GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help: Intermittent crackling/interference noise from headunit.

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC
Hi Folks,

My car has developed an intermittent crackling/interference noise from the headunit/speakers. It generally happens for the first say 4 miles of the journey and then not at all. It doesn't matter if I'm listening to DAB or streaming music via Bluetooth.

I have Discovery Nav Pro and the standard sound system; the car is almost 5 years old.

I’m yet to do a VCDS scan so I’m wondering if anyone has had a similar experience?

Cheers,
Dom

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC
Bump.

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC
Same issue here with the Discovery Nav Pro.
I've got an appointment at the VW dealer next week. I'll share their results once I get their feedback.

How did you get on?

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC
How did you get on?

Sorry Bart, I'm jumping the gun...
I just noticed the date of your post...

I'm currently emailing my dealer as we speak.
I only have 2 months remaining on the Das Welt Auto warranty so I need to get it done. :eek:

superbart

Sorry Bart, I'm jumping the gun...
I just noticed the date of your post...

I'm currently emailing my dealer as we speak.
I only have 2 months remaining on the Das Welt Auto warranty so I need to get it done. :eek:

I just left my car at the dealer so they can investigate.
They think the amplifier is the culprit here, seeing that I also have the intermittent crackling noises when the unit is in "soft off" mode. (with the clock visible)

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC
I just left my car at the dealer so they can investigate.
They think the amplifier is the culprit here, seeing that I also have the intermittent crackling noises when the unit is in "soft off" mode. (with the clock visible)

Oooo interesting. Mine has also done it when on stand-by and the clock is shown.

I dropped mine off at my dealership yesterday and they will be applying a recent firmware update which apparently 'cures' the crackling noises. I find it hard to believe that its firmware related so if that doesn't work they will investigate further.

I was discussing it with a member on VWROC and this is his version of accounts. It coincides with what you've been told!

Hi Dom,

Eventually I lost all sound which was temporarily cured by a firmware update, then three months later the sound went again. Thankfully it was still under warranty so my 5F Module was replaced. I have Obdeleven and it never pulled up any DTCs.

Apparently the issue with the loss of sound is a common failure of hardware which causes the software to put it into on board amplifier into protection mode.

Cheers

Will

superbart

Oooo interesting. Mine has also done it when on stand-by and the clock is shown.

I dropped mine off at my dealership yesterday and they will be applying a recent firmware update which apparently 'cures' the crackling noises. I find it hard to believe that its firmware related so if that doesn't work they will investigate further.

I was discussing it with a member on VWROC and this is his version of accounts. It coincides with what you've been told!

They also did a firmware update on mine claiming that it should fix the crackling issue. I can tell you that it didn't fix anything in my case. :(
I'm trying to make a new appointment but it'll be at least a week before they can fit my car into their schedule.

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC
They also did a firmware update on mine claiming that it should fix the crackling issue. I can tell you that it didn't fix anything in my case. :(
I'm trying to make a new appointment but it'll be at least a week before they can fit my car into their schedule.

I'm booked in on Monday for the Firmware update. When I dropped it off the first time around they claimed they never had the correct version... :rolleyes:
I doubt that will fix it but at least the ball is rolling now.

How are you getting on?

superbart

My appointment is scheduled for the 22nd.
After the "firmware update" my software version is 0200. (Hardware H40)
Unfortunately I didn't check the versions before the update. I'm not sure if this is the version they're talking about though. Might be some hardware firmware which doesn't show up in the menu. I'll keep you updated once I hear something new.

superbart

I just heard back from the dealer. They retried the software update to see if this would fix the issue which it apparently didn't.
After some more troubleshooting they suspect the issue to be in the control unit for the multimedia system. Fixing this would mean a full replacement on the unit. (around €3000,- for a replacement unit)
They're now going try to get approval from the lease company. If they get the green light the unit needs to be ordered and replaced.

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC
In the same boat as you... Today they took my Firmware from Version 0095 to 0200 and low and behold the crackling is still happening.

I'll be ringing them in the morning...

superbart

I got my car back yesterday after having the multimedia unit replaced.
It's now a H43 unit with software version 0407.
So far I haven't heard the crackling noises so this seems to have fixed it.

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC
Glad to hear you're sorted.

My Dealer has tried yet another update (407) but to no avail.
They are pushing for a new unit, fingers crossed that will happen.

Mk5Dom

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2.0 TDI CRBC
I'm finally having a new 'control unit' installed today. I assume this just means the brains in the glovebox and not the screen itself.

They are only doing what is expected of them by honouring the warranty but I have to say I'm impressed by Volkswagen UK and Lancaster Volkswagen in they way that they've handled it.

Sort of contradictory to what I've written above, but if any of you lot have this issue develop, just keep pushing them. The firmware updates do not work...