Civic Type R go on sale in Japan but not here for so long?

It seems that the U.S gets everyone else's table scraps years after they have eaten the main course elsewhere. Just my 2 cents.

njswider

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 Golf R
Reasonable chance there is no 2019 R. They’re already at the longest production run for an R model and there was no mk6R during the 2014 model year waiting on the mk7s to drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I think they will do too considering MK8 is slated for ~2020. OP I would probably just go 2018. The longer you wait the closer you get to MK8 but the first year of a new generation will always have some kind of issue (water pump, turbos etc).

jlivingood

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm guessing there is some kind of significant problem federalizing the cars (getting EPA clearance to import & sell) to explain this delay. Based on the pictures from port, we must be talking a few hundred cars. Heck, maybe even the full 2018 allocation for the U.S. In any case, that must equate to a few million dollars of vehicles sitting on their books from the end of FY2017 into 1Q2018. Their accounting team certainly can't be happy with that and I know the dealers would prefer to have them on lots. Perhaps it's something to do with the new DSG box and fuel economy or emissions certification?

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Because that's assuming the 2019 isn't delayed as well. The 2018 delay will probably have a cascading effect on the 2019 release.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you want to wait for a 2019 when it's almost assuredly going to be identical to the 2018 Mk7.5? The only thing I could think of is the possibility that VW might offer the sport package with bigger brakes and Akrapovic exhausts, if that's what you want and are willing to pay for.

FLcarguy

Good feedback.. I would only consider waiting for a 19 if I could expect delivery in Sept/Oct Also for the obvious reasons, tweaks, new possible paint color options, resale etc. The general consensus suggest that wont be an option hence the reason I posted. Leaning towards an 18.

KlipZ

Ready to race!
Because that's assuming the 2019 isn't delayed as well. The 2018 delay will probably have a cascading effect on the 2019 release.

I see this going one of two ways for us consumers:

1.) 2019's are delayed due to over-abundance of 2018 models. We're annoyed as we live in the age of "I want the newest, best thing now!" (I am guilty of this)

2.) The 2019's are pushed to release at their normally scheduled time and dealers are give incentives from VW to heavily discount the 18's to make room. We are happy, because we get a great deal.

bboytaktix

Ready to race!
Why not just wait until the 18s go on sale and get one at a little under MSRP?

...IF there are any left.

In USA that might be an option. Here in Canada, there were onlu used 2017 models available at the tail end of last year. Many of the dealers here hae ordered R's that are all already spoken for - not too many of these sitting on the lot in Canada (at least in my area of Canada)