GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Turbo and all that goes with it.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
no tuner is going to push these engines to that limit to find out.

I think United Motorsports would disagree haha. Not to say they have a car and are actively looking for a breaking point, but they've tuned most of the CTS BOSS kits and all IROZ kits AFAIK, including more than a few that are making more than APR 3+ power on a totally stock block.

"Safe" is a moving target, that's the issue. One car to the next and you're not going to have the same outcome all other things being equal. So you set your goal, understand your risks, and cross your fingers. A good custom tuner will know to do things like soften boost onset as hard peak torque hits bend rods, limit torque targets to the currently accepted max, and give you all they can with the fueling you have available. That's the best you can ask for.

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
Yes, Iroz definitely found the breaking point of the DSG transmission in co-operation with UNited Motorsports. Then built a tune that was safe to over 700 whp on the DSG. Thus go with a tuner who knows what they are doing.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Mild thread hijack with a question....

Is no one concerned about the effects of this sort of upgrade on the pistons, rods, valves, head gasket, cooling capacity in the head? I see all these tunes and such without what I would think would be necessary upgrades to the items I mentioned.

Before someone chimes in that they've been tuned for x thousand miles without issue, I'm thinking more of extended stressing of the engine as might be experienced in a track day environment. In other words, more or less WOT for 20-30 minutes at a time.

End of hijack

Not quite the same type of track environment as a road course but I have a bad habit of hot lapping my car at the drag strip and during halfmile events. I've done 3 half miles with 30-40 passes at each (15-20 miles at WOT in a few hours) and ive had a couple of days at the 1/4 mile with 20-25 passes and have had zero issues outside of a cel for the cat. Car is a manual with 350 at the wheels so not quite big turbo levels I'm running a good bit over stock and most would consider what I do to be abuse.

Calubi

Ready to race!
I’m very interested in the results of this. I’ve had my eye on Frank’s turbo upgrades and am curious to see what people get out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USA

Ready to race!
Have put almost 3,000 miles on stock block APR stage3+ with zero issues. But only 8-10 hard launches. Going with the IROZ IMS650 wishing 1 month. This APR Stage3 + kit is for sale

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
Is there a link to this turbo you speak of?

Inigo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R
Save yourself the trouble and buy a better platform. This platform is expensive to build and make big power.

Ed @ EQT

GOLFMK7 Official Sponsor
Car(s)
MK8 Golf R
I've been running around at 500-600whp for about a year now on the stock engine and stock DSG. The car ran a 10.4 last year, has done a handful of road course days, and gets abused on the road and dyno constantly. Things are still holding up great. I was running at about 450ft-lbs but recently bumped it up to about 500ft-lbs and have now done a track day with that torque. So far so good... we'll see how much more it takes ;)

-- Ed

Inigo

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf R
You are so wrong and definitely don't know what you are talking about.

I know more than you do and I'll argue that with fact. I just finished a fully built block/head/FBO 2018 R with fueling etc. I've gone through four different turbo setups, three different fueling solutions, two tuners (now UM), blown 2 factory turbos, had issues with two others to some degree, bent one piston (the final straw before getting built)...on 28-30psi and E40 mix...

An entire build costs between 10000 and 20000 dollars depending on labor/parts and supporting mods. Dont believe me? I'll post the bill.

I dont dispute the speed of these cars but making a real 600+ hp at the wheels and uncorrected (no dyno fluff bullshit)...and especially at high elevation, is big money. You cannot dispute that.

For comparison, my S550 pulled sub 10s with a total investment of around 8k.

Don't get pulled into the false sense of security when you read people risking their blocks on high torque tunes and big turbos...These engines are not bullet proof. They can and will fail on high boost and with good tuning...

THEREALVRT

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
Golf R
I've been running around at 500-600whp for about a year now on the stock engine and stock DSG. The car ran a 10.4 last year, has done a handful of road course days, and gets abused on the road and dyno constantly. Things are still holding up great. I was running at about 450ft-lbs but recently bumped it up to about 500ft-lbs and have now done a track day with that torque. So far so good... we'll see how much more it takes ;)

-- Ed

that's crazy, but good for you, i couldn't do that but this is my daily after all

iTsLiKeAnEgG

Ready to race!
I know more than you do and I'll argue that with fact. I just finished a fully built block/head/FBO 2018 R with fueling etc. I've gone through four different turbo setups, three different fueling solutions, two tuners (now UM), blown 2 factory turbos, had issues with two others to some degree, bent one piston (the final straw before getting built)...on 28-30psi and E40 mix...

An entire build costs between 10000 and 20000 dollars depending on labor/parts and supporting mods. Dont believe me? I'll post the bill.

I dont dispute the speed of these cars but making a real 600+ hp at the wheels and uncorrected (no dyno fluff bullshit)...and especially at high elevation, is big money. You cannot dispute that.

For comparison, my S550 pulled sub 10s with a total investment of around 8k.

Don't get pulled into the false sense of security when you read people risking their blocks on high torque tunes and big turbos...These engines are not bullet proof. They can and will fail on high boost and with good tuning...

Kind of silly to compare with an S550 given their cost when new vs a Golf R and the vastly different driving dynamics. You'd also be working with an old S550 along with the expense of maintaining one and the boat like nature of driving one. The beauty of the Golf R is its balance of practicality and all around performance which the S550 will not match. It's a different experience altogether.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Kind of silly to compare with an S550 given their cost when new vs a Golf R and the vastly different driving dynamics. You'd also be working with an old S550 along with the expense of maintaining one and the boat like nature of driving one. The beauty of the Golf R is its balance of practicality and all around performance which the S550 will not match. It's a different experience altogether.
S550 is a Mustang chassis code. Silly not to just say "current gen Mustang GT" and assume people know what an S550 is other than a $100k Merc, but whatever.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Last edited: