GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone else go from an e36 to a MK7 GTI?

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
funny my 15 year old e46 325 it ... stick .... wagon. is on its' last legs. but i've driven it yesterday & ... maaaaan. beema is a beema. don't get me wrong, i love my '17 GTI.

but, you'll miss:
- cushier suspension (i'm 40 ... ;) - GTI is stiff
- v6 ... still pulls pretty well, for 15 yr old chelapy (but 260 torque on GTI does pass pretty anything on the highway ...)
- transmission ... gears are much taller on GTI. so you'll stall it occupationally for the 1st few months
- steering is much tighter on the 3. yeah "sport" on GTI tightens things up, but ... after 2 months, I actually prefer GTI on this. it's easier to live w/ in traffic
- & most of all ... you'll miss RWD

now, the reality of the situation is that GTI is most affordable, powerful & utilitarian german car out there. I've driven mazda3, yaris (i know, but it's fun), focuses, bigger 300 RWD, maximas. & ... there isn't anything out there hatchback for this price or RWD / stick under $30k (new). wagons have been replaced by FWD suvs. I wish BMW would have 2 series hatchback, they've got in canadia here, but they don't ....

so, you'll be happy with the GTI is a fun car. & when you put APR stage 1 on it ... wow.

ps: used. i've been looking at a v8 m3 stick, v8 benz CLS & E (2014 can be had for $30), or 2007 s4 v8 avant (but they have a problem timing chain .... $5k repair).
& a 2008+ 911 (but then your wife has to have SUV)

V6 eh? Pretty sure the E46 platform still uses the M52 motor which is an I6. :p

I used to have a E34 525 5-speed with a 3.73LSD, and while it was a boat, it was still fun and had the German tank quality to it. The MK7 still gives the quality feel in addition to feeling like a German car(because it is despite the Mexico assembly). I enjoy driving my car, and as long as I do not encounter any major issues, I plan to keep it for a while.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Yes! I just went from my 1997 E36 328i to a '17 GTI S. As you can imagine its a world's difference. I had an auto in my e36 and it was a pretty terrible transmission (especially when reverse started slipping and I couldn't reverse up hill) but I really liked a lot of the car. The GTI is an entirely different animal, not sure where to start. Much faster at lower speeds with the DSG box and there is more torque down low as well. The car feels much more sorted on twisty roads. The e36 felt heavy and at times the suspension felt overmatched by the weight. The GTI feels much more centered, and rotates much easier. Only place E36 feels better is putting power down out of corners (because RWD of course.) GTI is much more confidence inspiring and easy to drive fast, you can get in the car and hoon it from day 1. Steering had more feel in the e36 but I'm starting to come around to the sport steering in the GTI a bit more.

If you have any more specific questions I'd be happy to answer.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
I wet from a e90 335i to a MK7 GTI.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
E90 328i to a 17 mk7 SE. the GTI has more torque, the BMW was more refined. The GTI is more tosssble.

Explain refined? The GTi is pretty damn refined. We all define refined differently I think.

When I think of refined:

polished, civilized, subtle, precise, quiet, elegant, tasteful, purposeful.

The MK7 could carry a Bimmer badge and few would know the difference beyond the front drive/rear drive thing.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Explain refined? The GTi is pretty damn refined. We all define refined differently I think.

When I think of refined:

polished, civilized, subtle, precise, quiet, elegant, tasteful, purposeful.

The MK7 could carry a Bimmer badge and few would know the difference beyond the front drive/rear drive thing.

I had 2 E90's and an F30 328. I think the refinement he means relates to the I6 engine in the E90 compared to an I4 and even more, the stiffness of the BMW chassis. I enjoy my GTI Sport more than I did my F30 but you feel buzzes more in the GTI than the BMW.

heiney9

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport DSG
I had 2 E90's and an F30 328. I think the refinement he means relates to the I6 engine in the E90 compared to an I4 and even more, the stiffness of the BMW chassis. I enjoy my GTI Sport more than I did my F30 but you feel buzzes more in the GTI than the BMW.

Really, my Sport is rock solid, like a tank, no buzzes and no rattles, just a rock solid platform. Interesting

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Really, my Sport is rock solid, like a tank, no buzzes and no rattles, just a rock solid platform. Interesting

The e90 platform is like a vault though.

I could tell a huge diff when getting into my wife’s (now ex) Golf MK6.

I went straight from the e90 to my MK7 and I could tell a diff.

The MK7 is more tossable and fun around town. The 335i was 500lbs heavier but the straight line acceleration tuned was breathtaking.

No ragrets.

weborican

I went from a 1995 M3 (original owner) to a 2017 MK7. After owning the same car for 23 years I decided it was time to get something new. I've only had the MK7 for a couple of weeks now, but so far I love it. It is super nice to have a vehicle with new technology and none of the idiosyncrasies of a two-decade-old car:
  • hanging roof liner
  • partially detached door panel that interfered with the door switch causing the window sealing mechanism to wiggle the window up/down with every bump
  • non-working window washers
  • loose shift knob that comes right off if you are not paying attention
  • driver and passenger seat squeaks
  • broken release for tilting the front seats to access the rear seats
  • sticky hood release (makes it really fun to open AND close the hood)
  • oil leak that requires changing the engine block seal
  • a 130K miles old clutch

I was really worried about getting a front-wheel-drive car, but I am amazed at how far those have come along in last two decades. I barely notice any steering torque at all during normal driving and only a little during spirited driving. I also appreciate the DCC allowing me to choose a comfortable ride, a sporty ride, or customize it to my liking.

I really wanted a new M3, but I wasn't willing to (in good conscience) pay $60K+ for a used vehicle at this point. For $31K I got a brand new car that has pretty much all the amenities you can get, is sporty, and fun as hell to drive. The only two nit-picky things missing for me is:
  1. Remote Start
  2. Rear-seat accessible USB ports (those pesky kids always want to charge their devices)

The big question now is what do now with my 23 year-old, 195K miles, M3. I guess I could get it all fixed up so I can take it back to the track again, but that takes time + money, so I'm not sure I could pull that one off at the moment.